Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gr82bgrammy

vintage farmhouse apron sink w/ backsplash, need faucet info

gr82bgrammy
15 years ago

Our original 1920 fireclay farmhouse sink has a built on backsplash. I want to get a new, more decorative faucet so I can put the original faucet in the smaller farmhouse sink with backsplash that we purchased for our laundry/butlers pantry area.

I'm having difficulty finding a faucet that fits in our dimensions, the spout needs to be about a 6 inch reach (no more than 8 1/2 inches out from the wall. The handle needs to be no more than about 3 inches out from wall. We have the normal 8 inch spread mounting holes.

The other option is to keep the original kitchen faucet in the kitchen sink, and purchase another faucet for the utility sink. It must also be a wall mount bridge faucet with a short spout reach.

Please help me locate the necessary faucet so I can use the sink!!!

Thanks, Terry

{{gwi:1782560}}

{{gwi:1782561}}

{{gwi:1782562}}

Still need to paint the underneath and sides of this sink

{{gwi:1782563}}

Comments (6)

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ooh, I adore vintage sinks! Very very nice pieces you have there.

What about a double-jointed faucet that's very flexible so you can swing it exactly where you need it in the 2 basins?

A lot of vintage sink folks go for a Chicago wall-mounted faucet: can't beat the price and it's commercial quality. You can buy the handles and the spout separately, so you can mix and max to find your perfect dimensions.
    This guy, for instance, seems to fit the bill for you. Chicago also makes nice double-jointed spouts to add to the handle of your choice.

Good luck!

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

I got this one for my antique sink, American standard 7295.252. It has a 5.63 reach. I got the smaller reach because the basin is rather shallow and I didn't want a lot of splashing.

I don't have a picture of it, but I have a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: American standard 7295.252

• danielleak450
    15 years ago

I just love your kitchen sink. I have a similar but it has legs. I would love to place it on a cabinet. Did yours come that way, or did you add the cabinet later?

• buffalotina
    15 years ago

Talking of your cabinets, I am wondering if they are original to the house and do you know what date/period they are? I am trying to redo my 1927 kitchen with something appropriate and they look very interesting. Is there any way you could post a few more pics of them and let us know if they are original?

Thank you so much!

Good luck!

Tina

• gr82bgrammy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses and compliments! Please continue to send faucet information if others have any to share!
    circuspeanut, glad you like my sinks! The original sink is one of the selling point for me about this house. DH wanted to get rid of it when updating the kitchen, and replace it with a new, undermount sink. I had to say NO to that idea every time the kitchen update project was mentioned (we are DIY, hubby VERY handy with his tools :) "blush") ! He finally got the picture that I REALLY want to keep the sink, so, after 16 years, we are proceeding with the kitchen project with sink in place! Well, he actually moved it out from the cabinets and raised it a couple inches. Love it!
    Thanks for the links for the faucets. I'm really wanting something with a little more character than those, preferably some curves. I've seen some, even ordered one, but the spout reach ended up being too far.

mom2lilenj, I like that faucet. It is the one I had decided on if I can't find something with a little curve to it. Could you tell me how high the soap dish is above the faucet? Actually, the measurement from the bottom of the bridge to the top of the soap dish would be great! DH extended my windowsill a few inches, giving me a wide shelf above the sink for my pots of herbs, and I'm hoping the soap dish wouldn't interfere with that. Do you like having the soapdish attached to the kitchen sink? I'd love to see a photo of your kitchen, and another of the sink area. Care to share?

danielleak450, I love the type sink you mentioned having also! My sink is original to the house, and these are the original kitchen cabinets. However, the sink had been undermounted for about 90 years and you couldn't see the "bulk" of it until this kitchen update! We recently removed the sink (fireclay, 42inch, very heavy) with the help of a jack, and DH cut the sink base cabinet down to accomodate the front edge of the sink, exposing the apron while raising the sink to a more appropriate height for me. He also had to extend the area under the window sill and behind the sink backsplash in order to move the sink out. I love what we came up with! The wide shelf is going to be great for my herbs this summer.
    buffalotina Our kitchen cabinets are origninal, except that DH had to alter the sink base to expose the sink as shown above. They were painted "wild berry" when we bought the house in the early 90's! I quickly toned them down to Ralph Lauren "country stove white" and that color has worked well for me all these years. As I mentioned above, DH is very handy, and I recently talked him into building me a butlers pantry with cabinets to match the kitchen ones. He did all the work himself, and they are a great match! We were even able to find hinges and he altered the mounting style, so they look like the originals as well! I can give you information on those if you are interested. I'll post photos of the before and after, so far. Keep in mind, I'm still looking for the perfect paint color (a tan green) and final touches.

before

now-added antique stove (for storage and serving surface), raised sink up and out, new countertop, drawer pulls, bead board backsplash - still needs paint, rug, new faucet, final touches
    {{gwi:1782565}}

{{gwi:1782566}}

{{gwi:1782567}}

New butler's pantry DIY, cabinets and all-still needs paint, dw panel to match cabinets, and a few final touches

• buffalotina
    15 years ago

Fabulous! Thank you so much for all those pictures. This is now my inpsiration kitchen - I want cabinets just like your original ones. Fantastic job on replicating them.

Yes, please could you post a picture of the new hinges and how you mounted them

Also, could you post a close-up of the panel of the original doors. I want to see the profile of the flat panel inset. Also I am wondering are all the old doors, including the uppers, face mounted or are they inset?

Thank you so much - I love your kitchen!

Tina