Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike99gt

Metal boxes, did I miss something?

mike99gt
16 years ago

Just had the inspector out for the rough in inspection of my basement. Everything went well except for the boxes I was using. They were raco single gang new construction metal boxes from home depot (the largest ones they stock) Inspector takes one look and tells me my boxes are undersized. I only have 2 12-2 wires running to each box but we did the calculations and they were way too small. He said only way I could use metal was if I stepped up to the 4" square boxes. I wanted to use metal because that's what's installed in the rest of the house so I took another look at a couple stores and all they sell are the same sized racos. I guess I learned the hard way why they are called "switch boxes". I then asked the inspector if 2 14 gauge cables would fit but their still wasn't enough volume in these boxes. So now I'm in the process of switching them all out to the oversize blue plastic boxes (ugh). My question is what's the point of these metal boxes if they are legally full with a pair of 14-2 wires before you even have the device installed?! Maybe I'm confused here so hopefully one of the pros can step up and help me out. Also 1 question about the blue boxes: Do you break out the plastic knockout completely? What clamps the wires in the box? Thanks

Comments (9)

• tom_o
    16 years ago

Yes, you break out the plastic KO. Wires are not clamped but rely on the staple that you will install within 8" of the box.

The box that you used could be used in conjunction with a surface extension box in order to transition the concealed wiring to a surface mounted exposed wiring method.

Next time, do your electrical shopping at an electrical supply houseand you might have a little better luck.

• petey_racer
    16 years ago

EXACTLY! You'd be quite surprised at what "non-standard" items the big box stores carry.

I walk down the isles and just shake my head.

• normel
    16 years ago

Yeah, aren't those blue 8ci boxes just sooo cute?

• joefixit2
    16 years ago

I always wondered how they got the name "handy box". They are not really so handy at all. Maybe they mean "handyman box"?

Best way if you need metal is 4 squares with plaster rings.

• leevin
    16 years ago

Right about the non standard stuff.

The other day I went to Home Depot to get some SqD QO single pole 20's (my supplier does not carry SqD). They had none. However, they had a huge supply of single pole 30 amp QO's. I can't remember ever needing a single pole 30!

• spencer_electrician
    16 years ago

They make sure to have plenty of 30's so that when homeowners come in and say that they have a breaker that trips. They dangerously can tell them that the safe sollution is to up their breaker to a 30. Home Depot electrical expert- "A larger breaker is able to send out more power" Hardi har hah

• normel
    16 years ago

I've got a good supply of 30A sp breakers myself... all those I've removed from the 15A and 20A circuits they were installed in. Not sure what I will ever do with them. Hmmm maybe HD will take them back?

• DavidR
    16 years ago

Oh boy, I can just see it coming in some future code - one-way breakers. Install them once and they never come out, so ignorant homeowners and idiot big-box employees can't cause fires. If a breaker goes bad, you have to abandon it in place. When you run out of slots, you have to install a new panel and junk the old one, since you can't change out any of the breakers for a subfeed. <shudder>

• evans
    16 years ago

I have a single 30A for a small sub pannel. Never knew they were rare. People really just swap out for 30A? I'd be suprised if a HD employee advised that. They seem good in NJ.