Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieanneryan

Help me choose some nursery details

bonnieanneryan
9 years ago
Our first baby, a boy, will be here in April! The biggest stuff is done but I need help choosing drapes and some other accessories. The goal was grey and white with some teal and yellow accents. I'm having trouble bringing in the accent colors.

Pic 1: View from closet
Pic 2: Glider
Pic 3: View from glider
Pic 4: These baby animals will be hung above the dresser

Comments (55)

• PRO
    ETHAN ALLEN North Andover, MA
    9 years ago
    Nice job so far. Add a big scale pattern on the windows to draw the eye.
    bonnieanneryan thanked ETHAN ALLEN North Andover, MA
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Johanne - Good idea!
    Ethan Allen - Thanks! Any photos for suggestions for patterned drapes you'd use there, if you have a minute? :)
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have these flowers on one of the shelves of the bookcase for a pop of yellow. Too girly for a boy nursery?
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you! Good advice about hanging them :) I can picture it now - a normal diaper changing turned into baby animal wall art disaster, LOL.

Anyway, these throws from Target come in either a teal or a gold.

And this is kind of interesting - teal elephant pillow.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I can't find a side table worth committing to for next to the glider. What do you think about this? It also comes in teal (matches the bookcase) and grey, either of which might be overkill. Thoughts?
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    Have you looked at the west elm side tables? They are on sale right now. I always thought the martinet table was cute for a nursery and there are some other options as well. You could do white or use it as a chance to bring in some shine in silver.
    bonnieanneryan thanked intown123
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    Martini I meant
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, intown! I like those, but I would like something with a little bit of added storage (that nook might be for reading books before bed, feeding a bottle, etc. and I think I need a little bit of extra storage out of the whichever table I put there. I also had something like this in mind but I can't find it in stock. Anyone have any other suggestions?
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    9 years ago
    Bonnie, Have you looked at( the Land of Nod ) website from Crate and Barrel, they have tons of cute things and some neat lamps for your nursery.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I've looked!! Very cute site!! I'm hoping I can get some actual suggestions for items, though :) Lots of stuff is cute but I don't know if I'm on the right track with it. We still need the side table, lamp, drapes, and changing pad cover. Now it's down to the wire with adding the accent colors and I don't want to go overboard, LOL!!
  • chloebud
    9 years ago
    Bonnie, I, too, was just going to suggest Land of Nod. Our daughter is also expecting her first baby (boy) next month. Their nursery is gray and white with some touches of blue...couple pics attached.

I thought this white coat tree from Land of Nod was kind of cute...

http://www.landofnod.com/owl-branches-coat-tree/s329495
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Very cute! And the nursery is beautiful!!
    I'm hoping I can get some more specific suggestions on the items I have remaining to buy and how to incorporate my accent colors a little more. I know where to get items, and I've posted a lot of them here. Just want another eye looking at this stuff and maybe recommending some things I haven't thought of :)
  • chloebud
    9 years ago
    You've done a terrific job. I love your baby ainimal pics. I also like the yellow lamp you posted. Johanne's suggestion of the gros grain ribbon or ric rac on drapes would be cute, too. You could also sew on some large yellow or teal buttons in certain places, if that makes sense. Yellow buttons with teal stitching or vice versa. Very cute on white cotton drapes. I know it wouldn't add color, but would plantation shutters on the window be a possibility?

I think the pegboard our daughter and son-in-law put up was a great idea. It can be used as the little guy grows for his "artwork" and other things.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank chloe! We just had the faux wood blinds installed throughout the house and, since we won't be doing plantation shutters on the other windows for at least a couple of years, I think the blinds will have to stay. I love the pegboard and have seen it a lot on here :) I don't have a ton more wall space for it though (don't want to hang anything right above the crib). I could put one to the right of the crib, in between crib and glider (above where the side table will be, if you have any suggestions for that!). Thanks again :)
  • chloebud
    9 years ago
    I totally understand about the wood blinds...which are fine! I see what you mean about wall space and you probably don't want to fill it all up. I'd have to see a shot of that wall with the crib and glider...maybe a small-ish pegboard, but the stripes on the wall could be enough...very cute! Guess you could do it above the dresser as he gets older, and you decide to replace the baby animals (love them!).

Congrats on all this...the birth of your first child is always something very special! We are over the moon about the arrival of our first grandchild next month...if not sooner!
  • Carol Singletary
    9 years ago
    I love the look you are creating for your new little guy. Go with the lamp and curtains you posted, then add the teal throw and find a changing pad cover in the same color. That gives you about three touches of each color, right? And that should be perfect.

If you could find a pillow for the glider that had both the yellow and the real, it would be even better.
    bonnieanneryan thanked Carol Singletary
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    Try wayfair - large selection. Here is something I found that may work - I like that it has a drawer and the space may be large enough for a bin in your accent color or just use as a bookshelf.
    http://www.wayfair.com/Child-Craft-Shoal-Creek-1-Drawer-Nightstand-QH1313.html?piid[0]=7030707
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    If you like it consider changing the knob to match your dresser.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Chloe - congrats to you! Your new grand baby will be here before you know it!!
    Carol - thank you so much! Good suggestions, I'll keep my eye out for a pillow with yellow and teal. I also saw changing pads on etsy with both teal and yellow designs, but I fear they might be too busy for the room.
    Intown - thanks, a good and inexpensive option!!

Ran into a snag - the curtains I chose from West Elm are no longer available. I loved them because they had a bit of yellow and grey. I saw these, but I wonder if it's too much for this simple room.

Pics 1 & 2: Possible new curtain choices?
    Pic 3: Changing pad cover fabrics - too busy?
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I think you may want to get black out type drapes for the room. They are not necessarily dark fabric, however have the ability to block the light. Check Ikea. Great things for babies there too.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Usually for the style I recommend floor length drapes, but remember your little one will, before you know it, be on the floor crawling & pulling at things, so I would go with a length about a foot beyond the bottom of the window.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sandra - thanks! We don't have Ikea here :( This room, despite the photos, is extremely dark throughout the day, especially when the blinds are closed. There's a huge mesquite tree right outside of that window, and the sun sets in this direction. There's very little time we actually get light in here, which is why we haven't bothered looking for blackout curtains.

What do you think of the patterns in my previous post? Too much for the design of the room?
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    PS: if the room isn't dark enough with whichever curtains we choose, I'll buy the blackout panels and have them sewn in.
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    9 years ago
    I know it's not yellow but have you ever looked at the Jonathan Adler giraffe lamp? You could always customize it with a yellow shade.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's adorable, Johanne!!!
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just looked up the giraffe lamp.. I can't afford to splurge on him but he's too cute!! LOL.

Anyone have suggestions for the drapes since the originals aren't available in my size anymore? Still looking to hang something yellow or mustard-y there but I don't want it to be the "yellow elephant" in the room!!! Just enough to pop, but not so much to be ridiculous.
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    9 years ago
    The teal pillow you have with that cute elephant along with a giraffe lamp and I'm seeing an animal theme!
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The theme of the room is baby animals (it all started with the animal prints and the bedding). So we're definitely on the right track. I didn't want to go too overboard with it... so I think we managed to stay on track. Can't afford the giraffe lamp :( I splurged on some furniture.
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    9 years ago
    I found these drapes on pottery barn and they come in yellow or gray.
    bonnieanneryan thanked Johanne Blansche Designs
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like them! But PB's drapes are usually pretty expensive. Do you think the chevron ones that I put up a few posts ago would work? They might be a bit cheaper. Are they too "out there"?
  • Carol Singletary
    9 years ago
    The chevron drapes are nice and NOT too out there. I do think the pictures of the patterned changing pads might be a bit busy for this space.
    bonnieanneryan thanked Carol Singletary
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Carol, thank you! That's what I was thinking, too, about the changing pads but I figured I'd show you guys. I have a teal vase on the dresser right now, so maybe just a yellow or grey changing pad.
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    9 years ago
    I agree, I think the patterned change pads might be too busy.
  • asiandog
    9 years ago
    Just from my experience, forget the changing pad cover. It will get dirty and stained. I opted to buy cloth diaper type burpy cloth and to wipe butt etc after using wipes and to collect the occasional pee or poop explosion. I would wipe down changing pad with babyganic or all natural cleaner if pad got soiled. Whatever table you get, make sure it doesn't tip over easily when ur baby gets bigger. They will climb everything. You can always get small book shelf and put things on top like white noise machine and video camera over the crib.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    asiandog - Thanks! I do have a bookcase - it's that teal thing in the right corner :)
  • asiandog
    9 years ago
    I saw the bookcase. Beautiful. But if u think u may use baby camera then think of either wall mount or put on table or some furniture near crib. Also maybe a cute bright oval or circular rug would bring some more color.
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! My mother said the same thing about an area rug :) Especially since that carpet is so... bland. And since it doesn't relate to the room at all.
  • S Reams
    9 years ago
    If I were you, I would go with the first curtains you posted from West Elm. While your other choices are nice, chevron seems to be "out" nowadays, and will only become more "out" as the time goes on. You want a space that will be nice until your baby gets older before you do renovations again, so I would advise against the chevron. Great room, by the way! You will have a lucky son!
  • alwaysdesigning
    9 years ago
    Just bring in some big artwork for the walls reflecting the accent colors. Change the knobs on the dresser to coordinate with your colors. Some crib linens with your accent colors should be plenty to round out your accents. Congratulations
  • Irene Morresey
    9 years ago
    Some ideas, congratulations, exciting times ahead
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    What do you think of something like this for curtains? I used to love chevron but I think it's been overdone now. It seems less original than something more simple. You could incorporate it into an seventh pillow instead of curtains so it's easier to switch out.
    http://www.target.com/p/threshold-fretwork-border-curtain-panel/-/A-14368569#prodSlot=_1_29
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    If you like the lattice curtains in New Zealand's second photo I saw something like that on the target website as well.
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    That was supposed to say accent pillow by the way.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @bonnieanneryan, have you checked out etsy.com yet for drapes? There are some options that may work for you, like these....including a really cute elephant pattern in yellow/white:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180598922/yellow-curtain-panels-50-x-63-inch?ref=cat_gallery_9&ga_ref=auto-1&ga_search_query=drapes&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade

Congrats also on your new addition! :-)
  • bonnieanneryan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    jsreams: Thank you so much! The first curtains were my favorite, but are discontinued now at West Elm. I didn't like the chevron option as much. I'm going to keep my eye out for more options.

blenheimnewzealand: Thanks for posting those! They're beautiful and, in fact, a couple of them were my inspiration!

alwaysdesigning: Good ideas! The artwork is already chosen (I already have those baby animals - they just need to be matted and framed). Those are going above the dresser and I don't have a lot more wall space to add much else (I don't want to hang anything over the crib. We don't have earthquakes often but they're possible and I don't want anything falling in there. The knobs are a great idea. The crib bedding is just grey and white (posted a pic in my original posts) and I already have it. I splurged on it so it's kind of non negotiable now, LOL.

Avery: those are great! I'll check to see if they have 95" panels. But they will be pricey. I especially like numbers 4, 7 and 8.
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    9 years ago
    I still like the chevron drapes you posted.
  • aaronsgifford1984
    8 years ago

Put pillow in solid grey chair

• classysass
    8 years ago
    Year old post. Baby is in school now.
  • aaronsgifford1984
    8 years ago

Yes i know I know but i still put in my two cents lol