Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creek_side

Looking for a new celery

Creek-side
9 years ago

Last year was my first growing celery. I ordered something called "Ventura" but the vendor was out of stock, so I ended up growing "Tall Utah". I was pretty happy with it, thinner, dark green stalks with a strong flavor (ideal for bloody marys) . It didn't grow very tall, which could have been due to the crap weather that had nothing growing very well in my garden.

This year I would like to try another celery. Looking for recommendations.

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Honestly given how difficult growing celery can be - often rated as the most difficult to grow vegetable - I've never found a variety I was truly happy with and I've tried several.

Given its very long DTM yet lack of tolerance for high summer temps makes it difficult. So does the need for such high consistent soil moisture levels and it gobbles up nutrients almost faster than you can supply them.

That said I get the best results from Par-Cel.

Dave

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Go to your favorite organic grocery, buy what you like, chop the spears from the bottom, soak the bottom, plant it, keep it moist and voila! Celery!
    I find that the celery I grow from the "stumps" is quite a bit stronger than what you get from the grocery store, so I love using it in soups!
    If you let some of it go to seed, you'll get PLENTY of seed! Nancy

• planatus
    9 years ago

I like to have a couple of the red celery plants in the garden to cut from all summer. There is one selected from Venture called Redventure that I think is better than Giant Red, but I haven't tried them all.

I let cutting celery reseed every couple of years, and always have several plants for the small trouble of weeding around them.

• mdfarmer
    9 years ago

This past season I grew Redventure, Tango and Tall Utah. I didn't really care for the Redventure, it was tougher than the other two, but it was very vigorous, and sold well at my market to juicers. A fair bit of my green celeries got some sort of disease, just sort of wilted and died. That didn't affect the Redventure at all.

I had bug issues with the Redventure, where bugs got in at the base of the plants and I spent a lot of time trying to clean them up enough to sell. That wasn't an issue with the green varieties, where the base of the plants was more closed off. I didn't notice much difference in flavor between Tall Utah and Tango. Tango matures a bit faster.

Next year I'm growing Tango and Tall Utah. I think the flavor's better than Redventure and the plants are more manageable. I'd like to grow a third variety, maybe Calypso, in case either of the other types gets diseased, but I need to keep track of sales, and more than 2 varieties of green celery might be too confusing. I've also never had disease issues in celery and am hoping that last year was a fluke. I find celery pretty easy to grow, so long as I keep the plants well watered. I also have to hit it with some sort of knock down insecticide every few weeks to keep grasshoppers in line.