Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krissie55

Accident waiting to happen....electrical wiring

krissie55
12 years ago

Twenty years ago we made a bedroom in half of the garage and had a window air conditioner installed with new 220 outlet. My brother was the contractor and brought his own electrician with him to do the job.

About 10 years ago we had plumbing problems in upstairs bathroom above the bedroom in garage. Plumber tried to unclog the sewer line via roof top. The next day or two there was a huge leak in ceiling of garage bedroom, the plumber had knocked lose sewer pipe joints. The ceiling and wall were soaked with sewer water.

After having sewer pipe repaired I decided to wash the wall with bleach water to kill germs and when I touched the sheet rock with metal handled mop I was shocked. Could not imagine why sheet rock would shock me.

In disbelief that sheet rock could possibly shock like that I tried again, same thing. Threw down the mop, called my husband...he did not believe me and was going to touch the wall. With my screaming at him at top of my lungs finally got him to not touch the wall and to go turn off house electricity.

Called an electrician from a commercial electric company and he could not believe sheet rock would shock me. He found out the wall was indeed "hot" and took a while to find out why the sheet rock was "hot". The electrician my brother brought to wire the bedroom had wrapped electric wire (220) around a stud and then nailed through the wire.

Very alarming to me to realize our teenage daughters had been using the bedroom for many years with a "220 hot nail" in the wall.

Reason for my posting this story is to warn others to be sure you have a "good electrician" regardless who hires them, watch what is being done and pray you never have similar experience.

I am still shaking in my boots thinking about what could have happened in all those years with a hot nail in the wall.

The electrician I hired from the commercial electric company told me in later years that he had "great mileage" telling my story to others. It was a story to top all stories!

Comments (2)