Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bullydosmom

Need another pep talk.

bullydosmom
10 years ago

Ok I'm the one with the big wall of blue paneling. Today I got 2 coats on the ceiling and one on the walls. I had BM mix the ceiling paint a quarter of the paneling color. It's a very soft creamy ivory. The walls are Palladian blue. I have been telling myself all afternoon as I was painting to reserve judgement until 2 coats of paint are on and dried. Tomorrow I will do #2 on the walls i had to stop my neck is killing me.

I'm dissapointed at this point. It looks beautiful in the dormer window and on the west wall. But the east wall ,where the dormer window is looks soooooo dark. The south wall while dark looking isn't as bad. I'm trying to tell myself it's because today there is zero sunshine here in CT it's rainy and gloomy and I have no lighting in the room.

After the second coat and the sun comes out and it's still too dark what's going to happen if I mix say, 1 quart of white with 3 quarts of Palladian? Will I have a lighter version of Palladian or a totally different color?

I'm beginning to think that the same colors in different parts of the country can look totally different because of the sun. And I'm not liking it's color as much as I love it in my bathroom in Florida.

Comments (3)

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Lighting is everything! I know how hard it is to feel you have made a mistake, but try to stay positive and wait until you have sun light and some artificial light in the room. I have seen lots of Palladian Blue in the Northeast and it's a lovely color. I hope it works out!

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

It is bad enough to have the paints look different in different rooms, but to have it look wrong in part of the same room is frustrating, isn't it? I had the exact problem you are experiencing in our office; all of the walls sections opposite the window looked so much lighter, you would swear it was a different paint color! But it was all Dunn Edwards Cream Wave.

My solution was not in any tip books I have seen, and my husband thought I was absolutely nuts. but in our case it worked perfectly. We happened to have the next darker paint on the sample fan strip on hand (DE Pale Beach), because we had used it for another room. I painted the too-light walls with the slightly darker color. Even though the broken shape of the room forced me to use Pale Beach next to Cream Wave, next to Pale Beach, next to Cream Wave due to the room indent, it all looks to be the same color now. Whenever we have told visitors where the different colors meet, they admit they cannot visually see them as different, whether lit by sunlight or room lighting!

It was a wacky solution, and I have no idea if BM has a slightly-lighter-than Palladian blue color, but it is something to consider before repainting the entire room. After all, other colors you use in that room may have the same lighting problem.

edit for photo (unretouched): Although a photo does not show what the eye sees, it will give you an idea of the lighting/color challenge of our office. The darker-appearing wall, in the middle of the photo, is actually the lighter paint color in shadow, due to how the light falls in this room.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 17:25

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Gyr, that is a great solution and completely makes sense!