Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diymadness

Budget Bathroom Makeover Done! (pics)

diymadness
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I posted about a month ago about a budget bathroom makeover that I was embarking on. Many of you helped me with my work on refinishing my golden oak vanity and figuring out what to do about the very dated medicine cabinet and Hollywood lights. Thank you again for all your help.

Anyway, I have finished the project and I'm very happy with the final outcome. I'm posting some before and afters as well as a source list/budget. But first, a little background. When I moved into this house, the bathroom was the least offensive room. It had been added on in the 1990s and was just dull -- cheap, beige, and builder basic. Other, awful 70s decor was more pressing. Anyway, after 7 years, water damage in the bathroom forced me to do something. I knew that the tub surround would have to be ripped out and so I thought I would get a new and deeper tub, and since the floor needed repairing, I thought I would replace the vinyl with tile. And I decided to add a ventilation fan to prevent future moisture problems. But I had very little money for this unexpected reno, so I wanted to save everything else -- the layout, the vanity, and the toilet. The whole thing turned out to be more complicated than expected because the handyman that I hired discovered that there was a crack in the base of my toilet and extensive damage to the floor. The subfloor was also made of fiberboard, which is not suitable to lay tile on. The poor guy had to take the floor down to the joists (without touching the vanity, which I had spent forever refinishing with Polyshades.)

Here are the befores and afters:

Vanity before:

Vanity after:

Tub before:

Tub After:

Window wall before:

Window wall after:

Old light fixture:

New light fixture:

And here's a closeup of my little art project. I picked some native plants in my garden, pressed them, spray painted them silver and framed them:

Here's a list of budget and sources:

Tile from Home Depot -- $3/foot

Medicine Cabinet -- $32 (final clearance) at Homesense

Soaker Bathtub -- Home Depot, $300

Paint -- Barely Beige, Benjamin Moore

Trim -- Ivory White, Benjamin Moore

Shower curtain -- about $30 on Amazon

Bath Mat -- $20 Pier One

Light fixture -- $100 at Home Depot

Toilet -- used, $75

Blind -- Miscut at Home Depot so 50% off, $22

Glass shelves -- these were my big splurge at $60 each

Towel rod, towel ring, paper holder -- Home Depot, probably

$100 all together.

Most of the accessories are from Dollarama. The frames were $2 each. The tissue box cover was $2. The glass jars were $1 each.

I estimate that, including all materials and labour, the bathroom cost about $3800. I know that that's nothing to sneeze at, but I think it's not bad considering that the handyman had to install new tile board around the tub, new plywood on the floor, and wire in a new ventilation fan, in addition to all the "visible" work.

Thanks for looking at my new bathroom. It makes me smile every time I go there.

Comments (41)

• susanwrites
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh it is simply lovely! I have to tell you that it was watching your process with your vanity that had me tell the painter this morning to paint my little oak vanity black too!

And I LOVE the three glass shelves! I've been trying to figure out what to do with the wall over my toilet. (My bathroom is smaller than yours.) I had a spacesaver there but it really sucked space out of the room. I think I might copy your three shelves idea.

Congrats to you for all that hard work and having it pay off.

• kjmama
    13 years ago

Whoa - awesome!!! What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Oh wow, you just gave me a lot of inspiration since we have a bathroom similar to your's.

Funny about the pressed flowers. I've been pressing and drying flowers (with silicone gel) all summer and haven't really figured out what to do with them. Right now they're in an apothecary jar.

I love the idea of spray painting some of them along with leaves from our trees and framing them!

I actually bought a lot of different colors of spray paint last week, including silver and gold, so today I'll be in the yard snipping leaves! lol

• loribee
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh...this is LOVELY!

• andee_gw
    13 years ago

Really an amazing transformation. And that you did so much of it yourself, and with a tight budget, makes it all the more enjoyable.

• User
    13 years ago

That is gorgeous- and I love how you have the glass shelves along with the med cabinet/mirror. I don't think I would have thought of that but it looks perfect.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Love everything about it! (Pup, too.) I have been thinking about shelves and a clock in my bathroom and now I know I must do it. The vanity looks great but I think painting the trimwork made a big difference, too. Is the door trim new? Looks great! Also, I installed a curved shower rod a few weeks ago and it makes a bigger difference than I thought it would.

Back to looking at your pics, again. Thanks for the inspiration.

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

What an amazing transformation. You should be feeling great about your work! You have inspired to tackle my bathroom. I have been avoiding redoing my master bedrooom because I didn't know what to do about the bathroom!

Thanks for the inspiration and for posting the wonderful pics-enjoy!

• les917
    13 years ago

A lovely transformation! Enjoy your new bathroom. Ill bet you smile every time you walk by.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

This turned out great! I think you have real bargain here considering you totally redid the tub and surround which is no small job. The tile is just perect. I also love the look of the shelving.

Your doggie looks very sweet.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I'm taking away a few ideas! Thank you!

• diymadness
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! After a lot of work, it feels great to get such positive feedback.

I was nervous about the glass shelves, because I couldn't find any similar pictures but I'm happy with the way that they balance the medicine cabinet without adding too much visual bulk. They're from Moen.

I replaced all the trim with a chunkier, Craftsman-style trim and painted it white. I've been gradually replacing all the skimpy oak trim in my place.

This was a real shared job. My wonderful handyman (maybe I should call him a contractor, but he does all his work himself) installed the new tub, toilet, light fixture, and fan and did the new tile on the floor and in the shower. I painted, replaced the trim, refinished the vanity, made the art and installed all the details, like the shelves. This shared approach made the project do-able (this is my only full bathroom, so I needed it done fast) and also kept costs down.

Anyway, I know that it is still a small and ordinary bathroom (nothing like the fabulous and luxurious ones I see on the web and in magazines), but it is now clean and dry (the dry part is very reassuring), as well as calm and cheerful. I love to garden, so the touches of green and the leaves are a reflection of my interests.

I'm glad that some of you got ideas from it. I get so much inspiration from this forum.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

WONDERFUL JOB! My favorite thing is the brick pattern of tile layout in the tub surround.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

YAH! It looks wonderful! Very spa-like! Clean, light, luxurious, refreshing! Love it!!

And I'm sorry that a smallish repair turned into a reno snowball...they do that sometimes. It sounds like you make a good team with that handyman, so I'd keep him around.

I'm really happy for you with how it all turned out. And does this mean that I should be using that fan in my bathroom more? I don't like to use it because it's loud, but I've wondered about all of that steam...yikes!

• diymadness
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, franksmom!

Yes, I was happy to find a handyman willing to do a small job on a budget, and willing to share the project. They are all so busy in this area that it's hard to even get someone to call you back.

I would say -- use your fan. Maybe replace it with a quieter one -- they're not expensive. My water damage was caused by a cracked toilet base and a cheap and cracked tub surround, not the lack of fan. But the moisture in the air also caused damage to the drywall in the room and probably contributed to the other moisture problems since things didn't dry properly. After seeing all the rot, mold, and mildew that was hiding under the plastic surfaces in my bathroom, I now have a horror of moisture. Anyway, bathroom fans are required by code here, so it was also just part of bringing my house up to standard.

So great to wake up to all these wonderful comments. Off to have a shower in my new bathroom! And by the way, curved shower rods really do add a lot of elbow room.

Kristina

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Beautiful! The glass shelves and your art project are genius. They really add a great touch. Wanna help me with my 'on the cheap' bathroom reno?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic transformation!

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Wow, it looks wonderful! I love everything. Something interesting I noticed; before I thought your countertop was dated but even though it's the same countertop-it goes so perfectly with everything you did that it doesn't look dated at all. It looks great.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Fantastic transformation -- really magazine worthy!!!

Very well done indeed on each and every project!!!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Really great job...and I love those glass shelves too, they look so nice there. The whole bathroom turned out nice and I love the soft colors. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

Everything looks great! You must be so happy with it! Each part of the project really contributes to the overall transformation. Love your art project too!

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I'm impressed! I especially like the use of the shelves to fill that space and the silver DIY art. Everything looks terrific!!

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

Very, very pretty ... wonderful transformation.

I love your native plant art work ... turned out beautifully.

I also think it's funny how all our pets need to be in the pictures we take ... aren't they funny?

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

Beautiful bathroom! I love how your vanity looks! Polyshades, huh? Does it take much sanding? You did a great job! Love it!

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

It looks great - congratulations! I like all the details that make it so interesting like the unique wall art.

The shelves are perfect. I bought some a few years ago and still need DH to install one in the powder room. The others are waiting for my bathroom redos.

• diymadness
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Betteratthelake, I didn't really sand the vanity much at all. I just "scuffed" it. That's the advantage of Polyshades. But the job took many coats. You can do a search for my earlier thread if you want the details.

• rushmom3
    13 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! That is amazing! Love the shelves, love the artwork, love everything. Great job!

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

You know, I may totally steal that idea for the framed leaves. I need *something* for our bedroom walls, but nothing I've looked at seemed right so far. I like that it's natural, neutral, and adds something from outdoors, but isn't too girly or foofy.

I also really like those glass shelves. I'm really happy for you ! It all looks just great!

• denali2007
    13 years ago

I loved your art project! It coordinates nicely with the shower curtain. Great idea.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Fabulous, inspiring re-do! Love your new light fixture, shower curtain, tile, cabinet paint & hardware. Your shelves are SO cute! You made great choices all around.

Am studying options for bath updates, & yours is a wonderful example. I have a very similar bath!

Thanks for posting pics of your before & after looks.

ENJOY!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Oh, & your artwork is spectacular! Great job!

Love how you placed the trio vertically over the "toilette." Very stylish.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Oh, what a wonderful job you did! Your taste was right on and I love that you did it all on a tight budget. Your choices should be timeless.

I especially love your little art project -- how clever of you and they look so pretty.

Please, how did you turn your vanity from oak to dark? Did you just paint it dark brown? Or does it look wood grained? Or? I have an ugly vanity I should update.

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

That is really nicely done! I can't believe you turned that vanity into the nice thing it looks like now. Perfect color and accents. (The glass shelves really make it and I would love to know what brand/style those are.)

• jlc712
    13 years ago

You should be so proud! It is an amazing makeover, even more so with your budget. Love it!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Love the shelves and the whole redo. I think the shower curtain/rod really make a big difference too.
    I do not consider this a "budget" re-do, because there is no sign of budget to the finished look ;)

• diymadness
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

Oceanna, to refinish the vanity I used Minwax Polyshades (a mixture of stain and poly) over the existing finish. But beware -- it took 5 (or maybe even 6, I forget) coats to get it that dark. There is an earlier thread about this -- let me know if you want more details.

Cinnamonsworld, the glass shelves are by Moen and the style is called "Sage".

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

Thanks diymadness! I'll look for your thread now. I love how your vanity and bathroom turned out!

• cheryl217
    13 years ago

On the chance that you're still keeping up with this thread, can you tell me how you pressed the leaves. All instructions I found call for waxed paper and I can't see paint sticking to them after that...thanks!!!

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

I just found this thread and also would like to know about your pressed leaves. Never had success with it. Wonderful bathroom.

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago

Hi diymadness,

I love your budget makeover. There are some great ideas there and everything looks so good. I love the shelves and painting the vanity was a great idea. I wanted to mention something that I had not known about until someone pointed them out to me here on this forum and I have found them to be great. Just thought that I would mention them because in your window photo it looks like the crank gets in the way. These t-cranks are great and inexpensive.