Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emski037

Eden hardy to zone 3? Really? (Canadian Eden?)

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I found this Eden rose at a local nursery on sale for $10. Last one there and I couldn't resist. I've read that most Edens are large shrubs in zone 5 and can hardly be classified as a climber and not so hardy to zone 5 as labeled. Well, here is one that is labeled HARDY TO ZONE 3!!! Is this some Canadian Eden? Here are the screen shots from my phone after scanning the QR/Barcode on the tag. Please see "about this plant" section where it explains more. BTW is does have fairly strong fragrance. This is the info it provides on the plant:

Is this really true and I don't have to winter protect it? I already planted it in a spot where I was thinking it wouldn't get so big. Should have read this first. I wonder it it's all correct. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Comments (8)

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Cynthia, thank you much. Yea you are right it may be just a selling tactic or something of an opinion. One thing I don't understand in the "about the plant" section what does "our own selection of multiflora seedlings" mean'? Oh and "flowers are extremely fragrant" hmmm is Eden supposed to be fragrant? Also, in the back it says it's from the Romantica Series... ???

• 7 years ago

You have to understand the plan. We start by writing insanely optimistic things on the plants tags. Then we teach the roses to read. After they have read the plant tags, they will finally understand what it is we expect from them, and cooperate.

Until then, Eden is really a zone 6 rose. As Nippstress said, it isn't cane hardy in zone 5, and blooms on old wood. Not a good combination.

Now, I just need somebody to explain the tags I've seen saying Westerland is a rugosa.

• 7 years ago

lol yea no kidding mad-gallica. Seriously a lot of the labels are so misleading. It's very misleading to people who don't really do their research on a particular rose and just go ahead and plant with these crazy expectations. I've been a victim of that with my Joseph's Coat when the label said hardy to zone 5. Although it's putting out quite a few blooms it's nothing close to what I imagined it would be.

• 7 years ago

I live in the toronto region and Eden is hardy but "not" cane hardy up here. It won't be a tall climber for us but it is a vigorous rose. I have a few buds already and they already opened. All the blooms are from "new" canes or produced from this spring. Obviously I won't see all those multiple blooms on it like those who live in warmer regions but I am just as happy to see the few (10 on my bush so far) that does bloom.

• 7 years ago

This is different from the hardiness issue that also got me when I started growing roses. But I did show Lions Fairy Tale the tag that came with it after planting it in the front of a bed. Do you see this I said 2 to 3 feet high. Your easily 6 feet high and look very out of place. If I leave you here next year will you promise to do as your tag said. She just smiled and opened another flower.

• 7 years ago

It looks like you have a sweet rose there Patty! One of the important things I have learned from this forum is cane hardiness vs. plant hardiness.I have always wanted climbers but it is very disappointing to learn that we don't have many selection up her. But that is life!

• 7 years ago

So funny, Patty! Yes, if Eden has a fault it is that it is not extremely fragrant but I'd never want to be without it. I do wrap my Edens in Burlap and mound up mulch at the base for winter protection. If I were in zone 3 I would sure try to grow it!