Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alterit_gw

do i 'frame' my 42 vanity mirrors or get frameless shower door

alterit
14 years ago

I am in the final stages of a major renovation.

I am faced with another decision that will cost me MORE money.

Should I spend about $200 more per vanity mirror to have them framed out. Apparently it is is not just wood trim but something a bit nicer.

I would do this on 3 mirrors. My Guest bathroom and my 2 Master Vanities.

OR ..Should I Take that MONEY put it towards 2 FRAMELESS SHOWER DOORS? OR DO I NEED TO DO BOTH??

Comments (14)

• oceanna
    14 years ago

42 vanity mirrors???

Should I spend about $200 more per vanity mirror to have them framed out.

Nope, not if money is tight.

Two things you can do. You can buy the trim lumber, and buy decorative squares that fit your trim lumber. Inexpensive. If you buy the squares it looks better, and you will just be making straight cuts on the lumber, no mitered corners. In fact, if you do your measuring before you buy, you can get the hardware store guys to cut your lumber for you. How easy is that? Paint the pieces black on the underside and do whatever paint or stain or artsy technique you like on the topside. Then use your hot glue gun to apply them to your mirror, keeping your glue toward the outer edges.

Or, buy those little glass marbles with the flat backs. You can get them all over, but deffinitely in Michaels, in any color or in clear (I used clear). They cost about $3-4 per bag and you'll only need one bag. Now with your hot glue gun, apply a single row all around the outside edge of your mirror. It's very pretty.

• alterit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

good ideas..

The contractor said I can have the mirror cut a bit smaller if I want to add later..but you are saying just go on top of the mirror?

SHOULD I SPEND MY MONEY ON FRAMELESS SHOWER DOORS?

• User
    14 years ago

If there is anything you can hold off until after move in and pay cash for, you're better off. And if you can DIY it, you're even better off.
    If you really want the frameless glass shower doors and want them now, then go for it. They are beautiful. But if it's something you can wait on......

• alterit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My contractor is really fair...I get his cost I think it was about $400 more for frameless vs framed on one door and same on the other . So about $800 extra.

I could do it later but It might cost me more cause I am not getting his pricing.

• User
    14 years ago

oceanna-- your suggestions sound great. any chance you have any photos of that? thankyou

• User
    14 years ago

If you feel comfortable with his pricing than go for it.

Sheilaaus Home Depot or Lowes, one of them, had kits to frame your mirrors.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

If the $400/door also gets them installed, then I'd do the frameless doors now and wait on the frames for the mirrors.

You can frame those mirrors for a lot less than $200 a piece.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

The contractor said I can have the mirror cut a bit smaller if I want to add later..but you are saying just go on top of the mirror?

Yep.

SHOULD I SPEND MY MONEY ON FRAMELESS SHOWER DOORS?

Please don't yell at me. I read your question the first time. If I had an answer for you I'd have already given it.

Thanks, Sheila. :o) I haven't done the wood frame one yet (I need to buy the squares). But I did the marble one...

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Get the frameless shower door now.

Leave room for the mirror frames. Then DIY it. Add molding or picture frame or tile or beads or anything else to dress it up.

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Are the mirrors already on the wall? If not I would have them cut down now before they are rehung and then add molding myself later. If they are frameless they are probably going to be glued to the wall and you wouldn't want to have to take those down and risk messing up your wall.

$200 a piece for framing sounds really high unless that's the price for new mirrors that are already framed. I would do what Oceanna said. The molding kits that I've seem are plastic and just don't look as nice as real wood IMHO

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Depends on what look you're going for - contemporary? Then spend the $ now on frameless doors and get them installed. More traditional? Then do a shower curtain(s) and frame your mirrors. It's not that hard to do (I did it with a huge jigsaw puzzle in ds's nursery) after the mirrors are on the wall, as long as there's room. Only thing is you want to paint the back of the trim black so you don't see reflection of the wood where it overlaps the mirror.

A mirror will be thicker than the jigsaw puzzle, so you'll need to route a channel in the back of the trim pieces where it overlaps the mirror, or else the outer edge of the trim won't lie flat against the wall. If you don't have the carpentry skills to DIY, ask your finish carpenter to do it - I'm sure it'll be a lot less than $200 per mirror (42" x ? each).

Do you have pics of bathrooms so far (vanities, sinks, faucets, lighting installed?) so we can see what style is?

Of course, oceanna's solution is much easier to DIY and looks so pretty (but more casual/contemporary). As always, oceanna, your painting is beautiful! I'd love to see your whole bathroom!

• vivachick
    14 years ago

We did semi-frameless for our shower door. It was MUCH cheaper than frameless and looks really great. Have you priced that out?

• annzgw
    14 years ago

If you want the mirrors framed later.....attach them to the wall with clips so they can be removed with no damage to the walls. Ok......maybe a few tiny screw holes to fill............