Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannahptl

does Homeowner or Contractor pay for general materials?

mathnmusic
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

He's bringing us receipts for things like hardiboard, thin set, mortar, liquid nails, tile spacers, pretty much every little thing. Is this on him as part of labor cost, or on us as a finishing material?

Here's the background: We've been remodeling our house under a contract with the General Contractor that states "contractor is willing to furnish to you all material and labor required for the Scope of Work described below", which is followed by 2 sections of structural work and finishing work. The payments are split up this way (for example):

Structural Work (materials and labor included in price)

Demolition $9,000

Framing $20,000

Rough Plumbing $8,000

Finishing Work (allowances and labor separate as below)

Hardwood flooring - allowance $7,000; labor $7,500

Tile flooring - allowance $2,000; labor $2,300

The allowances are on us, we choose and buy the finishing materials, he provides the labor. Is doesn't specify who pays for general materials like nails, thin set, grout, etc. We assumed since these aren't finishing materials, that they are covered under the labor. Are we wrong, is that not how it's done?

Comments (11)

• User
    7 years ago

You'll have to ask the contractor and clarify it in the contract.

We can't read his/her mind.

• lharpie
    7 years ago

I would have assumed those would be paid for by him. Those types of materials were specified with cost in my contract though.

• PRO
    Primary Colors Design
    7 years ago

I see now the materials are supplied for structural work such as framing. Flooring is considered finishing and that must mean you pay as part of that 2K allowence.

• PRO
    Primary Colors Design
    7 years ago

When you are supplying materials, it is best to know that up front and buy the materials your self so you do not get nickel & dimed to death by installers.

• roof35
    7 years ago

The contract clearly states the scope of agreement. The thin set, spacers etc are part of the finish allowances. These are in no way connected to the labor agreement.

Im surprised the agreement doesn't include a cost above the labor charge to pick up all needed finish materials. They're donating their time. Paying someone to do this out of pocket, they won't be in business long.

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I shop for, pay, and pick up all finish materials. Unless I can't fit it in the car, then I pay for delivery.

The contractor hires subs to do the trades. I assume they go shopping at Home Depot, etc to get their supplies, and they pick up those supplies on their own. I haven't gone shopping with them to get those supplies.

The electrician did ask me to buy gang boxes breakers, outlets and their covers, 4 way switches, etc. They considered this part of finish materials, seems a stretch to me...

• roof35
    7 years ago

Since you have the responsibility to pick up everything, there's no reason why they're handing you receipts. They should hand you a list of finish materials needed. Count your blessings they're doing you a favor. Still favors doesnt pay the help or overhead. Nice people, just not business wise.

• Stan B
    7 years ago

You have an allowance and labor. Grout, thinset, and glue are not labor so that's part of the allowance. Where I live grout, thinset, and glue are always called out separately in a flooring quote.

• beachem
    7 years ago

I only pay general materials when it's time, labor and materials contract and even then most of basics like nails, quickset is provided.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

how interesting

our contract specifies all the "rough materials" are on the GC

we supply all the finishes, no allowances on these..no end to beautiful lol

I'd go crazy if I had to buy all the stuff I have no idea about..it's hard enough without nails. My husband tends to become really interested in details..if we had to buy nails too I suspect I'd be hospitalized already. And under a strong sedative or something.

Respect to you, really.

The glue for the flooring was on us though. Flooring quote was a bit different.

I must say that as the project got longer our GC changed his mind about couple things.. like baseboards..,in the initial contract they were counted as "rough", but then he decided that they are finishes. We showed him the contract. He was upset, but respected the initial contract.