Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrys157

Downstairs layout help - incl. kitchen

John Smith
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all. The time has come to provide our builder with the final kitchen plan and downstairs layout.
I've shown 2 designs below that we have come up with.
Option 1 is open plan with small G shape to corner. Small bifolds to garden and dining space linking kitchen and living room. Door to top left will actually be closed off with more units to creates the G.
Option 2 with dividing wall and kitchen on other side. Island facing garden and full width bifolds. Dining space becomes smaller area to top left of pic. About 9x9.
Both have pros and cons, for instance we probably prefer kitchen 2 but are concerned about the dining space being in the corner and by putting that wall up it might spoil the flow/open plan opportunity.
What's everyone's thoughts? Open to a 3rd suggestion also!
Ps. The grey part is out of bounds as being used for Stairs, entrance hall and play room.

Comments (18)

• John Smith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Couple of additional pics to show how we think each one might pan out. Thanks guys!

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    I also like option 2 and think you should talk to an independent kitchen studio. I am sure that a good designer could put all the tall units on the side wall and negate the need for the wall in the middle.
  • PRO
    South Wales Garden Design
    7 years ago

Option 2 does it for me and also the suggestions above sound like a good plan.

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    7 years ago
    Hi John Smith, I prefer the second kitchen idea.

However I would remove the wall and have a straight line of units along this wall, on the opposite wall block up the original doorway and fit a window this would mean you could have a second line of units running along this wall and the sink, dishwasher etc would fit here instead of the island.(I personally would not want to dine in the same area as the sink and washing up).
    Keep the island if possible but as a prep area and dining social space.
  • PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    7 years ago
    Forgot to add with this arrangement you could still have the wide doors along the back.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I like option 2, but i'd have to flip the island round. The people on the stools have their backs to the garden and you get more room with it round the other way, facing the bulk of the kitchen. I like the idea of the wall, but it will make beyond it dark. I presume however, that the area bottom right is the lounge, and , does actually have windows that aren't shown.

Option 1 is good, but needs tweaking as the side door wastes space for the kitchen return and the island isn't in a good position, however, I like the idea that you can't see the ktichen from the lounge area. You could just jiggle that layout a bit better and move the island, ditch the door, have bi-folds right across etc. The bottom photo shows this and i feel it gives the best kitchen layout and most other useable space without seeing all of the kitchen from the lounge area. Presuming that the plumbing needs to be up this end, i'd go for this option over Option 2.

Option 2:- You could extend the kitchen span towards the wall and make the return and the wall smaller.

Without knowing your plumbing situation it's impossible to say what will work and what won't. However, if it were theoretically possible, i'd put the kitchen bottom right with the lounge diner at the top to take advantage of the garden view.

With the kitchen bottom right, of course you actually get a far bigger kitchen area and more storage without compromising the lounge or dining area.

• PRO
    Kitchenpod - Temporary Kitchen Hire (Home use)
    7 years ago

Yes I am closer to number 2. You could have a longer straight run of units and not create the l shape with the wall. You could then have your island facing off against the long run. whatever you decide I am sure you will create a great space to live in.

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    I prefer option 2 too, but would turn the island as in the first drawing man about the house did. I would however eliminate the wall separating the kitchen from the living area.
    Think about how you want to put furniture in your living area. Where is the TV going, where will the sofa go, etc. This may affect your choice too.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Like this
    Contemporary London House · More Info
  • LTS
    7 years ago
    Have a look at Sue Murphy's profile who designed that space...there may be dimensions in the photos. Looks great :)
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Cool! I really like the openness, but would probably want a wall between entry and living, so the sofa has that behind it. Walls take up space, visually and physically, so I don't think your home is too small for a layout like this.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    And you have to realise that the way these photos are taken most probably makes the space seem larger than it is in reality.
  • John Smith
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you again for additional responses.

Thinking something like this. We would want to retain the toy/play room. Also, we have the switchback square stairs so have to have the dining table the other way.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Looks good to me.
  • PRO
    Re:Design Architecture
    7 years ago

I also agree that option 2 is better than option 1 due to option 1 being short on number of units. Option 3 - kitchen bottom right is best although will result is less light to the kitchen depending on plot orientation etc. would possibly be best to skimp on wall units, gives a much cleaner look and will really open the space up further.

• PRO
    Re:Design Architecture
    7 years ago

island views should be facing or perpendicular to the garden - definately not back facing...

• PRO
    Nest Design & Build
    7 years ago

Option 1 : Doesn't offer a lot of storage, sink to close to end panel of the appliance housing to make it practicle, the option of dining at the breakfast bar looks compromised by the hob, also doesn't appear to be much practical worktop to use for preparation, toaster kettle etc. In my opinion not a good design, creates more problems than it solves

Option 2 : Is the better design but I think lose the wall have a straight run with tall units on the garden end and none at the other taking away the bulky end panels. Turn the island 90 degrees and make it longer and deeper.