Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewwhatsnew_gw

sofa or sofa/loveseat combo PIC help needed

sewwhatsnew
14 years ago

Do you like this traditional sofa?? I wish I had room for two sofas, but the inside wall is short, and a fireplace is going on the backwall. Is it okay to center the couch on the window wall? Loveseat would have to be on the inside wall, or if displayed like the picture my entryway would be very crowded.

Should I buy one couch? Would you like it on the inside wall enjoying the outside view, or in front of the window?? Tv will be above fireplace. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm also looking for recliners for entryway unless I choose a loveseat. Any furniture arrangement suggestions appreciated. TIA

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}href="http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/sewwhatsnew/?action=view¤t=house009.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• mistihayes
    14 years ago

I really like the sofa. The wood looks pretty.
    I'm curious to see what people suggest as I have a big window on one wall & a fireplace on the other. It's challenging to position furniture. People suggested bringing the sofas in more. When I did this, my sofa didn't cover the window. Could you do that? The back of my couch would have cut out a good portion of the light if I were to put it against the window.
    What would a sofa look like facing the fireplace? Is there room?

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I really like the sofa. I especially love it with the shot of red at the window tops. That whole room is pulled together very well. Please put a couple of spaces and a carriage return between your pics. Thanks.

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Should I buy ONE SOFA TODAY and maybe two solid color club chairs, or recliners in the future ?? I save $100 on each piece today only !!We have a drop leaf dining room table in front of the window now. It could stay there, and I could put the sofa on the inside wall. Or move table to inside wall, BUY SOFA AND LOVESEAT, which will shrink entryway or be placed on the opposite wall and call that room done!!!! OR move drop leaf out of living room when furniture arrives. DO you like sofa and loveseats on opposite walls?? I'm almost positive I won't be able to pull furniture away from the walls. If I bought TWO SOFAS ( my favorite look) they would only line up across from each other but not be centered in the window. Does the table look strange in there??? I sorta like it. I'm still considering silhouettes or wood blinds and silk panels for WT.
    {{!gwi}}

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

I think a floor plan would help, and maybe one of those on-line room planners. So the fireplace and TV will be on the wall where the TV is now? If you place a sofa and love seat on the two walls perpendicular to the fireplace-TV, can you still watch TV easily? How much room is on the other side of the entry way? What's there now? Could the table go back there? Do you have another eating area?

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

38" high will cover 19" of the window, maybe I should put the couch facing the fireplace wall which leaves about 39" on each side, but no table room. I did like these swivel barrel leather chairs, maybe I could put those on the inside wall. Would you like the sofa to be facing the fireplace? Would anyone consider TWO LOVESEATS???

• msrose
    14 years ago

Can you stand where the TV is and take a picture of the entryway? In the 3rd picture you posted, the room looks big enough to have a sofa facing the fireplace.

Laurie

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's sofa and loveseat layed out, not much room for a table next to the sofa. Maybe two loveseats are better??
    I could also arrange them facing each other, and then add to recliners where the loveseat in the walkway is, similar to an inspiration picture I have.

{{gwi:1386563}}
    {{!gwi}}

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Furniture Inspiration Pic
    {{!gwi}}

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

I'll check back shortly, time for yard work.
    Appreciate anyones advice...Thank you Thank You Thank You!!~

• les917
    14 years ago

Do you need the dropleaf table and chairs, or is it just there because you like it? How many people do you need to seat in the space on a regular basis?

Having done it several times, I would never again buy a couch and loveseat combo. I think buying either a couch or a loveseat, and then a pair of occasional chairs or recliners, is the way to go for versatility and interest.

Is the fireplace going to be real, or a faux (electric or gel fuel) fireplace? If it is faux, i would seriously consider putting the fireplace /tv combo on the shorter inside wall opposite the window, and preserving the larger end wall for a couch and tables/lamps. I would then put two chairs in front of the window with another table/lamp.

The dropleaf and chairs could then span the space across the room by the entry

Assuming you want to keep the chairs and table, and the fireplace and tv are on the end wall, I would put the couch (no loveseat) across the room with its back to the entry. I creates a nice defined entryway for you. Put a sofa table behind it. I would then put a pair of chairs in front of the window, with a table between them, and put the dining table and chairs against the inside wall.

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LES...THank you... I will order ONE SOFA right now!!
    Hope you liked the pattern?? The table doesn't need to be there, but it works for now. I think I'll put the sofa on the inside wall and buy two chairs for the entryway. We can enjoy the coutry farm view!! Sunroom is filled with reclining sofas and recliners, and hubby says its staying that way for awhile, so that is our main hang out. Perhaps NO TV in the front room!!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer