Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

Bathroom floor tile decision help, please

daisychain Zn3b
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Walls are going to be 4x8 white subways (or possibly 6x6 white but set in a running bond pattern like subways) But either way sort of a modern take on the white subway.

I have been dreaming of cement tile for this floor ever since I knew we would be re-doing it. However, it seems getting cement tile in my area is next to impossible. I just found a place that has tile that I love and will customize colour for me, but it is going to cost about $2000 for 30 sq ft (still waiting on an exact quote (a large part of that cost is shipping).

This is the cement tile. Not sure if the link will take you right to the pic. It is pic #20 or last pic on the first page in their gallery (the big blue and white swirly one on the wall).

cement tile option gallery pic #20

The other option is a small chiclet mosaic in a dark teal colour (possibly with a white border or other design in white). This would come in at about $700 (less if I don't do the white). This will also come in much faster. The cement tile will hold up the job for a few weeks.

teal chiclet tile

Should I give up the cement tile dream and just go with next best option?

Comments (29)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

I would be willing to wait for something I loved as opposed to going with something that might disappoint me every time I looked at it for the next however many years.

• User
    8 years ago

If I am looking at the right one, you can get a marble tile mosaic that looks exactly like it.. Is it the one on the floor in back in this pic?

Sorry, seems I am unable to post any pictures. I can't wait for some better designed website to come and RUIN houzz.

• User
    8 years ago

You can google black white gray marble mosaic optical illusion tile. Or black white bra basketweave tile. If that is what you are considering, the 20th picture in the gallery has that 3d look tile that is def available in other places and material.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think this is a better link

Sorry, no not the 3D illusion tile that's on the floor in the pic. The tile that is on the wall display that has the big swirls. Its dark blue with white swirls in the pic, but you can get custom colours.

There are some porcelain look alike tiles that mimic cement tiles, but it is that real living cement feel that I want.

I really like the mosaic and it's in the right colour but then I look at the cement tile and my heart skips a beat.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, crl. That is it.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

For a difference of $700, which would be just $100 per year over 7 years, and I think you plan to be in your home longer than that...I'd have no doubt about getting my 'dream tile'. I wouldn't be happy about the delay, but depending on when it would arrive, it might be a great holiday present to yourself. They're so different from one another that I'm wondering if there is another cement tile out there closer to the first...

daisychain Zn3b thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

How much of the pattern of the encaustic tile will you be able to see? It's gorgeous, but 30 square feet with a toilet and vanity on top. . . . If the pattern isn't too chopped up, I would go for it.

I detest cleaning the grout around tiny tiles on the floor. You can get it in a color that doesn't show dirt and you can get grout that doesn't stain, but there are still all those little dips to clean. So I would not choose the chiclets though the color is lovely.

Are you amenable to online suggestions or do you need to use a local tile shop?

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

The cost difference isn't that substantial in the grand scheme...go for the cement or you'll always look at the chiclet and think I shoulda gotten what I wanted.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Enablers, the lot of you!

My 3dogs, I love your math, but I think the different between 700 and 2000 is $1300 which is closer to $200 per year which kind of makes me gasp.

crl, in terms of seeing the design, I think that you'd see about as much as is pictured on the tile that's on the wall as you walk into the room and then half of that again on either side disappearing under the vanity and towel cab (these are on legs so you get a bit more of a view). I know it's not much, but gosh I love it. Good point about the grout. We do have small hex tiles now and the grout doesn't bother me, but it is mostly flat. I think the grout might be more of an issue with these chiclets.

I'm not sure but I think the cement tile pictured is their sky blue colour and I think there is another deeper blue that is called storm that would be closer to the colour I want (but not as nice as the teal colour of the mosaics).

I'm also trying to forget that cement tiles are "the next big thing" and mosaics aren't that trendy anymore. I fell in love with cement tile before I knew it was coming back into style, but now that I know, I'm worried that I'm being swayed by my evil desire to be the first in town with the latest Easter bonnet.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Maybe I should just let my DH or my contractor choose the tile. Would either of them turn it into an emotional trauma? I think not.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, crl I meant to say that yes, I am happy to look online. I've spoken to a couple already and one won't ship to Canada and one will, but I have to go thru a broker to do it and that involves yet another cost.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

$200/year is less than $17/mo. Now, is that better?

daisychain Zn3b thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • User
    8 years ago

I think this is the same tile (pic #10 on page 1). It may give a better sense of scale and what you would see of the pattern. Very pretty indeed.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks cyn and delilah. I have to say that I really thought everyone was going to say "$2000 for tile? Ridiculous!" and I'd forget about cement tile and move on. But I love it soooo much! I guess I'll wait until Monday and I hear how much it is actually going to cost.

If it is at all affordable, I'll do the measurements and see how much of the pattern would be visible. There are about 10 other smaller scale patterns I'd be happy with if this one is too big.

I just heard from my designer and the kitchen island may end up costing more than I had planned, so not sure if it is even going to be possible no matter the cost.

Maybe the tile store owner will email on Monday and say, "we were hoping to expand into your market so we've decided to give you the tile for free so everyone can see how beautiful it is. And also just because you are so charming and nice." I live in a fantasy world.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Uh oh. I think I may have bigger problems than floor tile choices. I was just looking at the floor plans to see how much space would be tiled and realized that with the extension added to the wall joists to put in the additional insulation (has to be done to meet code) the tub will be pushed out 2 inches and there was barely two inches between tub and toilet in the before bathroom. This means that nothing is going to fit back in - and we've already special ordered the replacement cast iron tub. Uh oh. Why am I the first one to notice this. Maybe I'm wrong. You'd think either the designer, the plumber or the contractor would have noticed, no? I hope I'm wrong.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Oh dear. I hope it works out!

• roarah
    8 years ago

I love your dream tile!

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I too hope this all works out and you are able to go with your dream tile. I see why you love it so. It's stunning!

• User
    8 years ago

Get them to see if there's a different insulation to meet code that requires less space.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Delilah, yes, I had that thought too. There were a few other places where we had to do this. Unfortunately, the spray foam guys just finished up everything else on Friday, but I guess they will have to come back. Sigh.

• PRO
    Villa Lagoon Tile
    8 years ago

Just read of your love of cement tile and the difficulty of making a decision. Don't know if we have patterns that you like but we do have a clearance section for small orders and some tile marked down. Usually we have a 70 sf min,. on stock tile but if the lot is smaller than that, we just sell as 'whole lot' . Any leftovers that are super tiny amount go to Habitat for Humanity (Just not practical to pallet and ship tiny orders) Anyway, this section changes frequently so have a look:

Imperfect sale priced cement tile & clearance cement tile.

The flaws in the inperfects are usually very minor. You cana click the photo to see a huge image and typical 'flaws'.

Also, better ck on the distance between tub and potty as I think some bldg. codes require 6".

Lundy

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

daisy, [the comments to this houzz idea book have some sources mentioned.[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/old-is-new-cement-tile-makes-a-comeback-stsetivw-vs~174365) Just in case you decide you need a smaller pattern or want to look for a cheaper alternative. I do love the one you posted.

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I would go for the one you want...the swirly tile. But before I ordered, I would ask if there is anyway to get the price down, whether it be a contractors discount or a change in shipping venue. But regardless, I would definitely get the one you want. If you plan to stay in the house longterm, you will regret it everytime you look at your second choice. The tile is also very beautiful, btw, and I like it much better than the teal tile.

• Anne CK
    8 years ago

Daisy,

We 'met' on my question on creating my own mosaic for my bathroom. I was in the same position as you - I love a large scale dramatic pattern, but couldn't stomach the cost - my bathroom is larger than yours, so it was definitely a difference. I am making my own pattern - I found a source in Staten Island for the Daltile colored 1 inch hex (it's matte) at a very reasonable cost - I can provide if you want it. It was cheaper than what you're looking at on the web - if that helps.

(In progress below:)

I think the Chiclet tile you're showing is adorable, but it is a completely different look - what do you really want?

• rockybird
    8 years ago

Oh no! I just read your followup on the insultation and tub installment. Any news?

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their concern. They are measuring today. Plumber thought it would be okay but he hadn't actually measured. I'll feel more secure when they have actual numbers. Luckily the toilet and tub are on site so they can measure.

I remember from our previous remodel being worried about the inspectors catching that the toilet was too close to the tub, but no one seems to think it's a problem here (inspectors have been in and out twice and never mentioned it, so I think it must be different here).

Anne, thanks! I love how it's coming along. How long did it take you to do that pattern? I love it and have easy access to dal tile, but I'm worried about committing the time to doing the design myself. I'm already doing the builtins and a bunch of other small projects.

Lundy, I took a look and there are a couple of possibilities there - don't love them as much the swirly one, but definitely doable. There is so much beautiful tile on your site.. If I had more time, I'm sure I would eventually find something in the imperfects that would work.

• jlc712
    8 years ago

You know I will vote for the cement tiles! :-) I love them.

But, budget and timelines are important, and have to be considered. I absolutely think you can have a beautiful bathroom even if you go with something else. Go wander around a good tile place and see if anything catches your eye. If you don't find anything you like, you'll know what to do!

• Anne CK
    8 years ago

Daisy,

It's not taking me long, I mapped out how much of each shape I needed using my color chart, then how each shape optimally fit on a sheet of tile, so that I was always cutting the same thing, and didn't have to think. I would be happy to share those details. I would say I've put in maybe 6 hours of work in front of the tv at night slicing up sheets.

As your space is smaller, less than that would be needed.

(Eta - this isn't all I have done - I would say I'm at least 70% done with all of it, just to be clear)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio