Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastvillgal

need help with deciding how far to extend built-in bookshelf

eastvillgal
9 years ago

Hello -

We are in the process of designing a built-in bookshelf for our livingroom. Most of all of the pictures I have seen show the bookshelf going from one end of a wall to the other. We could not do this here because the wall where it would go extends on one side down the hall out of the livingroom. I am wondering if it will look strange to have it extend all the way to one corner of the livingroom on one side, but then on the otherside it would just have to end somewhere along the wall that would be continuing. Do you think that is ok, or would it look better in that case not to go all the way to the corner and instead try to center it more on the wall?

Thanks!!

Comments (11)

• seww1
    9 years ago

If you post a picture of the wall in question it would help a lot!

Sue

• eastvillgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks. I'll be in the space tomorrow and post a picture. To the extent it helps, I just drew a quick layout - not exactly to scale but gives the basic idea. So the question would be: should the built-in bookshelves extend all the way to the corner or would that look off balance. Also, if the bookshelves do extend to the corner, how far along on the other side should we go? We didn't want to quite go to the entrance of the livingroom because then we would be narrowing the entranceway, but maybe we have to under to balance things out. Thanks so much for any thoughts!

• eastvillgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry, maybe my qyestion wasn't clear. We have decided to bring the bookshelf all the way to the corner of the livingroom - the question is how far on the other side does it have to go? My husband does not want to bring it out the entire length of the wall because he wants to keep the entrance way to the livingroom wide. my only concern with that is that since we are going to the end of the wall on one side it will look off balance.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I believe I did understand the question and answered it...perhaps my answer was confusing. The end of the bookcase will be up against the same wall as the sofa, yes? You are worried about how far down along the wall to bring it. You can stop it wherever you want. You can look at the side of the bookcase or you can have a triangular shaped piece fill in that meets the wall on the right and the end of the bookcase on the left.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I would like to know the distance between the tv stand and the wall. And when you are in the great room sitting on the couch what do you consider to be the "visual boundaries" of the sitting area. Perhaps it's at the front edge of the tv stand. That may be where you can end it.

How deep will the bookcase be?

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Unless getting from the living room to the kitchen on the side of the room where the bookcase will go is already a tight squeeze, I'd end the bookcase where the wall turns 90 degrees to go toward the front door.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Stop it where your husband says. You can put something like an umbrella stand in the blank section that is left where the bookcase stops.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Or some artwork.

• amberm145
    9 years ago

Ideally, I'd bring it to the corner by the front entrance. If there isn't enough space there, bring it to wherever the red line (the new entrance to the living room) is 36".

Personally, I'm not a fan of the corner shelf. I find them too small to put anything but dust collectors.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I agree about the angled shelf, amberm145. It seems like a really dated concept.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor