Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Rose suggestions for my daughter

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I am excited, because my daughter who loves flowers and has grown many different kinds, but never roses (except for Knock Outs) indicated to me the other day that she would like to plant a few older ones. She likes all colors, but I think that she is particularly interested in a nice apricot, although I would like suggestions in all colors. Any recommendations that you think would do good in our Zone 6b would be helpful. FYI, the ones I have which are all doing good, are Reine des Violettes, Mme Isaac Periere, SDLM, Rose de Rescht and Zephirine Drouhin and those aren't out for consideration, but if there are others you think would do better, I would like to know.

Comments (19)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Its a once bloomer, but I have seen Alchymist and it is gorgeous. I plan to get it this year. Don't think a noisette would make it in your zone but if you could grow it, Crepuscule is fabulous. Apricot is my favorite color too!
    Have fun!
    Judith

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    9 years ago

I wonder if your daughter would like Buff Beauty? I believe it thrives and is easy care in a wide variety of climates, plus it has the sort of full-petalled blooms people often think of in relation to old roses, all of which might make for a good introduction in a first old rose? It can be grown as a shrub or trained along a fence or other horizontal support (at least it can in a warm climate).

Other lovely hybrid musks in the apricot to peach to pink colour range you might like to consider would include Bishop Darlington, Francisca, and Cornelia.

Of course there are hundreds of possibilities, especially if looking at all colours. If you could give us some more specific details I think it would help us to make the most appropriate suggestions of good roses for 1) your climate - min winter and max summer temps, when and how long your hottest/coldest and wettest/driest seasons are, and 2) what your daughter's preferences, if any, would be for shrubs, 'pillar' or larger climbers, or huge once-blooming ramblers with autumn hips; if she'd like clusters of tiny flowers or big showy ones, full-petalled or single, how important perfume is to her, how important is repeat/continuous blooming, would it be OK if an especially lovely, sweetly scented rose bloomed once only; perhaps an indication of the general style of her garden, and would she be interested in the modern 'reproduction' roses like D Austins as well as actual old roses?

That sounds like an awful lot of questions! But, really, anything you can tell us would help narrow it down.

:ì)

• rev_roses
    9 years ago

We are also in Oklahoma and the suggestion of Buff Beauty is a great one. It does very well here and is very healthy. I have four favorite English Roses that grow very well here: Abraham Darby, Heritage, St. Swithun, and Tradescant. I don't grow many Old Roses so I can't make many suggestions there. I keep a blog of my roses which you might enjoy looking over to see what has grown well for us here in Oklahoma. Best of luck to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Dirt Roses

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I don't know how she would feel about either a once-bloomer or starting a rose from a band, but Paul Barden's 'Marianne' seems unbelievably gorgeous in photo. Abe Darby is one of its parents.

Apricot is tricky for OGRs in areas where Teas, Chinas, and Noisettes are iffy. Austins, the aforementioned Hybrid Musks and Ramblers, and other old-formed modern shrub roses would probably be the best bets for Apricot.

I'm also not sure if Perle d'Or would be hardy, but I imagine it could stand a chance.

Jay

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I am new to roses but I ordered Henri Martin & Salet moss last spring and they were extremely vigorous and were the only roses in my garden that did not get black spot or powdery mildew at some point. I got them as small bands from Heirloom and the canes were already to my waist by the end of the summer.

They are the wrong colors from what she is interested in but wanted to throw my 2 cents in since they were such healthy roses and grew really well, which for me being new to roses, is always exciting. The mossy look is also kind of interesting and Salet is supposed to be a rebloomer.

Michaela

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think Alchymist and Buff Beauty are both good suggestions and those are two that I thought of also. I'm not sure what she would think about a once bloomer, I'll have to ask her about that. Temperatures here can get fairly cold in the winter, although it is rare to have lows much lower than the low teens and usually we don't have very many even that low. Our summer highs are in the high 90's, but most years there will be a few days in the low 100's, although there have been years when we've had triple digit temps for more than a month, but that is rare. The last four years haven't been normal, our rainfall has been below average. Normally we have lots of rain between April - June with May generally being the wettest. Our average rainfall is about 36 inches per year in this area. and when our summers are normal it is fairly humid here. The majority of my roses are hybrid teas and floribundas and most of them seem to be hardy here, if that helps any.

Wellrounded, I checked out your blog, very nice. I'm going to find out more about some of your roses.

I appreciate everyone's help, thanks.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 22:04

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I have to cast my vote for SDLM. It's beautiful and fragrant and so far has been a care free rose for me. I think since it had done well in your garden it will be a good starter rose for her and give her confidence in trying other roses that she might want to try out.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I like all of the above suggestions, but will just mention 'Margo Koster' as a possibility in the apricot/coral color range. My understanding is that it's an easy rose to grow in a wide variety of garden environments...

I'm sure she'll like whatever rose(s) you decide on.

Virginia

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I don't know whether this sort of thing would appeal to your daughter's tastes, but for a non-apricot choice, you or she she might like to check out Stanwell Perpetual.

My reasons for suggesting it are:
    Should do well at both extremes of temperature.
    Generally regarded as having good disease resistance
    Requires little attention/pruning unless you want to 'neaten' up its rangy habit.
    A rose of character - meaning, there's more to it than just the pretty 'face'! - it also offers interest and beauty in its red-brown prickly stems, plump buds with elegant sepals, delicate fern-like foliage, and in your climate probably attractive autumn colour and interesting black hips.
    A (probable) spontaneous marriage of the old Scots Rose (R. spinosissima) and an Autumn Damask, ie historic/botanic interest
    Lovely, saucer-shaped, delicately petalled, blush pink to white flowers, depending on temp/season, sometimes providing two tones on the bush at the same time
    Usually reported very good repeat to continuous flowering over a long season (HMF seems to disagree)
    Sweet, mildly spicy, wafting fragrance.

On the minus side:
    Very prickly
    Sends off long arms which can wind attractively through companion plants, but may not be acceptable in a more formal setting
    Its old/species/shrub-like characteristics may not be so much
    appreciated by those who love the possibly more spectacular blooms of the very popular/well-marketed modern reproduction roses. (DAs/English, Romantica,etc.)
    Leaves sometimes naturally develop small purple spots that may be confused with blackspot.
    Blooms held on short stems so only suitable for smaller indoor arrangements
    Can't think of anything else!

Oh, except that I understand that (Gregg Lowery?) from the late, great Vintage Gardens stated that if by some cruel fate, he was only able to own one rose, it would be..Stanwell Perpetual...

Comtesse :ì)

• actualplant
    9 years ago

I third the suggestion of Buff Beauty--everything about it is lovely and easy. I add another vote for Cornelia, which has a similar habit. When it was in bloom at my old house, I could hear cars slowing down as they drove past to get a better look.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions, thanks so much.

• annz3
    9 years ago

We love our David Austin old English roses. They take my breath away each time I walk by them in the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: davidaustinroses

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

Ghislaine de Feligonde? Scented, rebloomer, not fussy about position, orange/buff/apricot paling to creamy, can be grown as a shrub or climber, very few prickles, tough and healthy and solidly hardy in your zone. One of my favourite roses, but I do think it might suit if it's not too large.

• daisyhair
    9 years ago

I had to come in and comment. I'm very new to rose growing, only 3 years now. My very first was an Abraham Darby and it performed SO WELL for this novice that now I'm on my 13th David Austin!

My first year I was not good about monthly feeding and it still grew over 5 feet tall and bloomed through late November. (I'm in Orlando).

You mentioned your daughter has grown other flowers so I'm sure she will be better at feeding them than I was at first so I can't imagine that this rose would not thrill her as it has me.

Lastly my A.D. has the most amazing lemony rose scent. So I vote for A.D.!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Ghislaine de Feligonde looks like quite a rose, I think she would love it I'll have to check into its availability. I'm fairly certain she would be impressed with the Austins. Thank you so much

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

As it's for your daughter, who I presume is quite young... then I wouldn't personally recommend a large shrub or climber, but perhaps one of the smaller Austin's of the colour that she might like... such as 'Ambridge Rose'... 'Evelyn'... or 'Lady Emma Hamilton'.... these names are also attractive enough I think to appeal to a growing young lady, newly interested in roses...

...see what you think... they all have a rich scent, and should be hardy in your area....

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

I see that Help Me Find states that Perle d'Or is good grow to 6b. If so, that's my recommendation as a first time, older apricot rose. In my experience, Perle blooms as prolifically as amy Knock Out; if it gets any disease, it shakes it off; and with pruning and when grown in sun it can be kept to 4.5 feet with a 4 foot spead. Perle has a LONG bloom season. The clusters of buds are adorable in a vase and resemble tiny tea rose buds with high centers. This rose has been pretty much bulletproof for me. The Antique Rose Emporium in TX usually has it in stock. Buff Beauty is also a good, largish arching shub or climber. Takes time to reach its glory. I have a young Marianne and have high hopes for her. I'm going to mix her with something viney that continues the show after, from what I've seen via internet, her own breathtaking display. I'll keep everyone updated as she grows, but I'm expecting a super healthy, easy to live with, gorgeous rose! -Carol

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert and I've never lived in Oklahoma so I don't know if this will work for you, but what about the hybrid musk rose Cornelia? Disclaimer-I don't currently grow this myself but I wish I did. I would love to put it into my pink rose bed, but alas, no room! However, some people in my area have been very successful with it. It's a pretty peachy pink, a good bloomer, can take some shade, it's reasonably disease resistant and should be hardy for you, it's fragrant, and it's nearly thornless. It does get to be a large shrub, the only reason I don't already have it.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Let's us know what you and your daughter finally decide!