Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daryl_r

Another dishwasher request - what do you like/dislike about yours?

Jan Russak
8 years ago

Our 15+yo KA is finally needing replacement. It still runs fine, but the baskets are rotting out, the door springs are gone and the little soap door is also essentially hisotry. A new dishwasher is definitely called for. We have had so much good luck with KA in the past that we are predisposed to look at those, but the recent reports are not as glowing as our experience. Our main issue is wine glasses: we have good ones and generally hand wash, but we do want to able to give them a deep clean in the dishwasher from time to time. What do you currently own and what do you like and dislike about it? Thanks in advance for all the information you can give. Any recommendations especially around good wine glasses would be appreciated. If you love yours, what do you love about it?

Comments (23)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I love having a third rack and therefore no silverware basket.

I love the fact that glasses do not etch (not sure if that was due to previous dishwashers, the fact that this one is not "heated dry", or the detergent).

I love the fact that because it's not heated dry, you can put anything in it.

Most of all, I love the fact that it's super-quiet and EVERYTHING comes out sparkling clean.

I like the hidden controls (a red light shines on the floor to tell you it's running - it;s so quiet you wouldn't know otherwise).

Dislike - the cords that support the door broke and are very likely to break again.

Not a huge fan of the way the bottom tray pulls out - it seems like if you're not paying attention, when it's empty (and therefore light), it can easily pull all the way out.

Mine is a Bosch 800 series for which I paid $899 (less an overall discount and rebate) in the fall of 2013.

• cedelchef
    8 years ago

I love my Asko just purchased in May, sparkling, clean, dry dishes. It appears they're changing models so you may be able to get one discounted. Here's a link that may be useful: http://www.askona.com/dishwashers/built-in

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I will second sjhockeyfan's positive comments on our Bosch 800 series. I will add that I dislike the stainless front panel. It is much harder to clean than our frigidaire smudge proof stainless refrigerator and range.

• User
    8 years ago

Our bar was quite low ... clean dishes!

• ottoandlillysmom
    8 years ago

I hated my Bosch 800 series due to wet dishes. Worst dishwasher I ever had. If being quiet and having clean dishes are your only needs, it should work for you but I really don't want to towel dry most of my dishes when I unload and I also don't want to clean rust spots off my knives before putting them away. I talked to the appliance store and they said it was due to being energy efficient, no heater element.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

FWIW, I never have to dry my dishes by hand. Never.

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

Me either. And no rust spots.

• Jakvis
    8 years ago

ottoandlillysmom, I think you need to run away from your appliance store.

It's clear the salesman doesn't know what they are talking about. The Bosch does have a heater. 100% of the water flows over the heater and my dishes are so hot that I can't touch them when the dishwasher finishes. Ask your sales person if the water magically raises from 120F to over 160F if there is no heater.

Rust spots are knives is caused by putting different metals in the same bin and them touching each other. This has nothing to do with the dishwasher brand and happens in all dishwashers. Yet another reason to run away from your appliance store.

• ottoandlillysmom
    8 years ago

There is plenty of info on this site regarding Bosch and drying of dishes. The question has been asked before. There are all kinds of solutions like open the door 10 minutes early...... Personally I like to run my dishwasher at night and open it in the morning for clean, dry dishes. That's what works for me. I want a dishwasher that fits into my schedule not one I have to run a certain way to get the results I want. There is even discussion about salt in your water, enough jet dry etc.

Jan Russak thanked ottoandlillysmom
  • markb
    8 years ago

"Another dishwasher request - what do you like/dislike about yours?"

I have a Miele Professional that I think is the best thing since sliced bread. I like that it's lightning fast and the dishes are always clean. I like that the shortest cycle is around 19 minutes and the Pots/Pans cycle is only 48 minutes. I like that the Sanitize cycle heats water to a blistering 185 degrees although I don't use it often. I like the fact it has a built-in water softener and I LOVE the fact that the salt reservoir is in the door. (makes it much easier to fill)

Did I mention that I like this dishwasher?

• Jan Russak
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your comments - for everyone really. I know the Miele's are a more expensive but they seem to be really excellent.

• Jan Russak
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One thing that strikes us as odd this time around looking for a dishwasher is that "quiet" is a trade off with "having to muck out the dishwasher every X amount of time". How often do you have to clean the filter if the dishwasher doesn't grind up the stuff it washes off the dishes? We don't actually care about "quiet" very much. We care about getting really clean dishes and glassware - and having a trouble free, muck free experience. It is sounding to me like Bosch machines are out simply on the off chance that the reports are true and drying/not drying is an issue. The truth is that no brand or machine is currently coming across as "the one" or 'the best'. Most of the time when I shop I end up having a "wow - that's the one I want" experience. Currently I'm quite sad I can't fix the 15 year old "perfect" model.

• Jakvis
    8 years ago

I don't rinse my dishes and I check my filter about every 4 to 6 months. I rarely find anything in it.

• markb
    8 years ago

I don't rinse anything either. Mine reminds me with a message to check the filter but i never find anything in it.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Drying issues with Bosch and other European dishwashers is generally caused by user error. Yes, they won't dry as well as the old Hobart KitchenAids with forced air, as there still might be some water drops on plastics, but they should do the job for 95% of people when used correctly.

Based on the age of your KA it would have the Whirlpool Powerclean module in it. This was one of the best dishwasher pumps ever made. Great water pressure, powerful grinder, reliable. Unfortunately that is no longer being made and the new KA's, while certainly not the worst dishwasher on the market, aren't what they once were.

It's very important that you go to the store and check out the racking of all these dishwashers. That's a great way to eliminate ones that you know won't work for you. For example, many European dishwashers have more tightly packed tines that can create an issue with some dishes.

If the interior works for you, and service is available in your area, my top pick for a new DW would be Miele. The nice thing about them is that the models differ only in features and noise level - they are all the same quality. Knowing this, I bought the cheapest one with the cutlery rack for $1000, which is competitive with Bosch, KA, etc. I like how quiet it is, even though it is the loudest model they make. I like how well it cleans despite the noise level. I like how well-built it feels, and I like how simple it is to use and that it has front controls, so I always know when it's running and how much time is left in the cycle. The only things I don't like about it are that if it breaks down later on, I probably won't be able to fix it myself, I will have to use Miele authorized repair people only, and I'll have to pay high prices for parts.

Miele dishwashers can be connected to a cold water line, and the higher end models have a special glassware cycle that is designed for use with the cold water hookup. It will give you the perfect water temp for washing your wine glasses.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Currently I'm quite sad I can't fix the 15 year old "perfect" model.

It can't be repaired because the required parts aren't available?

Or "can't" because you don't want to spend the money on it? If that's the case, perhaps you should reconsider the decision since the unit apparently fits all your needs very nicely.

• blubird
    8 years ago

I've had my Bosch 800 series for about 2 months now. It's used every day with loads of various sizes. I run it off at night and most days I unload it the next morning. Frankly the dishes are way too hot to handle right after the cycle finishes. I have no problems with rust or things not being dried except for the tops of some plastic containers.

My unit does not need salt, nor have I had to clean out the filter. I scrape much of the solids off before I place the dishes in the DW, but I don't rinse anything. I've used Pledge to clean the front of the stainless unit maybe 2x since it's been installed...actually only 1x after installation...no fingerprints.

• LE
    8 years ago

Still happy with the Bosch after a year, but we do run it over night and unload in the morning. Everything is clean and the only things not dry are the things that hold actual puddles of water. But yes, as indicated above, the big fork in the road is whether or not there is a heated dry cycle. I don't miss it, but others do.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I was thinking on some of the Bosch you can go into the controls and set it for longer dry or "hotter dry" not sure what it is called. I think it mainly heats water longer or rinses last time longer for a better dry. You could try turning up the jet dry also. Maybe it is on less instead of med or more.

• Jakvis
    8 years ago

When you use the Dry option on Bosch it heats the water to a higher final rinse (around 162F) And all the dishes become approximately that temperature. When the machine stops the dishes dry from the heat built up in them. The 162F is not that far off from the same temperatures used in traditional heated dry cycles for other manufacturers.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Jakvis-How hot do the dry cycles get on the machines with a drying element? I can remember years ago when they used 1000 watt heating elements they would melt plastic sometimes(or warp it).

• Jakvis
    8 years ago

It's been a long time since I measured just the dry cycle in one with a heating element but I seem to remember it being around 170F. However one of the problems is radiant heat from an element can warp plastic that is too close to it. That's why they recommend plastic in the top rack only on units with ring elements.

Nice thing with my Bosch is I can put plastics on any rack and not worry about it. I have not ruined any plastics since going with a Bosch.