Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audley1975

Front porch French doors and main door colors

Audley Loewen
8 years ago
We are in the process of building our new house. The designer we hired suggested painting our main entry door (left to the red door shown) Bohemian Black by Sherwin Williams. She also suggested Moroccan Red for the French doors (there are three total; one on the front porch and two on the back). Our Hardie house color is Hunter's Hollow by Behr (Home Depot). I do not like the black or the red doors at all and would like to change the colors. Any suggestions as to what colors to use on the doors to complement the color of the Hardie?

Comments (52)

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I think my bigger problem is that I hate the color of the house. It appears more green on the color swatch and also in pictures. However, it looks much more gray (I call it camouflage) in person. I'm good with choosing another color for the Hardie but my husband disagrees. It would be too costly to repaint so I'm trying to find a brighter door color. This one just doesn't appeal to me at all. As far as shrubs and flowers go, I'm not sure I'd be able to have year-round color in ground. I will give it another look though and perhaps choose a deeper, richer red. Thanks again.

• Audley Loewen thanked Geneviève
  • Geneviève
    8 years ago
    Audley Loewen thanked Geneviève
  • Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Genevieve. I'm going to consider your suggestions on the landscaping ideas.

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think the house color/roof, etc. are really nice and it just may be that you had a color in mind and are a bit disappointed. What about one of the colors below - all are a bit rustic and would suit your house and the fireplace stone and roof.

Whidbey Island Getaway · More Info

Stephanie's Cottage · More Info

Farmhouse Entry · More Info

Blue Door · More Info

Audley Loewen thanked Maureen
  • Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now, one more question...

The main entry door will be Bohemian Black as I mentioned previously. We have an oak leaf and acorn onlay that we will adhere to the center of the door. Since we're painting the door black, will the onlay show up enough or should we silver it to make it stand out more?

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Maureen. I love the blue doors but they would clash with the Hunter's Hollow green on the Hardie.

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Could you take a picture of it if would help :)

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

HI Maureen :)

If the doors are what I see on he picture then yes they should be the same colours ,and if the doors are located far apart then things change .

On a black door silver would look fabulous

735 Buttercup Trace · More Info

• acm
    8 years ago

Answer on the inlay depends on lighting -- if there's enough light, the relief should be enough. Black is good for that, as are other darker colors.

As for colors, if you want to brighten things, have you considered a real golden yellow? (I notice that the stairs in the 2nd photo below are similar to your house color.)

Druid Hills Mid Century Modern · More Info

Exterior · More Info

My Houzz: Paint and Pluck Revamp a Portland Ranch · More Info

Miz D · More Info

Craftsman Cottage - Rosedale Ave · More Info
    My Houzz: Custom Built Wheelchair Accessible Home In Clovelly Trails · More Info

Audley Loewen thanked acm
  • Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I sure will take a picture and post a little later. Thanks for the advice, all of you. Going to consider...

• linlac
    8 years ago
    I usually suggest eggplant when I see a olive green house. Almost a black with an undertone of deep purple. There are so many great plants that will match this color. Love your house! As far as the door embellishment I do think it will be nice to highlight it with a different color or metallic. You could just lightly go over it with a dry brush for added depth. Keep it subtle.
    Audley Loewen thanked linlac
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    I actually don't mind the red. I am mainly seeing houses like yours will natural wood doors but it may be much to late for that. Black will work nicely.
    Audley Loewen thanked Miranda Rose
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    What about white doors? The same color as Your trim?
  • User
    8 years ago

Ok. Paint the front door Tardis Blue. Everytime you open up to go inside, there will be so much unexpected space. It is Pantone 2955c

http://tardis.soup.io/post/281914737/Well-this-is-official-Tardis-blue-color

Audley Loewen thanked User
  • patriciamarch
    8 years ago

I think a high gloss black with pewter hardware, (door knocker?) would be classy with your house color. However, I am a huge fan of cobalt blue or navy blue. Vibrant, and eye catching with your house color. Have a sample made up and try it. I feel you might like it. I cannot vision any other color. Red-not. My house is gray. Front door is blue. Love it. It looks right.

Audley Loewen thanked patriciamarch
  • acm
    8 years ago

Wow, in those mock-ups I really like the plum (the first one). What, no yellow? ;)

Audley Loewen thanked acm
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Grover, you beat me to it. The mock-ups. Yay you. Here's one with the brighter blue, a la Chook's suggestion.

Audley Loewen thanked Rina
  • Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, thanks for the pictures. Wish I were savvy enough to know how to do that. After looking at all of them, I'm thinking we should paint all exterior doors black and then add color with landscaping as some of you have suggested. The doorknob on the main door is also black and it wasn't inexpensive or I'd consider doing a silvering refinish to that and do the silvering on the oak onlay as well. The porch floor will change too. Any suggestions for a floor paint? Sorry for all the questions and dilemmas. This is the fifth house we've built and I never second-guessed myself on the others. On this one, though, with all the other stressors (being a secondary caregiver to my mom who lives in a nursing home down the street...and also to my mother-in-law) I almost feel like I'm shutting down on the house issue. We're hoping to finish up wishing the next 3-4 weeks so I'm starting to get nervous.

• Rina
    8 years ago

Audley, it sounds like you need a day off. Some deep breathing, some spoiling, something that has nothing to do with the house or your mom or mom-in-law. Just one day. Possible? Swimming? Silly movie?

• Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    I like the either the eggplant Grover chose or the high gloss black suggestion.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

FWIW, my faves are the rusty red and the teal.

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    8 years ago
    I love the rusty red!!! Beautiful job Grover!!
    Audley Loewen thanked Missi Smith Design Co.
  • Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided on all black doors; the main reason being how close the two front doors are to each other. I think the silvering of the oak leaf decal will distinguish the main entry from the other to the right of it. I also think that once we have more of the white trim painted and the color on the porch floor finalized, (hopefully) it will come together. Maybe I need to take a day off as Rina suggested.

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One more quick question: what color do you all suggest for the porch floor? Our designer suggested Austere Gray by Sherwin Williams. It just looks so boring though.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

be still my beating heart, probably not the color for you, but I love that tardis blue! I actually like all the colors suggested, except the lighter green and the lighter turquoise.

Audley Loewen thanked havingfun
  • User
    8 years ago

Ah, you have the aristocratic taste of a Time Lord, havingfun.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

maybe if i do it and you do it we will step in one and come out the other. what a sophisticated way to travel! lol

• User
    8 years ago

What if Audley does it too.

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Audley's not going to do the Tardis blue because she's not as bold as either of you. :-)

I'm needing to stay pretty conservative on the floor color since the rest of this house is so neutral. I could do something bolder and more fun if the Hardie weren't so Camo green. I've already told my husband since he doesn't want to go to the expense of repainting the whole exterior at this stage that I'm likely going to do it within the next three years. Knowing me as well as he does, he knows it's going to happen.

• Rina
    8 years ago

For the floor you might consider a very dark red, or match the roof colour. Then next time round you can do it in polka dots. (Just don't tell husband about that yet.)

• patriciamarch
    8 years ago

Of all the colors shown as possibilities for the front door I favor blue, only much darker. It is smart and your have a lot of white going on. For the floor, I would go with a very dark, gloss gray. You don't want to get too busy with colors. Your house paint is fine. Go to a garden center or the box stores,. Indulge in a couple of vertical planters in the color of the front door.. For me, my eye still says blue. Put some colorful plants in. Some with height and some ivy or vinca or wave petunia that will drape ove the side of your pots. One thing at a time. You can do it.
    But when you decide on a change and like the results, stand back and be proud of your accomplishments. And definitely, take time for yourself. Be good to yourself so you can enjoy your beautiful home and your projects.

• patriciamarch
    8 years ago

Gray on the porch floor will not be boring. It will, if dark, be in keeping with the house. I don't feel you would expect to see a color as you step onto the porch especially once you decide on a door color. Keep it rich and tasteful. I am passionate about color, but.......... in the right places.

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, (deep sigh) I'm considering all of your suggestions...except for the bright blue. Maybe next house. Never mind, I forgot...there won't be a next house. Lol.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

never say never

• Rina
    8 years ago

You're considering polka dots? Oh, I like you.

• User
    8 years ago

We have a much brighter blue than that on our front door, letterbox, trim, and we all survived! LOL. Polka dots might have originated as a guide on the floor when learning the polka, maybe?

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Since this is the fifth house we've built, I'm pretty sure this is it. The others were a piece of cake but this one has been really challenging.

Polka dots? Nah, I'm thinking zebra stripes to replace the Camo Hardie.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

well you have gotten so good at it by now they may be saving you a special spot in heaven or is that he dbl hockey sticks? lol

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol. Hopefully.

• User
    8 years ago

Just curious, why was this house more of a challenge?

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We're older and juggling different plates such as being secondary caretakers for both of our mothers, work and other things. We also moved to a new city (same state) after living in the last one for 30 years and honestly, we didn't have nearly as much to choose from before so we have discovered that the more options we had the tougher it was to make decisions without questioning every one.

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I took these photos this evening. The doors have all been painted Bohemian Black and I like them a lot better than the red color. It's starting to come together now. I think we have just a few more weeks to go. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

tis a shame about that tardis door, maybe to a back porch? international portals sure would be nice. hope you truly enjoy your new home.

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

International portals? Not familiar with that.

• User
    8 years ago

House is looking great!

• PRO
    Highlands Mountain Realty
    8 years ago
    How do you feel about white? It would match your trim and your porch railing.
  • Rina
    8 years ago

It looks really great, Audley. Smooth sailing to completion, now, I hope.

• Audley Loewen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone. :-)