Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Are HOSTA posts googled since HOUZZ took over?

User
9 years ago

I guess I said it all in the subject line.
I checked for GHOST SPIRIT, and did not see a recent post with that variety of hosta mentioned. In the "old days," Google got our forum posts indexed as soon as one hour, sometimes less.
Just wondering if anyone knows the story on this.

Comments (16)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mocc, I did a search on Hey_j yesterday on Google and got almost no hits. The only idea I have is that Houzz must have moved stuff around. Maybe it takes a while to remap a database as big as Gardenweb. I really have no clue.

I did a search for Ghost Spirit and hosta on the search window at the top of this page and got several hits going back to 2007. I did not look at the hits closely, but they looked like good hits.

bk

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Hey_j is now Janice. Old posts now show that name although Google cashed items should still show Hey_j.

tj

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I checked "hosta potting mix" which has a new thread from SantaMiller, and the hits were all commercial things. Where you can buy, what products and what manufacturers. Down a ways is a single thread from forums.gweb which reveals nothing of the wealth of information available through the discussion forums. This is so sad.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

It looks like many or most Google searches here are still showing up as Gardenweb, not Houzz. I did a search for "uk hostaman gardenweb" and this was the first hit. There are also several other of this threads bunched together with that.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1970538/a-few-pics

Mocc.....I did a search for my thread and when I used the words "experiment media santamiller gardenweb" the thread came up. Anything less than that did not show the thread. When I used the words "Ladybug santamiller gardenweb" it did not show the thread, but it showed one from last year when I talked about Ladybug. I guess that's just a Google thing, There do seem to be some Houzz threads in searches mixed in with the Gardenweb results, but they are not bunched.

When I did a search for "santamiller gardenweb" it showed all of my threads from before last August. (I may not have posted much for a while after August until recently) When I did a seach for "santamiller houzz" I got no thread results.

I don't know how Google syncs but at least that does show that these things are there, but not necessarily easy to find in some cases. Maybe someone more knowledgable about these things will chime in.

User thanked santamiller
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Santa, I don't think it was just a gweb thing, because there is something different about the Houzz way of dealing with indexing, which, I think, makes it difficult or impossible for a bot or webcrawler to pick up the terms. They are not used to dealing with heavy duty gardening topics. It's all about the selling of products. You look for a hosta by name, and all the hits on whole first page will be nurseries or very impersonal sites such as Wiki or the arboretums or the botanical gardens. I have no idea how they index information on HVX, if they even have any GWEB discussions ongoing there. But the major portion of hits I find are the older ones PRE HOUZZ. What did they think they were buying when they took over GWeb? A market? Their outlook is not building a close community it seems. They are superficial. It is the difference I feel, of going to a neighborhood gathering in someone's garden, compared to a home and garden show in a big arena. The personal element, the sense of connection, is missing. Very sad to lose what is so hard to come by these days. Maybe we can rebuild, but will the new people relate to us the way Newbies did a few months back? Too loosely constructed to maintain a place to hang out and talk about hostas.

Oh yes. BK, I checked hosta images under this google topic:
    GROWING HOSTA PLANTS IN POTS....and on the second page they had a picture of your SO SWEET. That and one other hosta photo were the only ones there from GWeb. On two first pages, that is. The fact that NO mention of the 2014 Hosta Alphabet was mentioned? Bummer!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh. I just thought of this. I wonder how the Kitchen Forum from GWeb is liking things. They had some really great folks design wise coming there. This might be easier for the Pros, who seem to be the major players here.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you look at the search line at the top of the page. it says ... SEARCH gARDENwEB ...

carp .. lol ...

it might follow.. that trying to use houzz on google.. might defeat your purpose.. and answer why you are having better luck.. still using GW ...

if you think about it.. changing the vast library of old posts... to reflect H would take a thousand years ... so use GW ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

The web is changing. It's expensive to maintain a site that can be viewed in 15 browsers, 12 tablets and 63 phones.

It's likely that only the big guys will survive.

JMHO

bk

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I was googling, I thought, not using Houzz, and I took what came up in the search. mAYBE IN THE MORNING I'll see clearly.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

regardless ... i am guessing ... ken

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Very disappointing that the google search function is not currently working properly.

I only found the forum because I was performing google searches for particular plants and the forum pictures (especially the alphabet pics) came up in images. If Houzz has the ability to have this corrected it will be to their advantage, and ours too of course. :)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I Googled "spilt milk" gardenweb.com. At the bottom of the very first listing (in fine print) there is the phrase More results from forums.gardenweb.com which has tons more listings. Don't ignore the fine print. ;-)

tj

• Emily H
    9 years ago

Hi guys, Generally, Houzz threads are indexed really quickly. Have you tried using the integrated search at the top of the page? It works very well for gardenweb forums content.

Also, when you visit someone's profile, you can actually see all their comments AND the threads they have started. Just click on their activity tab and then look on the left side of the page for the different links. Hope that helps!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Whoa, TJ...just for fun I tried Emily's suggestion and went to your profile. Found all your posts! Thanks, Em!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Emily. The problem with restricting it to the in-house search was the GWeb search engine could not drill down to specific posts within a thread, and Google was....for example. So we got in the habit of going outside to retrieve forum posts. Google web bots had Hostas Forum on speed dial, it seemed! There was some effort to juice it up, but how far that went before the switch to Houzz, I have no clue.
    Here comes the season when hosta emerge, threads on the Hosta Forum three pages long, posts flying day and night. We could tell by the "main" forum page what we had read, what had new comments, and had a good chance of catching all the new threads too. I suppose online spring cleaning dealing with sheer volume of hosta posts by reducing it to a footnote to the paying customers on Google, so we are relegated to "more results from forums.gardenweb.com". As they call it in New Orleans at Mardi Gras, we are the "second line"..... Sigh.....but, I know what BKay says is so true. Only the strong can survive. I'll try not to get to complacent with the status quo. Says Bob Dylan, THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN'

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022