Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debutl

It's time for a kitchen remodel!

Debbie
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm back! We are refinancing the house and had to get it appraised. The value has increased over 60%! Much of it has to do with all the updates we've done. So, thank you to my Houzz friends that have helped with all of my projects...abbyjean, karemore, Ann, et al.

Stay tuned because we're kicking off the kitchen remodel soon. It will be a complete gut. I'm definitely going to need help picking out materials.

I do have a question, though. Does anyone put natural wood stained cabinets in kitchens anymore? Almost every kitchen I see has either white or cream painted cabinets.

Comments (9)

• Debbie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 years ago
    The main thing is the totality of the color pallet. We recently did a gut remodel using white cabinets and gray counters (Wilsonart Luna Shadow). But we offset that with SW Fun Yellow walls and medium brown flooring.

Many people like a medium brown cabinet. Just make sure it works with your floor (especially wood look floor ), counter, wall and appliance finishes.

I live in a warm area and white cabinets work well here, but if I lived in a snow prone area would have leaned to a warm wood finish.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 years ago
    And IOS 9.02 strikes again not letting me post pictures.
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We used Birdseye maple in all the bathroom remodels. My husband will be building the cabinets and he is a natural wood nut. I actually prefer the natural wood, too. We plan on staying in this house forever, but I still can't stand the thought of someone painting over maple cabinets if we install them then have to sell for one reason or another.

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

Natural wood is still very strong in the midwest. I also like white and other painted cabinets but prefer wood for my own kitchen. I've seen two complaints this week on Houzz from people with factory painted cabinets that have chipped paint and are relatively new.

• halcyonbear
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have both in my kitchen, and I love it. Some of the uppers are painted white to keep it from feeling too dark and cave-like and the rest of the cabinets are stained a rich medium brown. If you want to stain (not just do a clear finish), consider something like alder. I think it takes stain a lot better than maple.

That said, I live in the midwest and wouldn't be too excited about any kitchen with just a clear coat on the cabinets. Maybe a brown mahogany or walnut would be ok, but most wood turns some funky non-neutral shade over time. :(

• PRO
    Wood Done Right
    8 years ago

We have done Kitchen cabinets with a combination of Natural finished wood and painted finish, and they look great.

Hal is correct, you need to look at all surface colors together, floor, cabinets, countertops, back splash and walls. Hire a professional designer to consult with you about choices if you get stuck. They can help you focus your likes and dislikes making your selection process much simpler.

• Debbie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I actually have a kitchen designer coming this afternoon. It was difficult to find someone who would work with us since we will be doing all the work ourselves. Most designers want to use their own contractors.

i love the mix of painted and natural wood.