Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmcole01

Help with overgrown container! Cleome has taken over!

cmcole01
8 years ago
I'm so new to gardening and caring for flowers and need help! I got these pots about 1 1/2 months ago & things are now growing like crazy. As you will see the Cleome has gotten huge and feels a bit unruly (alongside the African mallow). And the other flowers in this pot aren't doing nearly as well as in the other pots - supertunias, angelonia, and sweet potato vine. The vinca & osteopernum have disappeared all together.

The pics show the pot now (pics 1&2), when first planted 1 1/2 months ago (pic 3), after about 1 week (pic 4 - pot on left). I have since cut some of the cleome back but am wondering how far back I should cut and if there is anything I can do to get the other flowers to start to flourish again?

Also the top of a root is exposed in the container, can I add more soil (even if different than what was used originally)? Can I add any additional flowers to the pot at this point? The pot is in full sun and we have had a really rainy June. I had been fertilizing once every 2 weeks or so. Any ideas? I really need help!!

Comments (6)