Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galinas_hs

Please help me choose right agribon

galinas
8 years ago

This year I have to plant my peppers, eggplants and other warmth loving plants outside earlier then usual - I have to leave on May 19 and can't relay on my DH to keep them alive in their pots for 2 weeks I am away. According to the AccuWeather there will be 2-3 night at 45-48F with days in 60s F, the rest of the days should be warmer. I am planning to cover all with Agribon. What type - AG-19, AG-30 or AG-50 is best match for this purpose? The plants going to stay under cover until I am back. Soil is pretty warm now, as it really never got frozen well this winter. Right now the plants are in the portable greenhouse on my deck, the greenhouse is heated at night to 60F. I am going gradually bring night temperature down to 53F.

Comments (9)

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    8 years ago

Although your information is very thorough I don't believe you are asking the right questions. If you were to plant outside in a few weeks you likely could get by with the Agribon 19. I've seldom used anything heavier in the spring for a prolonged period. However, it will only grant modest frost protection and there is no guarantee that we won't still have a few colder nights yet this spring. Whatever you decide on be sure to secure it well. I would put black plastic mulch down a few says in advance to plant these crops through before you cover to help warm the soil. Naturally the longer you wait to plant the better your odds are so I would at least wait until early May. I don't have much faith in weather forecasts beyond 3 days.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Agree on the 19. Much heavier and you risk badly trapped heat during especially warm days unless someone can be there to raise/open it. But May 19 is a month away so do you really have to plant them now, this early?

Dave

• galinas
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

No, I am not going to plant them now, I am planning on May 17-18, but even then it is going to be cold night first few days - at least this is what they tell us today... Now I am ordering Agribon, to have it ready. Thanks for your help!

8 years ago

Sounds much better. Still, the only time that I can remember when I didn't have to attend to a row cover for a 2 week span I covered cantaloupes and placed pins and sandbags every 5 ft along the cover edges. In order to keep the fabric tight and not damage young peppers and eggplants you should probably put wire hoops over plants before covering. I've seen horror scenes resulting from freezing rain to high winds. I've even had a utility company untangle one of my covers from a power line.

On the brighter side, the row cover will keep out flea beetles and other pests that can riddle young plant leaves. Once you have it in you are best to leave it on until plants flower.

• defrost49
    8 years ago

Agree on 19. Last year I put Agribon 19 over winter squash seedlings because cucumber beetles had attacked zucchini plants. Did not take Agribon off until mid July. I'm zone 5-ish in NH. Best winter squash crop ever.

• galinas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all) I am not new to row covers, just never used them unattended for two weeks and also never use agribon. The one I have is different brand, and I do not know it specs - just call it thin and thick) But there is not enough of them on hands... Already ordered agribon 19, thanks again.

7 years ago

Pepper picture is very impressive. We're plants that tall before covering? Are they a sweet banana or bullhorn type?

• galinas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They've been about same tall, but fruit were much smaller, I transplanted them just few days before my trip. They are Gypsy Hybrid - one of the earliest ones. I start them in February and transplant in the end of May (mid of May this year due to my upcoming trip). They start flowering and setting fruit indoor. When this wave will be ready and picked, they will start growing much faster and producing in waves. By the end of the season they usually 3-4' tall and very wide. Now they are about 1.5 -2'.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville