Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly09890

We NEED rain, We need RAIN

Terri zone 6
8 years ago

I feel silly saying that since California is in a four year drought but, I'm lazy and hate watering.

I don't remember the last time it significantly rained in MA.

What about the rest of you?

Comments (22)

• maackia
    8 years ago

We've had a long, cool, and moist spring. I've moved several conifers over the past month, and they are all doing quite well. More rain is expected through Monday -- hope you get some soon.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

-Drier than average here in Wisconsin this spring, and really, from winter onward. We'd be in worse shape had it not been for a generally cool and moist year all of last year. But I don't know that Ik've ever seen such a dry springtime as this one that is unfolding. We did get some rain finally and apparently, quite a bit more could be on the way tonight/tomorrow. Hope so- I hate drought.

+oM

• scpalmnut
    8 years ago

Compared to the past two years, this one is shaping up to be a dud. Little more than a trace so far this month with minimal chances for any in the near future. Could be out west so really have no reason to whine just yet. I still hate these dry spells.

• maackia
    8 years ago

Well, I'm in the pretty part of Wisconsin and we've had more than adequate moisture. ;)

• mhzphotosd
    8 years ago

we need rain toooo. (san diego)

• User
    8 years ago

Northeast and Mid Atlantic have been very dry since the melting of the record snows of Winter, several inches below normal and dropping.

• DeanW45
    8 years ago

Here in metro Atlanta we've had a very dry May. Only a trace of rainfall at the airport this whole month; historically, we average about an inch a week.

• engineerchic
    8 years ago

I'm also in MA, and also want rain SO much. The only upside to the dry weather is that I don't feel bad for failing to hook up the rain barrels this year. I have a lot going on at the house & decided that this year I just wasn't going to do it. And, it turns out I'm not missing anything :(

Just last night I had to run the soaker hoses for 30 min on each section of arborvitae I put in last year. They needed it.

• maidenfan
    8 years ago

Here in San Antonio, it's been a rather mild Spring and we've had plenty of rain so far. Considering that in the past 2-3 years we had been classified as a "desert climate" by rainfall amounts.

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

Rain has been extremely localized here. South Milwaukee has done pretty well but in my sliver we're on pace for one of the driest May on record. So far 0.47" this month and those are from several 1/8" or less rainfalls. My front lawn is getting that haze look where it will go dormant within a week or two. Alot of "chances" for rain coming up over the next week.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    8 years ago

It's a weird year here on the front range of the Rockies. May is normally our wettest month with around 2 inches of precip. We're at over 5 inches of rain so far with 2 sunny days for the month. I've had to move my veggie flats inside as they're drowning. I'd be happy to send some of this to you!

Tex, if we turn the fans up real high pointed east...

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

One of my wishes is that we could send rain to and from each other when do and don't need it. Just like trading plants. Only difference is that you can't have too few or many plants.

• User
    8 years ago

Every season (and month) here now is abnormal compared previous long-term norms.

Still, too dry in the East (from New England into Georgia). June forecast is now out (above normal temps, even though they were calling for below normal a month ago).

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

I thought the latest called for below average to much below average for most of the country...exception out west and Florida to be above average.

Southeast doesn't look too bad...nice to see the south central out of the red, even though they have a new problem.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

• scpalmnut
    8 years ago

Looking like this month could end with only a trace of rain recorded in Charlotte. Slim to no chance for rain in the forecast. Don't recall ever having a month this dry in my 11 years here.

• User
    8 years ago
  • bengz6westmd
    8 years ago

Dry here in western MD -- not affecting established trees w/deep roots yet, but certainly beginning to affect planted row crops & gardens.

I even had alittle frost damage the other morning (thermometer said 34F at eye-level) on the sprout-tips of sensitive, low-hanging stuff like sourwood.

Shaping up as perhaps similar to last summer -- cool w/a bit less than avg rain & zero tropical moisture.

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

Wet here 22 mi. west of Chi.,,4plus in. in may,, 2 more coming this week

9 in. in Huston ?

• Marie Tulin
    8 years ago

terri and engineerchic

Come on over to the New England Forum and join the thread I started two weeks ago called "Dry". There were only a few comments for a week or so; now more people are dragging hoses and the complaints are mounting. Anyway, we'd love to meet you!

Marie

• Terri zone 6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Still needing rain only sprinkles today but better than nothin I guess.

• User
    8 years ago

Rains have finally arrived. Should make up for the 5 inch deficit in a two day period. Next weekend might push us into surplus category. It's all or nothing rain now.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living