Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_d_1950

What to do about safe when selling?

jane_d_1950
10 years ago

We have a big gun safe in a closet in the garage, but we keep all our valuables in it as well. Do we lock the closet? Cover the safe? Or just let it be seen?

Comments (11)

• nelles_gw
    10 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me. I, too, have a gun safe in the garage.

• rrah
    10 years ago

Just let it be seen, but you should be sure it is locked, especially if it has guns. I would not lock the closet door. It would make people wonder what you're hiding even if it's nothing.

• scarlett2001
    10 years ago

We have one, too - bigger than the fridge. We just left it, it's not like anybody can walk off with it.

• camlan
    10 years ago

Leave it. Don't lock the closet, as people will want to know what's behind that door.

But do remove the key to the gun safe from the house, along with any valuables, prescription meds, etc., during showings. Just to be on the safe side. After some of the horror stories I've read, you never know what someone looking at a house will do.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I'd remove the safe and the valuables for the duration of the selling.

Knowing you have guns in the house makes you an enticing target for burglaries.

• done_again_2
    10 years ago

The sellers of our house had a large safe in an unfinished area of the basement. They left the area open and accessible. Due to the size and location we jokingly wondered if they would even take it with them but they did. I am very thorough and want to look at all areas of the house. I'd definitely leave the closet unlocked so buyers can see what's in there. It may be a positive to know a big safe will fit in there.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Knowing you have guns in the house makes you an enticing target for burglaries.

Really? I thought burglars were less likely to break into the house if they knew the owners had guns (that could be used to shoot burglars).

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Weedy ... they watch until the occupants are all gone, then break in and steal the guns and ammo.

Guns are quick cash.

• nelles_gw
    10 years ago

Lazy...if the guns and ammo are in a gun safe, the burglars would have to either crack the safe or steal the whole thing. Gun safes are not light - at least a two person job, plus a two wheeled cart!

• alisonn
    10 years ago

My father-in-law owns over a hundred guns and when the realtor said they shouldn't be in view in the closets, he told me he was going to hide them under his bed. I chuckled at the picture of some prospective buyer looking under that bed.

• scarlett2001
    10 years ago

Personally, I'm very uncomfortable with the whole idea of masses of guns in the house, but my DH had them b4 we were married.