Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkblair13

Construction sequencing

Lesha Blair
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm trying to figure out the order of how to do rest of our renovation project. Here is basic list of the major components that still need to be completed. There are a few other things like install lights, replace switches, etc. However, none of those things are in the "critical path" of the project so they can be completed whenever we have free time or find the fixture.

I'm not concerned about the level of the tile /appliance/countertop. The tile currently runs under the appliances and will continue to do so. I don't anticipate a huge change in the height so we shouldn't have any issues. We will be using granite or soapstone for the countertop.

As mentioned in one of the responses below, the cabinets are in good condition. The only problem is that the finish needs updating. The thing I need help on is the order that I should complete the tasks.

Please feel free to give you input on the order of completion for the tasks below:

Demo tile floor

Demo existing countertop and backsplash

Paint kitchen cabinets

Install new flooring- tile

replace baseboards

Install new countertop

Install new backsplash

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• User
    7 years ago

Demo should be long completed. It's messy and needs to be all done at one time. You are also not factoring any floor prep, which will be needed, and is often quite significant.

I wouldn't count on old cabinets being worth saving and painting. The old stapled drawers with epoxy side mount glides will tell you to buy new. Also, all cabinets need to be set at the finished floor height. Or you will have issues with appliances and clearances. With you doing new flooring, that can be a big issue, unless you are doing a thin vinyl.

Cabinets also need to be perfectly level in all 6 dimensions, in order to provide the correct substrate for the counters. Old cabinets can have a problem with that and may need shimming, or even rebuilding, or removing and reinstalling.

• Lesha Blair
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I figured floor prep would be included when we put down the new tile. The cabinets are of great quality and are in good condition. The only problem is the wood grain is such an outdated color. We actually stained the cabinetry in 3 other places in the house. However, that was a really dark chocolate and we would like to lighten up the kitchen more. So we are going to try painting.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Will the floor level change when you retile? Will the tile run under the appliances? I assume the tile won't run under the cabinets as you are not replacing them. Just make sure you don't create an issue with appliances you can't slide out because the flooring is not the same height so they are essentially tiled in, or with appliance height vs cabinet height vs counter height - you need to consider all these specifics to make sure the new flooring will allow your kitchen to function correctly.

Oh and consider changing out cabinet hardware for a new refreshed look, if needed. Good luck!

• Lesha Blair
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know the tile runs under the refrigerator and the range. I'd have to go check on the dishwasher. If it changes, it will be minimal

• PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    7 years ago
    As mentioned earlier the cabinets will need to be leveled for any type of countertop. Laminate countertops will conform to unlevel cabinets, any hard surface will not. The countertop folks will simply shim their countertop level leaving unsightly gaps, because cabinetry leveling is not in their job description. Once you put new countertops on old cabinets using hard surfaces such as granite or quartz. you are stuck with those cabinets forever as no one will remove those countertops and attempt to install them over new cabinets due to the chance of them breaking.