Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seazr

Need help with furniture selection for dining room

seazr
7 years ago

Can you change from a traditional style in the in house to a softer style and color in the master bedroom? I just purchased a new bed for the master bedroom and it definitely a softer style. I am looking for a new dining table and buffet and/or china. I am considering a sideboard/hutch from restoration hardware and it is very angular but I may pair it with a round dining table. (I can only go up to 68" wide so my choices are limited.) I just don't want the bedroom to feel like it belongs in a different house . . . I'm including a pic of my living room which is open to the dining room (it will eventually look better--I'm just moving in.)

Comments (2)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

The bed is very luxurious and majestic.

Which means you'll have to carry that note..just a note, not necessarily the whole song so to say-into the other spaces.

I like your selections, I like rounded paired with angular.

Maybe you can bring this luxurious note in the chairs..say, velvet upholstery? Will also look cool since the furniture is just slightly rustic.

Great rug will help too. Or window treatments that are silk..for example.

At the same time, bring in simpler elements into your bedroom. Maybe art that is framed in less ornate frames. Maybe lights that are transitional in their character...like a lantern, or a ball-shaped light. Maybe curtains that are linen..but good quality linen.

If you continue to keep to this neutral scheme-it will also help, since common color is the part of the story. You don't need to repeat the colors precisely. But creams, beiges, tans, whites,greige-variate them a bit, and you'll get an "uptown" feel, yet still not pretentious.

But you can also take some existing accents like blue, into your master.

I think it might be very interesting, putting it all together.

PS the bed is very traditional actually..traditional is a huge umbrella-word for many, many styles.

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

I love all the elements! Gorgeous bed!!! Do you have large French doors that open up directly from your bedroom to your dining room? I'm guessing no. Not everyone will agree with what I am going to suggest and even did in my own house. My master bedroom and en-suite pretty much look like they could belong in another home :o That's ok with us! It's a private area and there is an alcove between it and the adjoining room. It's a totally different and lighter palette. The ensuite color palette was inspired by the sea and beaches of our Caribbean cruises. The bedroom is fairly calm and nondescript but the use of cool sea tone blue-greens wash into the bedroom...it's the least decorated room in the house but I like it decluttered and calm. The rest of the house is more dramatic, rich colors, warm palette of browns, wheat, burnished pumpkin, gold, black, green, plum, bronze (and wildlife in the form of hunting trophies). Lots of texture. It's our choice. It's our house :) And when I'm ready I can leave all that (that I love btw) and retreat to my sea toned, sparse, spa like oasis :) What I'm trying to say is...it's ok for your master suite to be different if that's what you want (imo) :) L.O.V.E that bed!