Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dajeli

Small island with prep sink...pictures please

dajeli
15 years ago

I am trying to decide if I should put a prep sink in my island. The island is only 5 x 2.5, but I think the 2nd sink would be useful. I'm afraid the island is too small. If anyone has pictures that would be awesome!

Comments (8)

• User
    15 years ago

Sorry, I don't have pictures.

My island is just over 5'x 2.25' plus a 10" overhang making the counter about 72" long. I have a 15" round undermounted prep sink in the end cabineton the long side. The cabinet is 18" wide with the sides partially eased down for the thickness of the sink flange. It doesn't look cramped and it works really well. The overhang is useful for pulling up a stool to work at the counter convenient to the sink and gave me a little landing space on one side of the sink while giving me about 45" of uninterrupted counter space on the other side. I didn't have the space to make the island bigger but the overhang is tolerable. The sink is a good functional size.

You should figure out the counter sizes you will left if you put in a sink and decide if that is enough for your needs.

• dajeli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judeny
    Do you have a page on the finsihed kitchen website? There are a lot of prep sinks pictured there, but there's no way to know the size of the islands.

• kidshop
    15 years ago

My island is a bit larger than 3ft by 4 ft. I have a 13 inch overhang. The sink is 13 by 16 (inside). I love it and couldn't live w/o it.
    {{!gwi}}

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Kidshop -- nice looking island and kitchen! May I ask where are the fridge, stove and microwave? Does the person in the left-hand stool get splashed? Curious to see more pics -- will check the FKB for your kitchen.

Thx!
    Chris

• dajeli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kidshop
    I can't get into photobucket to see your kitchen pictures. I would like to enlarge the shot. Is your kitchen on the finished kitchen website?

• maydl
    15 years ago

My island is 4' x 5' with a 12-inch overhang. My prep sink is same size and location as kidshop's. When you are looking at the island, like in kidshop's photo, the fridge is to the right across a 36" aisle, the range top is just behind across a 36" aisle, and the main sink is to the left across a 36" aisle. In my island, the end with the sink is slightly lowered; there is a 3" wall behind the sink and faucet. So, no splashing toward the left-hand stool; however, I don't think there would be even if there was no wall.

To make an island prep sink useful, you've got to have lots of space next to it for working. I've got about 30" clear to the left of the sink when I'm standing there, and it isn't too much!

Sorry about no photo. Couldn't get into Photobucket for some reason.

• twoyur
    15 years ago

Here is link to my island with sink in it

BTW it is the only sink but for some it would be prep size

island is 34 x 51 with overhangs and sink is 16 diameter 9 inches deep

after living with it for 2 years we are still happy with it

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kidshop
    15 years ago

I'm not in the FKB, we have a few things left to finish...trim and backsplash. here are some more pictures;

My island was supposed to have 2 doors/2 drawers and I wanted the sink to be sideways to make more room for seating, but when it came it had 3 doors/drawers. I couldn't give up the middle drawer, and I didn't want to wait longer, so I decided to live with it as is. My previous island had an 11x12 sink in the same location, but the overhang was only 11" , so at least I knew it would work ok. The person seated behind the sink doesn't get splashed, and there is enough room for a regular dinner plate. i think I will turn the faucet handle to the front though, b/c water does drip on the counter.

(sorry, don't know why that last pic is so big!)

I will post more info on the under $20,000 thread soon. As you can see we kept our old appliances for now!