Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_r62

Is this sink reveal correct?

kim R
7 years ago

I am just getting to look at the sink now and this reveal seems poorly done to me. It varies in size from a 1/2" down to about a 1/4" at the corners. It doesn't seem to match the shape of the sink perfectly either. My main concern is that the stainless steel revealed is not the polished part like the inside of the sink- it doesn't seem as smooth-so is it going to be easier for stuff to "grow" on it!? So disappointed!

Comments (19)

• acm
    7 years ago

apparently undermount sinks can be mounted flush with counter, or with the stone overhanging, or with a small reveal. this is not something everybody knows to discuss in advance. I would also be disappointed to have a ledge like that for crap to collect on, and the fact that the profiles don't match almost makes it feel like they didn't actually template the sink. I'd talk to the fabricator about it and see what they say, but you might have to be prepared to live with it or pay for a new section of counter, unless there was a designer involved that should have known to get your preferences specified (in which case, talk to that person first).

so sorry.

• kim R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did expect a reveal. We had discussed it, I was told it would be at most a 1/4 inch, that it would be where the stainless changed-so I assumed where the polished edge ended. This is a 1/2" or more in places. It isn't even. They had even taken the sink with them to be sure to get it right.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Most manufacturers supply templates for the sink cut-out. Did they use this and if so is it accurate to the template. There are some sinks that have accessories such as drainage boards that suspend on the exposed sink lip, maybe this is the case. However, since the stainless finish is different I doubt that this was the case.

Graham

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Kim R - They obviously did not do what they said they would do and apparently taking the sink did not help. You have the right to demand that this be corrected.

Graham

• acm
    7 years ago

I'm sorry you're disappointed, and I agree it's a little odd that the shapes seem a mismatch, but I don't think it's a huge deal in the larger scheme of things, and once it's not the newest thing in the room, you'll stop noticing. (I find that about almost every step in a renovation.)

The counters and sink both seem really pretty. Give yourself a few days to get over your shock and see how you feel about it.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

Usually there is no reveal at all, this is why it's called undermount sink. Everything should be hidden so nothing is caught on that ledge and it will be a pain in the neck to clean it especially when silicon will start to get discolored it will need to be maintained constantly to keep clean appearance.

Also make sure the undermount sink clips been installed to hold the sink in place...

Good luck

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

There are two schools of thought concerning the overhang as it relates to cleaning. If the sink is slightly exposed then any grime can be seen and easily cleaned. If the counter top extends over the sink edge then dirt and mold can accumulate underneath and is more difficult to notice and clean. Most of the manufacturer templates that I have seen have the sink edge slightly exposed.

Graham

• PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    7 years ago

It is not supposed to show the "borders" unless specified in writting by the customer.

Seem some examples of our sink cut outs:

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Here is a link To Franke. This pic shows the lip exposed.

http://www.franke.com/kitchensystems/ca/en/home/products_information/dxf_cutout_files.html

Graham

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

The sink opening was cut by hand, not on a CNC machine from a DXF file provided by the sink's manufacturer. I've had variations on reveals that I've done by hand, but I'm doing it in a kitchen, not a shop.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

My bad, it depends on the template cutout detail provided by the manufacturer. The sink my Granite fabricator always uses there is no reveal.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

This discussion is a great example of how things can unintentionally go wrong. When designing, these little details are often important and products are chosen based upon their ability to provide this detail. In this case, unless otherwise specified the sink cut-out should be in accordance with the manufactures template. I understand that the fabricator may have their own method and also good reason for this. However, they should inform the homeowner or the designer for approval to deviate. Personally I do not understand why one would wish to deviate without approval; there is no better way to protect ones self from claims than to be able to prove that they did everything in accordance to the manufacturers instructions.

Graham

• wacokid
    7 years ago

If the sink top that is revealed is not polished than maybe it should not have had a reveal? Did you not notice that when you had the sink? Just asking.....

• kim R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I never had the sink to look at. We are using a kitchen designer/contractor. They had put the sink into place for the templating, but it was still covered in protective material. Then, when the counters came- the contractor's carpenter signed off on them. They have had the area covered -because I think the entire project was done backwards--so-I am not seeing the sink until now, after the backsplash and everything has been installed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

kim R:

The best solution is to install a sink large enough to create a negative reveal. Hour and a half at the most, plumbing included.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

I am fairly certain I can predict how this will play out. The counter top fabricator is going to say "that's how we always do it", "we were not instructed otherwise" and "we can work-up a cost if you want this changed". Your best chance to counter this is to obtain the manufactures template for this sink to see if the cut-out is correct.

Graham

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

You need to have the kitchen design contractor install a slightly larger undermount at their expense. The rectangular ones are almost always flush. I'd consider going less rounded.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

There are always ways to correct this. The issue is who's going to pay for the fix. New sink purchase (if you can find one), disconnect plumbing, remove old sink, mount new sink and redo plumbing. That's likely $1,000 or more.

Graham