Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Please critique my pendant placement over island

Pipdog
7 years ago

We have a 90" wide island and two 10" globe/glass pendants. We've mocked it up using 10" foam balls. The blue tape denotes the island. We have spaced the pendants 15" (center of pendant) from each edge of the island. They are 60" apart. They will be hung a little higher than indicated.

Any thoughts on this spacing? Wondering if they are a little too close to the edge of the island and if I should move them in an inch or two.

dot on floor indicates center of pendant

Comments (15)

• lisaam
    7 years ago

Im thinking yes, move them a bit closer together. What if you divide the 90" into thirds and hang each in the center of the 2 exterior thirds?

Pipdog thanked lisaam
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Pipdog thanked smm5525
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

According to above Move them over to 15" from center but your island isn't short. I'd probably go a little more than 15" from center.

Pipdog thanked smm5525
  • Pipdog
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks. lisaam, that's actually the configuration we have them in. We divided the 90" island into thirds (30" each) and then hung in the middle of the two outer thirds (15" from end of island). Do you envision maybe just moving them in an inch each? It is just slightly off to my eye.

• nhbaskets
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How about 90" / 2 = 45" / 2 = 22.5" so 22.5" from each edge. That would put them 25" apart, edge to edge.

ETA: My math was wrong. If centered at 22.5" from each end, they would be 36" apart, edge to edge.

Pipdog thanked nhbaskets
  • Briana Johnson
    7 years ago

I think they look too close to the ends. Maybe move each one toward the middle by about 6" each? Totaling a foot less distance in between. I would keep moving them inward until it looked right to me. They don't seem like a pair right now, too far apart.

Pipdog thanked Briana Johnson
  • Pipdog
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the input, we moved them in about 2 inches each.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Oh definitely need to be moved in more .

Pipdog thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • oldbat2be
    7 years ago

My two cents - the person(s) sitting at the island, reading/working, will appreciate the light being closer (I know, you just moved them- but I've had DH move lights (once installed) and even I can patch the holes - overall, not a big deal if the wiring and joists allow. How high will these be from the surface of the island and what kind of bulbs will you have, in each? Have you figured out required lumens? With our island chandelier, the light is JUST adequate so it's something I would do differently next time around. I refuse to use the Crees we put in everywhere - the kitchen becomes an operating room. And where are the pictures of these pendants?!! I am excited to find out:)

Pipdog thanked oldbat2be
  • chispa
    7 years ago

Agree with moving the lights a bit further in, but it is a little hard to judge without the actual mass of the counter and all the visual distraction of the open framing.

I noticed the huge chain ... your contractor isn't playing around with the security of his tools/stuff ... he must have learnt the hard way!

Pipdog thanked chispa
  • Pipdog
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

thanks. The electrician hasn't come yet, so we can still move them around. I'm going to go over today and move the mock ups around. I'm leaning towards 18" from the edges of the island. I'd rather them be farther apart as I want to avoid the pendants blocking the hood, like this:

We're putting a shelf above our range, and don't want the pendants to block the view of that. We want them to hang in front of the cabinets framing the hood so that you have an unobstructed view of the shelf/feature wall over the range.

These might be a tad far apart, but this is along the lines of the placement we had in mind:

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oldbat2be, we are still deciding between two pendant options...we're ordering them both to try them on for size. I'll post the options soon!

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

I think about this occasionally - for whom am I designing, and at what focal distance? I am over the top in love with my backsplash from close-up but struggle to make it look 'perfect' from a distance.

The pendants in your first picture from 9 hours ago are way too close together IMO, regardless of whether they block the hood. Attention grabbers, ok if the focus should be on them, and/or if you want to distract from something else. Pictures two and three blend in much more - is three from LBL? Now that I review your original post, I think placement, plus or minus a few inches, will be fine. PM me if I can help with any photoshopping. I was going to show some LBL pendants but really like the idea of globe pendants in your space, as you show.

Pipdog thanked oldbat2be
  • Pipdog
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you oldbat2be! I can't recall where I found that second inspiration photo -- they do look like LBL though. This is the top contender for our pendants. We have gone back and forth with so many options my eyes are starting to cross, but we keep coming back to the simplicity of this one. I like that it is transparent and just blends in. We have the Zanadoo chandelier about 15-18 feet away in the dining room and want that to be the statement piece so need the pendants need to be relatively understated so they don't compete.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations