Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrinabarnhart

Would love to convert this open area (plant shelf that's 105 inches long and 41 inches high) into covered stor

Sabrina Barnhart
11 years ago
Custom curtains and rods or sliding doors? Thoughts anyone? Any ideas are appreciated :)

Comments (14)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Whatever you place in that space to hide the area is going to look like you placed doors, shutters, etc. in a space that is on the second story with no access and will make no sense visually. If you are needing storage, perhaps we can help you find an area you had not thought about. Photos (several) are always helpful. If you wish to decorate it, then I'm certain Houzzers will have great suggestions.
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    How about adding shelves kind of like a book case you can go as fancy as your budget will allow and then you can put nice boxes baskets(to store your stuff) and accessories I hope it's not a stupid idea
  • Dan Daugherty
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I Have the same plant shelf. Very hard to get up to unless you have a ladder nearby. I can respect the idea of storage, but it would be tough. I put plastic plants and vines on mine and when I get one of those Round Tuits, i will be back lighting it. If you need a Pic. Let me know.

Great place for Cool artwork and antiques
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    I have seen these high display areas turned into storage successfully. They key is to have it professionally done and detailed out so that it looks built in. If your budget allows, it would look good to trim out the wall below so that it looks like one piece. I would match your white trim and the traditional style of your door and use raised panel swing doors on the storage area. You could also leave a central, open display niche (maybe some rounded molding at the top) in order to break it up and add some interest. Obviously this isn't going to be storage you have to get to regularly, but it would provide a lot of off-season/long term storage - plus it will no longer be a big dust collector!
  • Dan Daugherty
    11 years ago
    Great Idea Kathleen...Antiques hiding Seasonal Items...Cool!!
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    11 years ago
    Here are some examples - see how the trim is brought right down to the door height? That makes it look very cohesive, instead of cabinets up in the air.
    Greenwich House Addition · More Info

North Berkeley Hills Bathroom Remodel · More Info

A library ladder would look great and would be practical if you could swing it.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    Dry wall it up and paint. Anything else will look contrived and be useless, difficult to access storage. Contractors in the '80's thought they were being so clever and now home owners feel obliged to decorate these silly spaces.
  • KG
    11 years ago
    HAve a professional sheetrock it over to just be a wall and spend the extra money on a new closet (or two!) organizer or install hanging rafter shelves in your garage...
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    I'm w Kathryn. Trim and swing doors. Always nice to find a little extra space, isn't it?
  • Anum Ismail
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    sabrinabarnhart: question is what kind of storage? clothes? what exactly?

random crazy idea: how abt sandblasted sliding glass... with lights behind to cast an interesting shade of colour over room at night..
  • Sharon Cameron
    11 years ago
    Loving the idea of a library ladder and shelves.
  • PRO
    Signature Designs Kitchen | Bath | Interiors
    11 years ago
    Sliding Doors if you approach it with a unique and detailed look it will really showcase this area. I would use white painted over sized single panel recessed doors split into a three door system. It will look finished and unique for your space.

Signature Designs by Bonnie Bagley Catlin
  • Sabrina Barnhart
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    These are all great ideas, everyone and I thank you very much for contributing! We're in the process of remodeling a 13 years old townhouse and the master bedroom is large by townhouse standards. The plant shelf previously held various vases but they never fit the scale of the space correctly. We were thinking of using the space to hold our luggage and other boxes that we dont need frequent access to. Our contractor is going to present some ideas for trimming out that space so it doesnt look like an "after-thought". Dan Daughtery - I love the idea of lighting the space so I would love to see a photo of how you have dressed your plant shelf and Kathryn Petlier - thank you for the pictures! I will be showing them to our contractor! Much appreciated :)