Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmp3_gw

Shower doors over the internet

gmp3
12 years ago

Has anyone ordered semi-frameless doors over the internet? We are redoing the entire house and I'd rather not pay $2400 for 2 shower doors. The brand I have seen that is affordable is called DreamLine. i'd love to hear any suggestions.

Comments (10)

• homebound
    12 years ago

Where did you get the quote, and did you get more than one? I like the idea of a referral from a glass shop, then relying on a professional install (and make sure they have studs behind the wall where it will be attached. I had a frameless installed for a client around a corner tub (two sides, with one door) and it cost a few hundred less than your number.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

A local glass shop will also measure and install, meaning they take the responsibility for the measurements. I agree with homebound and get several estimates from local glass shops. In today's economy most will match a better price if possible

• gmp3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll get a few more quotes. The ones I found are adjustable, and $580 with a few good reviews. Just wondering if anyone tried them. I don't need the world's nicest doors, but don't want the obscure glass gold framed ones I have now.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

What type of shower enclosure are you looking at? Slider or Bipass? Heavy Glass with a hinged door? Neo-angle? If you can answer these questions we may be able to help you understand the pricing as well.

• gmp3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My husband is very handy so I am not concerned about installation. Here is the door:

Here is a link that might be useful: shower door

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I will tell you that no reputable glass shop would sell something like that. Any quote from a glass shop will include custom sized panels and doors to fit you shower opening. You will not get anything like that with an overlap from a glass shop. Personally i think that is a bit cheesy but that is only my opinion.

• homebound
    12 years ago

I'm not a fan of the overlap, nor the hinge distance from the wall. Need a perfect install for it not to wobble eventually.

Just to be clear, are you buying two doors (similar to the one in the link) for two separate showers? If that's the case, the $2400 you mentioned seems quite high.

• User
    12 years ago

Even HD has better looking doors and for cheaper if you can use a standard size. Most standard shower units are fully able to use standard sized doors. Check into that first. The overlap bit looks awful but it allows you to customize the size in the field. I'd personally rather have a shower curtain temporarily until I could afford the custom size needed. $1200 for a custom sized door isn't too bad at all.

• gmp3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately the doors aren't standard.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

On Heavy Glass Showers there are technically no standard size doors, what we mean by standard are nothing out of the ordinary or extremely oversize. I personally think that that setup is ugly, you have an adjustable hinge and the glass is doubled up on the panel, not acceptable in my opinion.