Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildhaired_mavens

I thought Yukon Gold Potatoes were early?

It's been three months since I planted Yukon gold potatoes. I heaped an additional foot of dirt on them, and now the plants are three foot tall. They flowered a month ago, fell over and turned into bushes.

Temperature is 60 to 75 degrees and overcast. When are my potato plants going to start dying so I can pull up my spuds.

Last year's potatoes rotted, and I had to plant these a few time because worms kept eating the seed potatoes. I just hope I get food this time.

Also can I plant peas after potatoes?

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

YG is a mid-season variety @ 100-105 days. But keep in mind those labels - early, mid, and late - are just general guidelines. There are too many variables to guarantee a specific date or number of days.

If you feel you mist, you can harvest them any time you wish but it will cost you some production size. So for best results be patient.

No reason I know of why peas can't be planted where potatoes were grown unless there is a lot of residual nitrogen in the soil for some reason.

Dave

Wild Haired Mavens thanked digdirt2
  • Wild Haired Mavens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks dig dirt, its only been about a hundred days I want the biggest harvest I can get so I'll wait til thanksgiving if I have to.

The way those potatoes are growing I doubt there's much nitrogen left. Ill put compost to replace what's missing.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes Peter, I kept looking at those big bushes and wondering if the worms are getting my harvest. The plants look so strong there must be food growing.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    7 years ago

Yukon Gold usually dies first of my 3 varieties. They have now died while the others are sizing up their potatoes.

Wild Haired Mavens thanked wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
  • Peter (6b SE NY)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is my Red Gold right now

I harvested this from one plant, at 8" spacing.

Wild Haired Mavens thanked Peter (6b SE NY)
  • Wild Haired Mavens
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Wayne, what varieties do you grow?

Peter, that's a great harvest and they look better than store bought. Delicious

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    7 years ago

The Red Golds are incredibly delicious! IMO much tastier and earlier than the Kennebec, but a smaller yield. I am expecting a bigger harvest from the ones at 12" spacing. I might dig them up tomorrow.

7 years ago

Wild Haired Mavens, I grow mostly Kennebecs, a few Yukon Gold, and a few Pontiac. I like a few Yukons for bakers when they are new...not so much later. I like Kennebecs for all purpose.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    7 years ago

Here's the harvest from those 4 plants in the above picture.

Red Gold Harvest

Not the highest yielding but super early and super delicious. Perfect roasters.

I am also growing Kennebec, those won't be ready for another month. Higher yielding but more bland tasting, excellent texture though perfect for baking and sour cream or fries or any use where it gets sauce.

I will definitely grow Red Golds again. They supposedly have a short dormancy so I am going to try sticking a few back in the ground for a fall harvest.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Peter, that's a laundry bucket full of new potatoes from four plants. Amazing! Great job.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    7 years ago

Nah that's not a laundry bucket... it's about the size of a bag of potatoes at the grocery store. Thanks though. :)

The Kennebecs do give a large round bucket's worth from that many plants for me.

7 years ago

Peter, I'm not sure that the new potatoes replanted immediately will sprout very soon

• fbx22
    7 years ago

I prefer harvesting potatoes as small or "new" potatoes. I can buy large potatoes for $1 or $2 a bag for 10 pounds. While they charge the same price for a pound of baby or new potatoes. I haven't ever found any difference in taste from garden potatoes compared to grocery store or market potatoes

Wild Haired Mavens thanked fbx22
  • Peter (6b SE NY)
    7 years ago

wayne, maybe not, but they claim it can be done with this variety, and I can live without a few small potatoes to try with.