Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conny_e

Adenium seedling update

In the last 2 days I have sowed another 165 Mr Ko seeds and 50 arabicum seeds (10 variaties) I bought from an English seller which I hope will be at least half as successful as Mr Ko's.. (I promise, ma, no more this year....). If all germinate it will double the number of adenium seedlings this summer.

I thought I'd give un update on the seedlings that have succesfully germinated since I started on June 7th, that is: show some of my favourites :-)

The first seed that ever germinated (on June 10th) and for that reason I love it. It is now the second biggest, passed by a sibling, but still it was and is the proof that against every expectation I am successful at this job :-)

My triple crown I call this, because all by itself it started branching from the word go:

The stems on all seedlings have a reddish/brown colour, except for this one which has a really nice shade of green:

A couple have really nice compact growth:

And I love it when they start branching early like these two (there's more like these)

Three have started to grow curly leaves (all different variaties, supposedly):

A little experiment with 2 seedlings I thought were not going to be anything special. They've been together for over a month now, and seem to thrive on eachother's company:

And the previous batch of Mr Ko's two variaties threw up a couple of triple leaved seedlings (more than just these two):

Comments (62)

• Dianne (Melbourne, Australia) (11)
    7 years ago

So exciting watching your seedlings grow. Please keep updating.

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Dianne (Melbourne, Australia) (11)
  • greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Stuart, I think it was Steffen who was trying to fuse two small seedlings together but I've not seen him post for some time now.

Gill

• ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lucky 4 leaf adenium!

I've got used to seeing 3 leaf seedlings appear, but this is a first for me!

• Dianne (Melbourne, Australia) (11)
    7 years ago

So exciting watching your babies grow. :-)

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Dianne (Melbourne, Australia) (11)
  • Marica 7 high Sierra's Ca 4,000ft
    7 years ago

You get to see such growth. I am jealous. My seedlings are so slow.

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Marica 7 high Sierra's Ca 4,000ft
  • Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    7 years ago

That four leafer sure is a cutie! I do have several 3's but I don't think I'd seen a four before. Maybe it will turn out to be lucky. ;)

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will treat it as a special one Hyn!

7 years ago

I have an /almost/ four leafer. It has three but one leaf is big and dimpled like it tried to be two. I'll wait and see what it does. ;)

Original Author
    7 years ago

The variegated seedling's next set of leaves seems to continue the same pattern, fingers crossed

The two seedlings I glued together (see my post above dtd 30th July) came apart, but I keep them together with a piece of tape. They still seem to enjoy each other's company

And just to show the current daytime set-up:

at night all seedlings go back in smaller gh's on the heatmats to keep the temperature up. But in this bigger gh at least they get more daylight/sun and I don't have to worry about the occasional rainshower (I was really fed up with running around with the trays, keeping a constant eye on the weather, and even more so hubbie not following my instructions while I am at work...)

7 years ago

Wow moving twice a day

Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol, yes, that's what it is now. Before the big gh it was more often.

7 years ago

Awesome about the variegated seedling! Great photos and post.

• Martin (retired viking from Denmark)
    7 years ago

Conny, nice setup! You have many seedlings. ;-) What is your plan for the coming autumn and winter? Keep them under T5s?

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Martin (retired viking from Denmark)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Martin!

I'm actually working on the autumn/winter set-up at the moment.

The most practical and cost-effective idea I've worked out so far is getting a Mammoth Pro (or similar) tent. I plan to use the frames of the smaller green houses (like the one in the middle of the picture above), so without the plastic covers, inside the tent. Then on the frames above each shelf I want to hang T5's (the shelves are 65cm wide). Do you think this will be ok?

As for temperatures: the tent will be inside a reasonably-insulated building next to the house. I think I'll use a temperature-controlled electrical radiator or blow-heater to keep the temperature up to about 22 degrees.

Any better ideas or advice from the experts here is more than welcome!!!

• Martin (retired viking from Denmark)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Conny, sound like a splendid idea! But to make full use of the light, you will need click-on reflectors and/or reflective materials close to the shelves and seedlings. Last year I used a "light box" with 2xHOT5s but even with additional reflective material in the box (not there on the following photo), I had to keep the seedlings quite close to the tubes, around 1 inch below them. And the light levels were considerably lower at the perimeter of the box. I had to turn the seedlings at the perimeter on a daily basis.

I know that Rick uses T5s in his big winter light setup. He is the man to ask if you go for the T5 solution. :-)

EDIT: 22C should be enough to keep them happy and semi-active/out of dormancy. To get them growing, you will need at least 25C.

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Martin (retired viking from Denmark)
    7 years ago

Nice posts! How many tubes of T5's are you using per shelf at that close, Martin? I am expecting to have sunlight to augment mine but I know I can't count on that especially should it turn out to be a rainy winter.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

When I use my T5 HO Florescent tubes ( 6 tubes X 4') covering a dimension of 2'x4'. All my plants are directly under this fixture. None are outside of the area and directly under a light (tube). The lights are one from 9-10 Hrs. and then they receive sunlight from a South facing exposure (window) for the duration of the day 8a.m. - 5p.m.. The back (side facing inside of house) has a solid white panel and the sides the same. The sides are removed for the daytime and replaced for the time in which the lights are on.

All plants are approximately 3" below the lights. I use lifts under trays, pots so as to have all the canopies of plants at the same level.

I am intrigued w the LED lights and what I see Martin and Tracy getting for results (I know that there are a few others, but it escapes me right now).

My light set-up has worked so well for me, that until it gives up. I will continue with it. Then might consider the LED's, w quidance from here.

Rick

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Martin and Rick: thank you both so much for your input!

As for temperatures: the seedlings aren't always at 25C or above now in summer either. Is it to prevent them from dormancy to keep the average temperature higher in winter?

Unfortunately I can't give them any natural sunlight in winter, our buildings and their windows are just positioned wrong for that. So I have to rely on a fully enclosed tent for the purpose with reflective material on the inside. I would love to go for LED, but it seems so expensive. As mentioned I plan to keep the seedlings on the trays they are now, on the shelves of the gh frames. In total there will be 13 shelves, so I would have to get 13 T5 tubes. I intend to get reflective holders for the T5's, which will be about the same size as the shelves I guess. I haven't been able to source them yet.

I don't see how I could use LED's in this set-up without breaking the bank.

If you have better ideas, I'd love to hear them!

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Reflective surface reflect visible light. White surface is better at reflecting the full spectrum.

Mylar, specifically, is good for insulation, but not for maximizing PAR output.

My winter plant shelves are in the basement and I just bought a roll of thick cardboard for about 30 US dollars and used leftover white ceiling paint. Then I used zip ties to attach them to the metal shelves. This is also why ceilings are usually painted white since it distributes light better to the room below.

I don't think it will be a problem if you do not heat the tent. The T5 bulbs will discharge enough heat to keep them warm enough if they are indoors. You'll need ventilation fans to move the air inside the tent though.

I'm personally not a fan of tents, unless I'm setting this up in an unheated garage or shed.

Pagan

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Pagan
  • rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Conny,

if you could line the inside of the tent w a white material ( painted or white chloroplast ) and have the HO T5 florescent tubes like I used to have hanging above each shelf.

These are the same, but you can add as many as you want and use in a straight line.

Just to give an idea of what I am speaking of.

They have a small "pig tail" type cord which allows you to join them together.

Rick

Original Author
    7 years ago

Pagan, thanks for the link, interesting and now I've found similar opinions of Dutch growers online too.

I've found growing tents with white (instead of silver) mylar inner lining, so that should be ok, right?

The building which will house the tent was built with aerated concrete blocks and has no insulation, so temperatures could go down to as much as 5C in winter. A tent is a must for me, I have no room in the house itself.

Rick, thank you for sharing those pictures, very useful information. I thought I'd have to use reflectors with the same measurements as the shelves, but clearly they don't have to cover the entire shelf depth? I can't get Nanotech T5 reflectors here in the Netherlands, but I have found a similar product.

Hm, must admit I'm a bit dazzled by it all. Sometimes I think I should just let them go dormant.... I only have about one month left to set it all up though.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I've got 550 adenium seedlings < 3 months old now that I would very much like to see growing during the winter months....

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Ah, another one preparing for the zombie apocalypse lol

You probably should set up your tent very very early, Conny. I strongly suggest getting that ventilation fan---pick one with big blades that can move a lot of air, if you're putting that many seedlings in a tent. Then put a thermometer in there so you can measure how hot it gets with all the lights and the fan installed, just to get a rough idea of what kind of heating you will need or whether it will be necessary at all. Whatever temp reading you get, it will be hotter still once the plants are in it. Factor in the fact that you will want to exchange air in and out of the tent to avoid stale air which is very pest-friendly.

In my experience, an enclosed plant box with high temperature in winter is a very high maintenance situation (for me, anyway). But preparing ahead of time can head off most of the problems from ever developing (pests and infections, mostly).

Or, there is an even simpler solution. Get a tent big enough for your bed. Your plants will be very happy in your house.

Pagan

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Pagan, well taken note of the air circulation!

Gosh, I wish I could hire someone who could set it all up for me.... The thing I hate about it is that every piece I need is sold here by grow shops mainly... (yes, the Netherlands, we are legally allowed to grow marihuana here as long as it's for personal use...) and I'm a little hesitant dealing with those guys.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rick, a few more questions if you don't mind:

Are your T5's 14W or 28W (they both are 54.9mm)? And what colour do you use: 840 or 865?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Conny, They are listed as High Output T5 fluorescent "Full Spectrum" lights.

24 Watts. 6400 K 2232 Lumens*.

Rick

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Rick, I know that 6400 is colour 865. I'll go with that!

7 years ago

Mine are almost the same. I'm using Sun Blaze T5's 6500 k's. I bloom a lot of plants under those lights but I'll need more of them for adeniums to over winter.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Rick, sorry, another question: are your T5's on a timer or do you switch on and off manually?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

I do have a timer Conny, but I just turn the lights on manually unless I am going out. I prefer to have them on at night while I am home. Prefer to not have on during day and they also get natural sunlight during a good part of the day.

Rick

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Rick! The reason I asked is that the only person I know who has knowledge about electrics and lights said that a timer can't be used on T5's, which sounds rather odd to me.

Excellent idea to have the lights on at night (for a different reason), I hadn't thought about that yet, but our night rate is much lower than our day rate, so that could save me a few pennies.

7 years ago

Conny my T5 two bulb on my fish tank. Has a surge protector on it. I found that the starting of the unit takes a lot of power and sometimes would blow the bulbs.

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Marica 7 high Sierra's Ca 4,000ft
  • Pagan
    7 years ago

Hi Conny. Maybe he has some other kind of timer in mind, although for the life of me I can not imagine what that might be. You can get simple mechanical plug-in timers with several outlets (I use four-outlet ones) or get a single-outlet timer and then plug in a power strip to that ( I have this set-up as well).

Pagan

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Marica and Pagan. I've put my questions to a few colleagues as well, hoping to get everything sorted by the end of next week. I'll be travelling next week, but when I get back it's time for the big move (hopefully the other half will have the building cleared and ready by then).

Original Author
    7 years ago

Variegated seedlings.

This one is the same as posted above. It seems a bit slow at the moment in growing its next leaf:

But hey, there's a second one (also Mr Ko's, different variety) starting to do the same thing:

A few weeks ago I thought this seedling had some sort of deficiency with the yellowing edges, but it seems pretty constant and I guess it's just another type of variegation. It's an arabicum by the way:

A few more with strange colourations:

Totally in love with the colour and leaf pattern of this one:

As well as with the compactness of the DH (although not curling (yet?)):

and the mini mini:

Last but not least, my other-than-adenium seedlings are doing very well too. I'm especially enjoying the development of the Edithcolea Grandis:

7 years ago

These are fantastic, Conny! Congratulations! I'm supposed to have variegated arabicums as well as obesums so I am following your seedlings closely. Mine aren't really showing variegation yet. Was it a little slow to become obvious?

7 years ago

Were these from KO seeds? Such as Super Yellow Leaf for the arabicum?

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you very much Hyn!

The smaller variegated seedlings are Mr Ko's Flame of Love and Ko_ebay65. The seedlings from seed I bought as being variegated (including the Super Yellow Leaf) show no sign of it yet...

The arabicum with the yellow-edged leaves showed it from the cotyledons, so from the word go.

7 years ago

Fascinating, thank you! I thought two of mine were showing variegation but then the paler leaf edges darkened so ... not sure if I have any yet. But I am hopeful it'll show up later as they grow. If not I'll keep trying. ;)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Conny,

That is marvelous to get that many variegated seedlings at one time such as you have. Nice mix. I hope they continue to hold it for you. So great.

Rick

Original Author
    7 years ago

Look at this: one of my 4 month old seedlings is developing side branches on the side branches.... #happy

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Conny, you have an amazing collection there, I didn't realise you had so many seedlings to care for. Let's hope the weather is kind to all of us whose plants have to get through our winters, and everyone else's plants of course! How I envy those who reside in the more tropical climates. I would be growing so much more than I do now!

The variegated Arabicum is stunning, let's hope it continues to show that yelllow edging. It should make a fabulous adult plant.

Notice from the latest two pics that you too suffer from 'brown perlite syndrome', love it or hate it, I still find myself using the perishing stuff. My last bag was over 50% dust that fell through the mesh of my very best kitchen sieve. Which reminds me, is still in the greenhouse :-/ Can't find any that's bigger, it's all so small and dusty....and floaty.

Gill

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Gill. Yes, no less than 700 adenium seedlings at the moment... and all that in just 4,5 months... :-)

I have started to really hate the perlite too. I got a 100L bag months ago, and the dust is not too bad luckily. And the perlite does what it's supposed to do. I hate it though that the stuff goes everywhere when I water the seedlings. I think I'll get growstones (found a source in the Netherlands) for the adult plants when I repot them next spring.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Seedlings still happily growing in the winter tents. I had a lucky escape last weekend when quite a number of seedlings started to look and feel very soft and wrinkley. Turned out I hadn't watered them enough in the week before (too busy at work). A thorough watering two days in a row did the trick, and they're all nice and firm again now. Good confirmation that you really can't allow seedlings to dry out!

The variegated seedlings are still doing well, albeit not growing fast

The original keiki monster seems to have turned variegated as well:

The top leaves of one of the mini DH seem to start looking a bit curly:

The leaves on this seedling are very strange:

And I love the leaves on this one, as if it's trying to look like an adult plant:

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Nice seedlings, Conny. Love the variegation on the first two seedlings.

The one with wavy leaves looks to be a Mini Size type.

What a group of seedlings you have there.

Rick

• Francesco Switzerland ZH, 8a
    7 years ago

They look all very good. Well done Conny! ^^

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked Francesco Switzerland ZH, 8a
  • bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

mighty happy little plants under your culture … they look great

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Conny, regarding the one above with the strange leaves....I had one exactly the same in an earlier seed growing stage, it was an Obesum seedling that would only grow these odd contorted leaves. They were nothing like the curly ones of the DH, which by the way I'm admiring more and more! They were long and puckered as if struck by a virus or insect damaged. The mid veins were kinked and distorted. Each leaf was the same, not just an odd one and didn't even last long on the plant as they yellowed and dropped at an alarming rate when siblings fared much better. Note the word 'had' used above! I gave up on it as it was smaller then the others and I honestly didn't like it's looks at all and it got culled.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for your fellah, so I wish him more luck than mine!

Gill

ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b) thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Gill. Will see. It's growth rate is very very low, but it's not losing any leaves, so no culling yet :-)