Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Now for the LeGrice roses...

bethnorcal9
8 years ago

Ok Zuzu, I don't think Sara-Ann did a thread on the LeGrice roses. At least I don't remember us doing it? So here are mine...

AMBERLIGHT - still a really short little thaing... never seems to get much taller than 2ft, and spreads about the same. Love the amber-butterscotchy color.

DEB'S DELIGHT - another kinda shorty-one... not much taller than AMBERLIGHT, and this one's a Hortico Multiflora-grafted one whereas AMBERLIGHT was an own-root from Vintage. This rose blooms better tho.

GREY DAWN - a little taller than the other two. Love the weirdo colors. Not a real great rebloomer. But gotta have it for the oddball bed!

JOCELYN - another oddball... I hadn't realized the LeGrices did so many of them... Love the rusty-burgundy color. This poor thing got moved to the "other" oddball bed a few yrs ago, and it hasn't done much. I need to go check and make sure it hasn't deceased... (auuuggghhh!!)

LAVENDER LADY... believe it or not... I found this girl as a bagged bareroot at the Chico Raley's supermarket over 15yrs ago.. She's a lovely thing. Grows to almost 4ft some yrs and blooms decently.

MY CHOICE - love this one! Grows about 5ft x2ft. The blooms have such an interesting look to them. Almost scalloped, but just not quite.

NIMBUS - yet another oddball... One of the best ones of all the ones I have. Blooms a LOT! Lovely dusty mauve informal blooms that nod on a plant about 3ft x3ft.

RIPPLES - own root from Vintage... another shorty and not a great bloomer..

TOM BROWN - probably my very favorite of the bunch. I originally had it own root from Vintage yrs ago, but it died. Got this one from Cliff when he closed up. I think it was one of the mother plants. I planted it in the ground in the fall. Hasn't bloomed there yet. I love the range of browns, tans, apricots, greys, mauves and yellows it gets.

VESPER - another good one... Grows taller than most of them. Sometimes almost 5ft. Blooms well and they last a long time.

Comments (22)

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And the last ones...

VICTORIANA - another oddball and one of my faves. Unfortunately it died a few yrs ago. I have one on order at RVR, for over a yr now! I sure hope it's going to be one of the ones they restock this month!

WORTHWHILE - now this one is the tallest one! Gets almost 6ft and the blooms are phenomenal. Huge and beautiful!

I also have HARRINY, but it's not doing so hot. Doesn't bloom or grow much. Might be in too much shade. Altho I have a lot of teas in that bed that are monsters...

Ok so, everybody show us your LeGrice roses!!

• Zuzu (Sebastopol, CA, 9a)
    8 years ago

WooHoo! Great pictures. I have pretty much the same ones you have, but I'll put them in order and post them soon.

8 years ago

My Choice is a great big grafted rose from Cliff's moving sale. Gorgeous big blooms.

News is another own-root rose that does quite well without grafting.

Nimbus is another of my favorite roses. It has no problem growing big on its own roots and it keeps changing color, so it's entertaining. These three are all Nimbus, at different times of the year and different stages of bloom.

Plentiful doesn't really look like most of the other LeGrice roses. It's packed with petals and looks more like an Austin rose.

Ripples is a medium-sized own-root rose from Vintage. It's getting weaker each year, but I've had it for about 10 years now.

I killed three Tom Browns from Vintage before buying a good one from, of all places, Heirloom. This rose is a gem. It's small, but all the blooms are beautiful. I'd kill for a grafted one.

It looks good from any angle.

8 years ago

Vesper's another rose that changes color. Sometimes it's almost beige and other times it's peachy-orange.

Victoriana is another one I killed three times in the own-root version before buying a grafted one from Cliff. I cherish it.

• L G
    8 years ago

Beth, It would be a dream come true to walk through your garden! All those odd coloured roses... Nimbus, Tom Brown, Victoriana, Lilac charm, Vesper, Grey Dawn... I would love to see them in real life! Thank you for sharing!

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you LG! Zuzu's got 'em all too!

Gorgeous pics BTW Zuzu!! You're right about VESPER. It does get a nice range of colors. Sounds like we're having similar experiences with these roses, even tho you have cooler temps over there. After posting my pics last night, I emailed RVR to see what the status is on my backordered VICTORIANA. I don't expect to hear back til Monday, most likely. I also have PAPI DELBARD included in that backorder.

• PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    8 years ago

That Nimbus and Tom Brown are stunning! Wow! Gorgeous coloring. I like unusual coloring.

8 years ago

Vintage Gardens, Sequoia, and Hortico used to be such good sources for LeGrice roses, but now they're increasingly hard to find here. I wish Ludwig's would carry them. Wouldn't it be great if some of those Ludwig's roses we can't find on HMF turn out to be alternative names for Legrice or Dot roses?

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Miss Vintage and Sequoia... and all those "sometimes-available" roses from Hortico.... I think those Ludwig roses not found on HMF are mostly their own hybrids

• L G
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So sorry Zuzu! I completely missed that some of the photos were from your garden. You and Beth are very fortunate to be able to grow all these lovely colours! I thoroughly enjoy your photos. By the way, if you tell me which unknown Ludwig's rose you would like more info on I may be able to help (a little bit!) as I grow quite a number of them and watched many others grow as I visit his nursery at least once a month just to walk through the rows of blooms and to leisurely study them - better than any spa or coffee shop.

8 years ago

Beth, for several years Vintage had a retail store within walking distance of my house. I used to walk over there and load up a big shoe box full of bands. Sometimes I wasn't content with just the amount I could carry and had to call a neighbor with a car to come and get me. The bands at the retail store were $7.95 in those days, and there was a 50-cent table for bands that had lost their labels.

What a great offer, LG! The most intriguing one I can think of offhand is Fragrant Peace, which has a denomination code linking it with Jan Spek Nurseries, but HMF has no photos of a Spek rose that resembles Ludwig's gorgeous picture. I've been burned before when I've ordered a rose based on nothing more than one glamour shot, so I'm hesitant. Is it really as pretty as it looks on the website?

Another is Amber Panarosa. The photo reminds me of Apricot Sky, a Barni climber I wanted for a long time. I bought one from Roses Unlimited, but it has stayed short and "runty" for the last 5 years, so I'd love to replace it with a stronger one. Ludwig's does carry some Barni roses, so I'm wondering whether Amber Panarosa might be the same rose as Apricot Sky.

• oldrosarian
    8 years ago

Here is my one and only Le Grice rose... Pearl Drift

8 years ago

Only one, but a really nice one.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very pretty!!

• elisse59
    8 years ago

Lovely roses! Might have to search out a "my Choice"!

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Beautiful! I don't have any LeGrice roses. Hmmm...maybe I should fix that!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

I have mostly the same LeGrice roses as Beth and Zuzu, though mine don't necessarily look or act the same. For instance, I was sure that Amberlight would be short (2-3') so I put it out by my mailbox. Wouldn't you know, it's one of a few mailbox roses that routinely wants to be taller than 3', and in a cold zone to boot? In fact, I might wonder if my plant from Vintage is mislabeled, since it has not the barest hint of apricot or butterscotch in the blooms. Here's an average shot:

In fact, some Amberlight blooms later in the fall faded to a lighter pink but they had noticeably fewer petals and "eyelash" kind of stamens:

Weird how LeGrice roses can differ so much by conditions, but he's kind of champion of the "oddball" rose colors anyway. In fact, My Choice tends to open up to those eyelash stamens too when it gets going, like below (there are more petals hidden behind these open ones that you can't see well):

I dearly love Nimbus that I also got from Vintage and each year I have to breathlessly wait to see if it has survived my zone 5 winter. Surprisingly, since a lot of Le Grice oddballs aren't very hardy, Nimbus has been consistent over 5-6 years, but it almost never has surviving cane. It's one of the classic roses that typifies that indescribable in-between color of "greyge" when it's feeling mysterious...:

...though it masquerades as pink many times.

Ripples is one of the few Le Grice roses still actively available (Rogue Valley), and it's a nice usually lavender color (not a great photo, but this was a new rose for me last year):

Jocelyn only survived one summer with me (very winter tender) and she never got beyond the brick orange tone that a lot of russet roses can get in the heat.

I also tried Goldgleam, Grey Dawn, Tom Brown, Vesper, and White Spray, but none of them survived more than a summer for me. At least Tom Brown is available from Heirloom and Vesper from Rogue Valley (sometimes). I have Tom Brown back on order this year even though he's a long shot in my zone. He did survive one average winter only to die from gardener error (grrr), so he's worth at least another try.

Lovely photos folks! I definitely need to give Vesper another try as that one has that haunting Le Grice color!

Cynthia

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Wow, do I love all your Le Grice roses, Beth, Zuzu, oldrosarian, and Cynthia, including the so called oddball colors, which I think are my favorites. The ruffles and flourishes are just frosting on the cake. Your photos really do these roses justice in their many subtle changes of color. Thanks for posting such interesting rose photos. Diane

8 years ago

Super pictures, Cynthia. The difference in those two Amberlight blooms is amazing, almost as though two different cultivars were budded onto rootstock.

I love those eyelash stamens. Kathleen Mills has the most prominent ones in my garden.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

I do not need anymore roses but Nimbus is really really pretty. Y'alls pics are soooo pretty!! Judy

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beautiful pictures Cynthia! I hate to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure that is not AMBERLIGHT. I've never seen it look like either of those colors. It's interesting tho, whatever it is.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022