Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Need your opinions on art for my kitchen

Jodi_SoCal
13 years ago

There is a sale at Gallery Direct on large Canvas Wrap art so I want to place an order. I'm undecided as to which of the ones I like work best with my kitchen. The sale ends soon so I need to gather opinions quickly. Thanks.

Below is a photo of a wall that is opposite our kitchen. Right now it's painted a silver-blue but I hope to eventually put a neutral grass cloth on that wall along with whatever canvas wrap I buy.

The photos with the art choices also has, in the lower left corner, a snip-it of our "fire & ice" kitchen and at the top, the name of the piece.

Tell me which one works for you.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

Comments (50)

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

I'm liking either #1 or #2, and with more thought, definitely # 1!!

• robin_g
    13 years ago

I vote for #2. Seems to go with the colors you have.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

My very personal opinion is that they are all too linear. If it was my kitchen, I would need something with a more organic feel to offset all of the straight lines of the kitchen.

• mclarke
    13 years ago

I'm loving "Charmed II." It brings out the blue in the walls and the silver in your appliances.

Nice.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

1 or 2 but agree that something more organic would be lovely for the kitchen.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can someone define organic? I have no idea what to look for.

Jodi-

• lisa71195
    13 years ago

I vote for #2 - GREAT colors and the "blocks" in the painting reflect the tile -

• htnspz
    13 years ago

"organic" would mean motifs that resemble nature. They would not be geometric or have hard lines like the pictures you have shown. Swirls, and curved lines would be nice as well, just as long as there aren't too many boxes or straight lines.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Charmed II.

You'll get your organic touch when you put up the grasscloth. And Charmed II will look great on that too.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Charmed II. I just seems to fit beautifully with your tiles and colors. I think it would be spectacular.

Organic refers to something drawn from the natural world, from living organisms.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I agree...of those style, #2 is the most complementary.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

An example of organic:
    {{!gwi}}

• htnspz
    13 years ago

Another organic:
    {{!gwi}}

• teacats
    13 years ago

Charmed II works best!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I took a quick look at Gallery Direct. Staying with the abstract, here are some examples of works that are not so linear. HOWEVER, you should get what speaks to you. There's nothing more subjective than our individual reactions to art. Just because I like a mix of forms and shapes in my environment doesn't mean you should.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

BTW, htnspz, I love that second painting you posted.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Art is such a personal thing that YOU should choose. But if it were me I would go with #1.

• caseyrose
    13 years ago

I like Nest 1 and consider it organic.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions and votes.

It looks like Charmed II is definitely in the lead. That's my husband's favorite as well. My fav is #1 (Nest 1) because I really love an Asian feel, hence so many horizontal lines.

I've taken the top two choices and added grass cloth to the wall. I always envisioned a natural tan grass cloth but once I started playing around with the wall design. I discovered I like a gray-green tone better.

I also found a couple somewhat organic pics I like.

#1 Nest I with grass cloth

#2 Charmed II with grass cloth

New additions

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

nest! or moss bowl!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guess what, I found another "organic" I like. And so does my husband.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

Definitely Charmed II. It really picks up the colors in your gorgeous backsplash.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I like nest 1 and watermark 1, but also like watermark 2 and 3 because they have a little more blue.

• chinchette
    13 years ago

I vote for the last one that you and your husband like. A) because you like it. Art is personal B) because of the curves and colors.

• les917
    13 years ago

WAtermark 1.

Charmed II looks like you are trying to match the tile - it is too much like it.

Love the Moss Bowl best for the look and shape, but I think it will disappear if you go with the grey-green grasscloth.

Remember, there is a saying about "Good art doesnÂt have to match the sofa". Pick something you love, not because the colors are the same as the backsplash, but because it speaks to you and brings life to the room.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Watermark I- lovely!

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

2 choices....I chose them quickly with out analyzing, then thought about why....

Nest- the colors work well, but mostly because you sense the movement- this is an area that you move through and the reeds seems to swish and bend with your passing;

Moss Bowl- the colors and the reference to the kitchen / eat-in area- there is whimsy to it w/out trying too hard

The curves of both of these- the bent reads and bowl contrast with the boxes in the cabinets and backsplash.

YOUR choice---but fun for us to consider....let us know!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And the winner is ...

Moss Bowl

Why?

- It's less obtrusive in our small space
    - Doesn't compete with back splash which is the real focal point in the kitchen
    - It has the Asian feel I love
    - It will go good with grass cloth
    - The bowl fits a kitchen theme without being to obvious
    - We both like it

I keep meaning to mention that the black line at the bottom right of the room photo is our granite counter.

Thank you everyone for your help. This has been fun!

Jodi-

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

Love the final choice.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Love it!!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My new art arrived on Monday. Here is what it looks like in my kitchen.

Can't wait to find the right grass cloth to complete the wall. Also, the white door on the wall will be replaced with a new 15 light door with rice paper panes to resemble a shoji screen. The smaller door to the right (central air and heat) will hopefully almost disappear under the grass cloth after piano hinges are installed.

Jodi-

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Perfect choice.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Love it~~~

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks gals! I've received lots of compliments on it. The style suits me and the kitchen perfectly.

Jodi-

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

It's lovely, Jodi! Please remember to post pics again after the grasscloth is up and your new shoji door is installed. I can't wait to see it then!
    Lynn

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will do that Lynn. I've chosen the grass cloth and found an experienced grass cloth hanger who also installs doors and casings. Just need to order the grass cloth which I've been told is on back order. As long I get it before 2011, I'll be happy!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

That's a GREAT choice!!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Back in September I asked for everyone's opinion on some art for my kitchen and the brainstorming session was very helpful. I posted a pic earlier of what I bought but now I want to post a pic of the final wall and door treatment that completed the project.

Installed grass cloth and new pantry door, rehung the new art and here is what it all looks like. We are very pleased. Mission accomplished. Now on to the next five projects. :-)

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Jodi-

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, it looks great!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

The wall-covering looks great and good choice on the art. Nice job!!!

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I love it!!!!

• diychicken
    13 years ago

Love it! The artwork fits your space and decor perfectly.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Jodi- you must be tickled pink! It looks amazing...

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, we are thrilled with how it turned out. The white door isn't quite so bright in real life, I think the flash made it pop a bit more than it really does.

We replace the big fat hinges on the door on the right (the heat/air unit) with piano hinges for a more low-profile look and painted them, and two vent covers the same silver-gray as our Aspire wall plates.

We flipped the pantry door (door on left which used to be a clothes closet) so that it now opens on the kitchen side and used matching pulls for both doors instead of door knobs. Much nicer look. The window panes are covered in rice paper film for a more Asian feel. The look I was going for.

Jodi-

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Hi Jodi,
    I had not found the decorating forum as of July so knew nothing of this thread until now. I was reading through the posts and shocked at the votes for "charmed" as it looked very '80s-'90s to me.
    The one you chose and the original "nest" one were the ones I was rooting for (and like the dragonfly one). I have to admit there was drama as I tried to read quickly to get to the final answer, lol....
    I think your choice is serene and simple and works so well with the look you describe. I also think the new door and grass cloth all tie in perfectly. The colors and textures complement each other.

• pamelah
    13 years ago

I am so happy that you posted a finished pic! It looks perfect!

This thread is one of my favorites because I am a big fan of art in the kitchen because it inspires and entertains the cook. Your space would inspire me to pour a glass of wine, start a good sauce, and get the pasta started!

When I was very involved in becoming a super sushi chef, I remodeled a kitchen around 6 paintings by this artist, Frank Monaco. High energy!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diana, I loved your 'drama' comment. LOL

Pamela, you're a sushi chef??? You are cordially invited to prepare dinner at my home. Arigatou gozaimasu. :-) Do you have any pics of your kitchen?

Jodi-

• pamelah
    13 years ago

jodi- your command of Japanese is impressive! Unfortunately, the sushi kitchen was 4 houses ago, so I have no pics. The good news is I can still prep a nice sushi dinner for a crowd. It's easy and fun so long as you have good tools and access to the right markets.

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

That piece of art really looks good in that spot. I love what you did with the doors and the wall. Good work. By the way what size is that art work?

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pamela, I spent a few years studying Japanese and kanji but I'm nowhere near fluent. I've also traveled to Japan a few times and have very close (Japanese) friends who live in Tokyo. My mother loved every thing about Japan and I've carried on the tradition.

Lyban, the art is 40"x40".

Jodi-