Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

What to do for the border?

littlehelen_gw
11 years ago

Hi, I've FMQ the center of an "around the world" quilt, now I need to do the border. The center is basic stippling and I am pondering if I should continue w/ stippling for the border or do something less filling. The border is white polka dot, black background which goes w/ the blk/wht/yellow center and I plan on using a soft yellow thread for the FMQ...what to do? I'd love to hear some more experienced ideas...

V.

Comments (16)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Your quilting looks wonderful! Having fun with the BSR?!? I KNOW you are!

I would do something different in the border, but don't have the border quilting skills to make a suggestion what it might be. Here's good article I've bookmarked on making border designs fit though. It might be useful: dreamweavers quilts border fitting

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I try to keep the density of my quilting somewhat balanced to minimize the possibility of the quilt getting out of square or not laying flat. That said, you can straight stitch around the interior edge of the border, 1/2" (or whatever distance you like)and then continue with a straight design in the black border. Remember that you are going to do a final squaring of the quilt after you finish quilting, so take that in to account for whatever design you choose (so you don't cut off a piece of your quilt design.)
    Pretty quilt - looks like you love your new machine & it loves you!!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I've been tempted to do a yellow, black and white large pot, but haven't done it yet. This is a great inspiration.

Sorry I don't have any great ideas for the border. It will come to you.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your input...I've been drawing designs in my head all week, playing on the machine this afternoon and I've finally settle on something that I think will work nicely.
    And yes MRG, sylvia and I seem to be getting along just fine...

Quilthen: Do you throw pots? how cool is that...

Hope to quilt the border over the next week...perhaps I'll get this wrapped up by next weekend.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Never grew up. Still like to play in the mud. DH is still organizing the new garage for our work area. Been getting lots of sewing done, but no throwing yet in the new house.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I know you've settled on what to do, but in the future, you might consider the Serpentine Stitch. I discovered it awhile back and love it. I used it on this doll quilt on the borders.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita...thanks for the idea...that would look nice w/ the polka dots...time to rethink perhaps.
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Rita~what a great idea! Val~this is perfect for the border and the curves compliment the stipple in the center.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita, I gave the Serpentine stitch a try on some scraps and I like it on the polka dots...but seem to be challenged keeping the hills and valleys consistent. Are you using a stencil or hand drawing?
    V.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I think its a stitch available on Rita's machine. I don't have that option but your machine might!

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Yes, this is one of the decorative stitches, if you have any on your machine, look to see if this one is there. If your machine doesn't have them, it's going to be hard to do it by guiding it yourself, this thing drives itself on my machine. Did you check out the other post on the serpentine stitch?

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Another thing you can consider is a cross hatch grid. You could mark the lines with a ruler and use your walking foot.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fran...thanks for the idea...I'm still considering options and probably won't get this wrapped up for another week.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Just a thought, but you could use the polka dots as a guide if you decided to do a cross hatch grid or zigzag or other geometric shape. Rather than marking, just connect the dots - or if you didn't want to go through the dots, connect the black spaces between the dots, but using the dots as guidelines. If I did that, I would probably use black thread for a more subtle look, but it all depends on what you are going for.

Have fun!

• lola99
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of what I was trying to describe of using the polka dots to guide your stitching...

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lola...thanks so much! The xross hatch is a clever idea that wont' require more thinking on my part...love it :-)
    V.