Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiger12439

Tomato Seedlings Not Doing So Well and I Need Help

tiger12439
9 years ago

Hi, I have a few tomato seedlings not even a month old yet and they're not doing so well. One of them has tiny black dots/specks and its drooping. The underside of the leaves are purple and the stems that have branched out seem to be turning yellow. My other 2 seem okay but might have slight drooping and a leaf may be turning yellow. What does all of this mean and what can I do to get them back thriving and healthy? Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Any chance of pictures? Very hard to make sensible suggestions without.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

Have you fed the seedlings? If not, it sounds like a phosphorus and nitrogen defficency.

• tiger12439
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I tried to post some photos but I guess they didn't load properly.

I dont know if they uploaded the first time so here they are again. @floral_uk

Yes I did give them the alaska fish emulsion at 1/4 strength a couple of days ago. @wayne_5

2 tomato plants. Somewhat drooping. Somewhat has a little bit of yellowing.
    Most concerning.
    Black Specks.

While in the midst of trying to take pictures and hold the plant up, one of the stems broke off.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

suspect they need water, then fertilizer.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I'd like to know what kind of lighting you're using and the type of potting medium.

• gumby_ct
    9 years ago

While the pics don't look like the "damping-off" disease I have seen check these symptoms to see if they fit your situ...

"Symptoms of Damping-off:

Seeds may be infected as soon as moisture penetrates the seed coat or a bit
    later as the radicle begins to extend, all of which rot immediately under
    the soil surface (pre-emergence damping-off). This condition results in a
    poor, uneven stand of seedlings, often confused with low seed viability.
    Cotyledons may break the soil surface only to whither and die or healthy
    looking seedlings may suddenly fall over (post-emergence damping-off).
    Infection results in lesions at or below the soil line. The seedling
    will discolor or wilt suddenly, or simply collapse and die. Weak seedlings
    are especially susceptible to attack by one or more fungi when growing conditions
    are only slightly unfavorable. Damping-off is easily confused with plant
    injury caused by insect feeding, excessive fertilization, high levels of
    soluble salts, excessive heat or cold, excessive or insufficient soil moisture,
    or chemical toxicity in air or soil.

Above ground symptoms of root rot include stunting, low vigor, or wilting
    on a warm day. Foliage of such plants may yellow and fall prematurely starting
    with the oldest leaves. The roots of a diseased plant will have some
    shade of brown or black and evidence of water-soaking. Healthy roots
    are fibrous appearing and are usually white or tan in color. These symptoms
    are easily confused with severe mite, aphid, scale infestations, or root-feeding
    by nematodes or insect larvae. Environmental factors such as accumulated
    salts in the soil, insufficient light or nitrogen, potbound roots, cold drafts,
    etc. can be eliminated only by examination of the roots."

I have learned to spray seedlings with a bit of hydrogen peroxide mixed in the water to help prevent damping-off. Just moisten the top layer of soil while seedlings are young - later begin to water from the bottom. Apparently it is the moisture on top of the soil which contributes to damping-off.

Once the damping-off appears I don't think there is anything that can save the plant.
    HTH

• tiger12439
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 2 5000k 1600lumen cfl light bulbs and im using a homemade potting mix. I was watering them with rain water and there were these little green things in it but I didnt think (hoped) it wouldn't harm them. I think this could be a factor.

EDA: Forget to mention that I also gave then 1/4 strength of alaska fish emulsion

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Not hopeless yet. Try the feeding as suggested and water by placing in a sheet pan, bottom watering. Poke a few hole at the bottom 'sides'. (just up from the sides)...helps water get into those cups. A pencil or nail makes it easy. They also look stuffy. They need air movement like a low running fan.

You can also add some more soil, especially your tomatoes. Just pinch off any lower leaves.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

They don't look that bad.

They could use some outdoor sunshine though.

• gumby_ct
    9 years ago

I also like to use rainwater in a spray bottle to wet the soil surface - I just mix in some hydrogen peroxide from the medicine cabinet. :)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

what's in your homemade potting mix?