Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmm1

Will They Bloom In My Zone?

kjmm1
9 years ago

I know that they say to go to your local nursery to find climate appropriate plants, but I visited a nursery today that I know stocks plants that will not perform well in my climate. I know this now after visiting it regularly for a year and researching the plants I see there. I think they do it because their plant guarantee is 90 days an a climate inappropriate plant would die well after that. Other than that they have nice plants and great selection especially when they are fresh from the growers. But it's on me to research before I buy.

That being said, I saw some beautiful trees there today and I was tempted to buy on the spot, but decided to come here and ask around a bit before I do.

First tree is a black tulip magnolia! WOW! Fragrant and gorgeous huge blossoms. I thought I remembered the tag saying it was hardy to zone 8 but when I looked it up on the monrovia website, it says to zone 9. I see magnolias growing and thriving all over the place (and getting HUGE) in my neighborhood, but they are all the evergereen white flower variety. I wanted to know if anyone could advise if this specific magnolia would do well here, in sunset zone 23, USDA zone 9b / 10a. I have a prominent spot in mind for it right in my my front yard courtyard area so I would want it to be one that looks fantastic year round. Good choice or bad choice for me?

The other tree is Dream Catcher Flowering Cherry. Tag and Monrovia's site says to zone 8. Another prominent spot saved for it at the end of my driveway. My fear is that I may not get enough of a chill period to get them to bloom. I have "snow fountain" weeping cherries right now that have not bloomed yet and I don't know if they will! I don't want to make the same mistake again (if they don't bloom). These dram catcher cherries are currently in bloom at the nursery. Good choice or bad choice? Anyone have any luck with these in my zone/climate?

Thanks!

Comments (3)