Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_99815

I need help with very steep backyard hill

Susan Pingleton
11 years ago
My backyard has a very steep downward slope. I sit next to a busy road. The rain water erodes a section to point of deep crevices.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Amy Martin Landscape Design
    11 years ago
    Could you post some pictures of it as it is?
  • nancy22032
    11 years ago
    You might terrace the hillside to stop downhill drainage. You would need a pro to plan it and there are some type of drains that could be installed. I would urge you to take action quickly before your house is damaged.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Nancy is right, terracing is the best idea. Well placed plants and hardscape will do a lot for your slope.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    I have been down this road (so to speak)
    The problem is that if it is very steep there is a risk that there will be a landslide as more and more water filters in. Those deep crevices are not a good sign. Some kind of wall retention may be required.

The other solution is plant with shrubs that have a good root system and that grow fast - the best (depending on your area) is a purple willow which has an amazing root system, is pretty hardy but will need regular pruning (every 2-3 years).

However, I would only proceed with this plan of action once you have checked with a landscaper or even your local council.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Agreed, definitely have an engineering or professional landscaper do a proper retaining wall and drainage so the yard stays intact over time.

Cove Neck · More Info
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Everyone, would a French drain work in this situation?....Bobbi
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    A French drain is a debated topic. In the east it means a filtered rock filled hole that water is sent to for slow dispersal to the underground aquifer. In the west, many call underground perforated drainage "French" drains. As water becomes more of a pressing issue, collecting and saving surface water will become more advantageous. At one time, most homes on small properties in the Midwest collected all rainwater in an underground tank and had a pump to pull landscape water out. Cistern systems are beginning to be installed for roof and foundation drainage and for gray water retention in many larger projects in the west.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    David! You know too much! More than I can follow, anyway :))
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    bobbi...twenty five years, four states (counting the years I worked with my dad and brother in law as states but not years) three houses from fixer to show home (two and a half, sell it when I finish or die). Oh yeah...and keeping my eyes open and mouth shut while the real pros did their magic. And yes to reading up and studying my field...au courant. Passion for houses and building, art and architecture. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
  • simplify52
    11 years ago
    Hahaha, Bobbi! I was thinking the very same thing. Ironwood Builders is VERY knowledgable. I wish we had him here in Florida. I ALWAYS learn so much from him. Thank you, Ironwood!!!!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Awww, Kathy, that's so nice!
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Susan, I agree with terracing the retaining wall first, with a civil engineer, and then landscape architect. The terraces are a wonderful starting point. One can have inspiration to start gardens on each level. A water feature, in form a a waterfall, could be incorporated at the lower tiers or a trough of water. It has a noise differal and if cars go by, once in awhile or at certain hours of the day you might turn on the waterfalls for noise differal. Also the bottom tiers you may have fun with herbs, an herb garden or vertical herbs! a nice project and one you can use!

I can't wait to see your 'before' and 'after' pictures. Thankyou.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    You all are welcome...I have a tremendous debt...and no pay back is possible...paying forward is my only option. I hope my communication and knowledge help and not hurt...