Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Pulling out my African Daisies

plan2remodel
8 years ago

I planted African Daisies two years ago and was delighted with the beautiful, year-round color they gave my front yard. They grew like crazy and propagated by seed. At first, I enjoyed the daisies so much that I was hesitant to cut them back. I waited excitedly for each new shoot to sprout blooms. But I soon realized that they were attracting hordes of snails, not to much a growing infestation of pill bugs (aka wood lice, rolly-pollies.)

Today, when I was pulling out the last of the mature plants, I spotted a red-and-black spider with white abdomen - turns out the spider is a Mediterranean import that feeds exclusively on pill bugs.

I'm looking for something to replace the daisies - something that's drought-resistant and colorful, but not so attractive to snails, pill bugs, and the woodlouse spider.

Comments (10)

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    8 years ago

Colored gravel or cement should do the trick. If you want plants, you're going to have snails, spiders, roly-pollies and other living things.

• User
    8 years ago

I like Scaevola.

Here's a link with a fairly comprehensive list.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/suncovers.html

• socks
    8 years ago

Star jasmine is overdone in So. CA, but for a reason. Pretty in the spring when it blooms, attractive dark green foliage otherwise, once established does well with limited water.

Don't worry too much about snails, etc. You can use Sluggo for snails (or your foot). Roly pollies can munch on tender seedlings (I've seen it so no one argue with me please), but probably will not bother established plants.

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

My African Daisy is Arctotis Acaulis. I've never noticed a snail problem. I really hate snails and avoid plants that I know from experience attract them. It would be nice if there was a list of plants that snails love. The worst, in my experience, is Acanthus Mollis.

When necessary I use a non toxic to animals type bait. One good thing about it is that the snails crawl away to die after eating it. No offensive dead snails that way.

• katieeyler
    8 years ago

I replaced my African Daisies with Gazania Rigens, specifically the Christiana variety. They're full of rollie pollies, but I don't mind. The evergreen foliage and constant blooms are worth it.

• plan2remodel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have a well-established border of star jasmine - no problem with these - just need to cut them back a few times a year. I looked for the other plants that were suggested but did not find them.

The African Daises were along the border of the sidewalk coming from the street to the front door. I kept the Santa Barbara daisies that border the street - the snails like these as well, but at least I'm not crunching them as I walk out my front door.

I planted Geranium Rozanne, which attracts pollinators and appears to be of no interest to the snails.For bold color, I caved into my longing for hybrid tea roses - not exactly drought-tolerant, but they are enjoying the full sun my yard offers.

The border next to the sidewalk coming into my house is still vacant - waiting for inspiration.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hate to tell you, but there are not really that many pretty ornamentals that grow well in your climate. African daisies are probably one of the prettiest that are low-maintenance and drought tolerant.

Natal plum is commonly planted in Southern California, the bush is full of thorns but at night the little white flowers are fragrant and very pleasant smelling. They also produce little red fruits at certain times of the year (the fruits are not poisonous but are more ornamental than edible).

Pomegranates are one of the few fruit trees that grow exceedingly well in the climate of Southern California. Even if you do not like eating pomegranates, the shape of the fruits are very ornamental, in my opinion. And you have probably never tried fresh squeezed pomegranate juice, the taste is much much better than the stuff they sell at the store. I'm not sure why there are not more people growing pomegranates in SoCal.

• katieeyler
    8 years ago

Probably because they're incredibly messy and they stain everything the fruit drops onto!

i used to have some in my yard and it was awful.

• PRO
    Red Berm
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

U could do a delosperma or a drosanthumum both ice plant and both flower.

• plan2remodel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Some ice plants have become invasive in Southern California and are considered pests - replacing native plants.

Snails are attacking the new Salvia I planted - I have lost 6 salvias in the past year.