Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Maine Craigslist - another incredible score!

I happened to take a quick peek at CL early yesterday AM, just after this was listed about 15 miles away. Luckily I was the first to write about it. I was able to meet the seller at noon today, saw that it is in perfect condition except for a couple of teeny nicks on the legs which will cover easily. It's like brand new! I hope to do some rearranging in my home office, but we'll see. For that price, I couldn't NOT take it. It belonged to her mother, who she said always bought nice things, and who has just gone into assisted living.

Classic Styling Leather Sofa - $125

"Very dark blue (nearly black) leather sofa / couch delivers feeling of
luxury and quality. Features upholstery brass tack trim and stained wood
legs. Perfect for home library or formal living room. Very good
condition as can be seen in photos.

The sofa has a single piece cushion seat measuring 60" wide and 22"
deep. Overall approximate measurements of the actual sofa frame are:

70" width at widest point (across top back of sofa)
32" deep
33" height at tallest point measuring floor to center top of sofa back

The original label under the seat cushion attached to the sofa reads
"Colebrook Collection. Made for Hitchcock, Riverton Hitchcockville,
Connecticut."

Comments (42)

• anele_gw
    8 years ago

Perfection!

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Hesitant to write this because of what's being said about love on another thread, but I love it!

• traci_from_seattle
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! What a great find!

• J J
    8 years ago

Wonderful!

• maddielee
    8 years ago

You did good, real good!

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

It's wonderful . . . what a great find!!! I'm starting to get very jealous of all your amazing CL gems.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

And I really mean that!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Me, too. Looks great, and I especially like that it looks firm.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Hitchcock in Riverton - I remember them, was there several times. Must have been quite pricey when new. That's an incredible deal!

• User
    8 years ago

What a great find! And I think her mom would be very glad that it went to you. :)

• akl_vdb
    8 years ago

Wow, looks in wonderful condition. Great find!

• amck2
    8 years ago

I agree with MizGG. It's a beautiful piece that's found a wonderful home!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am just thrilled with it, and once I found out who made it, did lots of research last night, but I can't find the 'collection' online anywhere. I thought it might be Hancock Moore before I asked her who made it as it looks so much like this one, that I found on Pinterest.

It's more shiny, but couldn't they be 'cousins'? This is HM -

Mine

• schoolhouse_gw
    8 years ago

Oh wow! Boy do you have the luck.

• User
    8 years ago

I like yours better than the Hancock Moore.

Agree with whomever said they plan to hire you to find furniture for them. You find the most extraordinary things up there in NH!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Okay, keeping in mind the posts elsewhere about loving things here, may I say that I am really becoming quite irritated with you, my3dogs. Maine is just too far for me to drive to on a weekend and too cold for me to move there. This is what I find on our CL:

But wait...I did find a blue one, too!

Sheesh.

Maybe if I wear a couple of down coats at the same time and never leave home between November and March...

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

It's a great sofa.

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Why don't things like that happen to me? Oh wait, maybe because I never look at Craig's List. Great find.

Cyn, I hope you snapped those up.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Wow, amazing find. My three you just have to find something superb for me. I still can't believe I missed the gorgeous Maddox desk.

Cyn the pieces you posted are about ten times better than anything that is posted in South Central PA. I get so discusses I can't even look anymore.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Someone give me a link to the 'love post' I see mentioned! :-) Thank-you all, and poor cyn427, I have to tell you that we have many of those 'inflated' sofas here, too. I'm incredibly lucky to have seen this one first and she answered my email soon after; as she later had over a dozen people contact her for it, and there were still emails coming in today. I can imagine how disappointed they will be when she tells them it's been sold.

Nosoccer, I did see those online, and was hoping to see more about the collection. I have seen a place in NH that mentions selling Hitchcock starting in 1994, and may call them tomorrow to see if they carried the collection.

Thank-you, all, I can't wait to bring the 'bottom half' of it home tomorrow, as I just had room for the seat cushion with dogs in the car on a quick lunch break today.

I just saw this one, and I could have saved $25 by getting this one instead of the one I got!

"Halloween/ Steam Punk/ Goth Antique Sofa - $100

Awesome antique leather sofa with mechanical arms
    Perfect for halloween prop, stream punk or goth decor"

Or this lovely SET for $50. "Super comfy set of furniture just needs a good cleaning. $50 for the pair." SHUDDER!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Gross!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

I love it and it is blue, do the snoopy dance! But holly-Kay, you have that great goodwill up there just above DE border! How can you not find great things, one time, i found 2 antique cheq glass bead necklaces, lady in front of me missed, them, nearly died at my $1/ea. find. of course i was dyiing too, i had just missed the sale of 100s of original art all under $10 that were left over from a giant charity auction!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

What Goodwill is that having fun? We have a small, crappy Goodwill in our town that I donate to.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Ded and Holly, should I get both? Then, you could come visit and each have your own to sleep on! Hehheh. Oh and Ded, the only time I think to check CL is when my3dogs posts one of her spectacular finds. Sigh.

The first one is listed for $1500! That is correct-one thousand, five hundred. Yikes.

My3dogs, I really am truly and honestly thrilled for you. Really. Truly. ;)

• Kippy
    8 years ago

Here is one for you Cyn.......

Comfortable brown leather couch. It has cosmetic damage because the leather has peeled off

At least it is free.....

Love your new couch 3dogs

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Looky looky, i have a pic-ee! I am getting so smart i will have to replace sheldon!

Kelly i remember about 10 miles north of wilmington, de, border, up a hill, i think on 202? road separates a little before heading north it is on right side on top of hill Kinda a very ritsy suburb? almost like country? All malls it looked like were on main drag, 202, hospital on right as you go north? Been a few years since i got to go. there is a different type of thrift in Christiana, got saris there once. Oh i remember those days! Pre distribution! If that store got it, that store showed it. now they decide who gets! But you do have a discount one up there somewhere, by wilmington i think?

• User
    8 years ago

My CL sucks. The Goodwill has raised prices so high I don't buy anything. I have to sit around at auctions for hours and hours just to be outbid. Rummage sales seem to be the only place I can afford to go and these days they don't have anything I want.

• lisa_mocha
    8 years ago

What a score ... It's beautiful! Lucky you:)

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yeah, what the heck? My CL looks like Cyn's too! Nice couch!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

on the whole I find hospital, hospice, women's shelters, places like that to be the best thrifts around. i also like estate sales, you have to want what know one else notices, plants and their pots, door blocks, always look carefully. A long time ago, when i first started going to such things, I went to an estate sale back home, in the district of old houses that were the first millionaire homes. the lady that lived there had once either been someone or been married to someone! Pictures w/stars, statesmen, presidents from around the world. Roughly 50 cocktail dresses, the expensive kind. In the hall linen closet, upstairs, tucked behind the folded towels are some rolled up papers, we unroll them and there are 2 original oriental artworks, traditional style. My husband loves this stuff, there is no price on it. So we get whatever else, go downstairs and ask. $2. sure, that is ok by us. As we leave we see a photograph of her accepting the same 2 paintings from what looks like the japanese premiere and another man. Presumably the artist. though we still have not figured out who. We relish it is a big treasure! i have also bought some really expensive pots with half dead plants. $75 pot, $5 and an apology for the plant. I never mess with jewelry, furnishings, unless they are in a corner, rugs, or china.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

My favorite rummage sale is the May Madness at the Music Academy of the West. I have stood in line with people who planned vacations and flew out from the east coast just to attend. You can find everything from massive french armories to used estate lights (and get to watch Dennis Franz loading them in to his SUV). They have German Oompah bands to the Ukulele Lulus Never know what you might find, but it sure is fun looking for it.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

that sounds great! if you are in a large city, there is usually a jr. league thrift sale every year. Let me tell you, these poor ladies have to give new, or look like new, 5 items! I think they go to art shows just to buy things for it. I have scored big time, artsie phartsi and even a pin i know is silver, and i think real gold, hand made. $2. All that art show stuff is under $2. Giant paintings, under $5. the line starts at 7 am and winds for blocks, we always went late and still got deals. Another one we had was for a local college, the college was private, but was housed in a gorgeous hotel built by a railroad baron. Had a museum and the school had it's own art gallery. Anyone who was anyone in the city belonged to their museum and sat on their board. That sale was to die for. Real silver silverware, antique lace, couches for like $200 or less with those expensive tags in them. Yummmy! Just a matter of knowing where to go. Locally, we have weekly auctions. People have no idea of value. Delmarva is like an antiques mecca. this auction will sell a whole table for $1, yeah most is nearly valueless, but 1/3-1/2 is really something! and furnishings! gotta go, my mouth is watering.

• gsciencechick
    8 years ago

My3dogs, that is one fabulous sofa. Wow. Congrats!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, all! It's HOME! The pic is awful, but I wanted to take it before I covered it for the dog assault. I need to put up my fall/winter window treatments in here. It's in my home office where I spend 90% of my waking hours. The condition is perfect; I still can't believe it's mine for that price.

About 3 seconds after I put a fleece throw on it to protect it...Rooney on the right looks guilty. I need to get a cord cover for the light on top of the painting behind the sofa.

• amck2
    8 years ago

My3dogs, so glad you got it home safe & sound. Looks like you have the perfect spot & that it meets the dogs' approval :)

Still can't believe you got that beautiful sofa for less than the cost of a leather handbag!

• everdebz
    8 years ago

woof.

• Butternut
    8 years ago

I love it!

(and since we aren't supposed to say that anymore....I love the color and the shape. I also love your pointer pillow.) ;-)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

oh poo! I would ignore that ruffian! whenever you love more, it allows you to love even more! Hmmmm...at over 200 pillows, most of which i love, i must have a great capacity by now. Bring it on World! I can love most of you!

• jennybog
    8 years ago

My3dogs, I live in Maine and go on Craigslist everyday.Not sure how i missed that one.Good for you!!! I looks great!

• caminnc
    8 years ago

Once again, a great score. Great eye 3!!!