Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

What to do when furniture doesn't fit in

15 years ago

I stopped by Pier 1 today, I like that store.

I was just looking around, and I've been thinking of getting a table and chairs instead of the marble bar I've been using.

I found a beautiful set, but the chairs are upholstered in a black and white pattern that doesn't go with anything.

I didn't buy it, but what do you do if you really fall in love with furniture that doesn't fit in?

Comments (9)

• 15 years ago

Reupholster : )

Is this true love or fleeting lust? If it is true love, can you adapt to this new pattern?

B&W will be easier to incorporate rather than trying to fit in say, bright yellow and lime upholstery. Could this be a sign that it is time to think outside your comfort zone?

• 15 years ago

Hmmm. maybe it would work after all:).......
    I have a friend who has spent many years getting everything in her home just so. She has a lovely home and unlike me, a good eye for what works.
    One day, she and I were talking, and she spoke with almost contempt of her mother's 'garage sale decorating'. I love garage sales, but I know when to keep quiet.

I yearn to have a together home like many I've seen in the gallery pictures, but on the other hand I like what I like.

I'll let it all percolate a few days and go back and look at it again.

• 15 years ago

And I bet the mother had some real treasures! I am a fellow garage sale/roadside stand fan too.

"I yearn to have a together home like many I've seen in the gallery pictures, but on the other hand I like what I like."

I feel the same way, but rarely do I see a picture where I could imagine myself actually kicking-off-my-shoes-living. Magnaverde's place comes real close, I just love his style, but there is no way my house will ever have his flair. And I am sure that he would say THAT is the point. My house shouldn't look like anyone else's.

• 15 years ago

Look on CL and maybe save yourself a bundle. Check out this link and scroll down to see what Loribee, Trailrunner, and Lauraella all did with patio furniture. It's fabulous!! Then stick your money in an account to save for your old age. The more you save, the sooner you can retire. Mmmmmm... retirement!!! :oD

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty projects

• 15 years ago

Is it possible for you to recover the chairs yourself? Sometimes it's just a matter of stapling on some new material, depending on the style of the chairs. I've generally found that if I really love something it will work in my home, albeit with a little tweaking sometimes.

• 15 years ago

Oceanna, I LOVE that thread, I hadn't seen it

Ingrid, while the chair colors don't fit in at all, I like them just the way they are. It is a very pretyy black/white pattern.

• 15 years ago

Ah, yes. The love/lust/intrigue/affection/unsuitable problem.

In your little house, choices aren't dating...they are marriage. Marry in haste, repent at leisure...

You are suffering a common and potentially fatal decorating virus. It makes you say, "I have a plan and an overall scheme, and I want somebody to give me permission to throw it all out the window because I like something that violates my overall goals."

Well, dear Lucille, you're not going to get it from me!!
    Go back and examine your overall desire. If the set doesn't support it, RESIST!!
    You can like all kinds of things, but you can't use all of them and expect to get anything resembling a peaceful and satisfying whole.

Take a picture of them, put it in a book where you can enjoy looking at them, and move on to something that contributes to your desire for a long happy relationship.

• 15 years ago

Lucille:
    When this happens to me, I repeat a mantra I learned twenty years ago, "You can have anything in life you want, but you can't have everything in life you want." It usually reminds me that I've made other choices I'm happy with, and just have to move on.

• 15 years ago

STEP AWAY from that table. NOW. :+)