Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa6

Yellow Paint help needed for little girls room.

theresa6
8 years ago

Since I got such amazing help with my 10-year-old daughters room I thought I should try with my little one and her room :-) h

Her room is currently painted yellow which I did not choose it was that way when we moved in. It is a little bright for my taste, I am looking for a soft warm creamy color It's OK if it pulls yellow but I don't wanted to be neon. I'm going for calm and peaceful as this is a very active almost 5-year-old girl and I think a soothing color would be beneficial to her.

Her room has a forest or nature theme going with white furniture and green accents. Once I paint she will have butterflies and birds on the wall and a giant tree decal. I have a sample of Benjamin Moore Windham cream and I love the color but I think it is too light. I'm looking for something with a little more depth maybe? I don't want it to pull peachy Nor do I want to feel cold. Does anyone have any color suggestions I could try? I really like Benjamin Moore and I think I'm going to use the affinity collection for the rest of my house. So being an affinity color is a plus but it doesn't Have to be as long as it will flow well.

I was looking at jicama and I'm not sure if that is too pinkie. I was also looking at soleil but I think that is too bright. Ylang ylang? That might be too light just like the Wyndham cream.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be wonderful.

I know it doesn't look very bright in the picture but trust me it is!

Comments (32)

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

One of my favorite off whites with yellow undertone is Sherwin Williams Antique White.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I like BM Rich Cream -- creamy yellow without being too bright.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/marthas-vineyard-traditional-bedroom-boston-phvw-vp~2061083

• Fori
    8 years ago

I've been happy with the cleverly named BM "light yellow". It's a clean mellow yellow without being YELLOW. But it's definitely yellow. Maybe too yellow. Nah. Yellow is good. (Gee. "Yellow" is sure a weird word.)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I love BM Lemon Ice

• cawaps
    8 years ago

Yellows/creams are hard. They are chameleons with respect to the light and orientation of the room. What looks very restrained in one person's living room can look very vivid in another's (or in the same room at different times of day). So it is really hard to give advice over the internet, and you should take all recommendations with a grain of salt.

I tracked down a few old threads I remembered on choosing yellow paint colors.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2408756/a-new-yellow-direction-would-love-input?n=138

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2688695/help-finalize-yellow-color-placement-for-my-kitchen-today?n=124

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2482723/a-good-vintage-y-ben-moore-cabinet-yellow?n=54

The first two are from 2LittleFishies kitchen--here's her reveal (I think she ended up using BM Barley):

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2459739/2littlefishies-yellow-kitchen-reveal-long?n=157

Have you thought about blue walls? With the mural, blue would read as sky, which I think would be calming.

• malabacat
    8 years ago

Take a look at BM sweet cream.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I'm doing my kitchen in BM Capitol White, which is a very warm creamy white, a lot of yellow in it.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

BM Ivory Tusk is a very soft yellow. (Maybe too light???)

• User
    8 years ago

I think the Soleil would be pretty; if it's too bright, maybe the paint store can lighten it up by mixing it at 50 or 75% strength. I would call and ask.

• kudzu1965
    8 years ago

Behr Kansas Grain. Very creamy soft yellow with undertones of brown.

• mcsooey
    8 years ago

My fav yellow is BM 'Man on the Moon' OC-106. It's a very nice, buttery and calm yellow. I have used it in two homes with great results. It is bright without feeling like a school bus in in the room.

Good luck. I hope you are happy with whatever you choose.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is so hard. I went out and got a sample of BM jicama, and it is totally pink/orange in her room. I love the pictures I see of windham cream but in her room it looks too light and washed out. How do I select a color that is substantial (not too light) but also doesn't pull orange or pink?

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I have WIndham Cream, and yes, it's pretty light. However, we have two more yellow rooms, and once all the walls are painted, it intensifies the color.

We have BM Lighthouse and one lighter on that same strip.

• User
    8 years ago

Choosing colors is hard and requires some patience but don't worry, you'll get there. Have you considered just buying a fan deck? Depending on the store, they can be pretty reasonable. I invested in a Sherwin William's fan deck because I actually like their colors more than Benjamin Moore's, especially their grays. It wasn't expensive and is so helpful to have even now that we're done painting (for a while at least). OTOH, Benjamin Moore's are pricey and they're sold by the series, classic, historical and so on.

• danvirsse
    8 years ago

Have you considered SW Paper Lantern? I have it in in both my Kitchen & Laundry/Mudroom and everyone comments on loving the color. It is definitely yellow, but soft and soothing.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi again! I painted some samples on the wall. First I primed the area in an attempt to get a clearer picture of the color not influenced by the current wall color. Not sure it worked.

So what does everyone think? Which should I go with?

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Top is soleil, middle is Philadelphia cream, 3rd is Windham cream. Top right is Ylang ylang.

i love soleil but I think it's too bright. Philadelphia cream looks brown to me.

Husband likes ylang ylang. I'm not sure if it's brown/dull looking. Somehow both wc and yy look pink or peach. I'm wondering if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

• User
    8 years ago

I think I agree with your husband- I like top right Ylang Ylang (where do they get these names??) and also I do like bottom left Windham Cream. I remember years ago really loving Philadelphia cream in real life... lol was I of any help?

• makmartell
    8 years ago

Love the bottom left, Windham Cream.

• User
    8 years ago

We used BM Creme Brulee in our greatroom. It definitely reads more yellow on the wall than on the chip. The thing about yellow is that, when painted on all 4 walls, the color intensifies because it reflects off of the other walls. I hope that makes sense.

If you live anywhere near me, you are welcome to have all 25 yellow samples it took for me to choose this color...

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/colorExplorer/printAction.do?lang=en_US&cd=2022-70&col=CP

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I don't think that this way will work because you have all that surrounding yellow reflect on your sample.

• eastautumn
    8 years ago

Most of your samples look as saturated (at least on my monitor) as the yellow that is already on the walls that you're not crazy about. Were you looking for something lighter, or just a different hue? I think a lighter shade would look better with the greens and whites in the room, but it's such a personal decision, and of course how the colors read depends so much on your lighting, etc.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Windham Cream is quite light, which is why I commented on the surrounding yellows.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got sick of my own indecision and after trying about seven different yellow samples I decided I just needed to paint the room. I couldn't tell one thing from another because of the yellow background so I just picked the one that was closest to what I wanted and I'm hoping for the best. At this point, repainting will be cheaper than buying more samples :-)

I will make sure to show better after pictures once I finished.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can so relate to the indecision - and you know, it's highly likely that you picked a winner and it's done. Enjoy! (looks good- what color is it?)

• Vertise
    8 years ago

I liked the top right. Ylang. It looked quiet and good with the dark wood door. The one you are using looks like a winner.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. Just finished my second coat and pulling off the tape so far I think I like it! It it was a little browner than I wanted it to but it still looks yellow. it's the Ylang Ylang.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I finished! I'm actually very happy with the color I think it looks

Soothing in there. It's hard to get a true representation because of the camera but it is very calm. I haven't gotten everything up on the walls yet I will post another picture once I do :-)

This is probably the truest picture of the color I could get.

• User
    8 years ago

Nice!

• Vertise
    8 years ago

Very pretty! It does look good with the dark wood.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Last one I promise. I finally got everything up on the walls and the room is almost done. All I am waiting for is the tree decal my daughter wants and the light switch plate I ordered from etsy.