Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenian8000

HELP! my Echeveria secunda's bottom leaves are yellow and soft

HELP NEEDED:
Hi! Its my first time to grow succulents. I got new ones last wednesday and repotted them. I did not water them right away because I've read that newly repotted succs can get overwatered and they should adapt to the new pot first. I left them for 4 days, and when I came back tonight, my Echeveria Secunda's leaves were yellow and soft, while A LOT of my Sedum Rubrotinctum's leaves have fallen off.

Is this normal for newly repotted succulents? the other ones in my pot seem to be doing fine.

Please help! THANK YOU!
PHOTOS HERE:

before:

Comments (16)

• garrett222
    7 years ago

1. Get rid of ALL the moss, succulents hate that because it retains water and prevents ventilation.

2. Pull off all yellow leaves of the echeveria.

They look overwatered. I would recommend replanting them into a better soil, one with at least 50% perlite.

Also, that looks like a sedum pachyphyllum.

Lenian (Manila, Philippines) thanked garrett222
  • aaypua
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Is that moss on your pot? If so, you should remove it since it retains moisture. Also, what type of soil do you use? It should be a gritty well-draining mix. Mine are in 50/50 pumice and potting mix and they do just fine. Give it lots of sun too :)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Hi...Don't know what the white stuff is but I would remove it along with the moss. May look nice, but won't do plants any good, if you want to top dress use small garages/grit. Has the container got at least one drainage hole?

Gill

• Celeste
    7 years ago

How are you watering the plants (are you misting, do you let water spray all over them, do you just get the soil damp)?

What kind of container are the plants in (plastic, clay, glazed ceramic)?

Is there a drainage hole at the bottom?

• Lenian (Manila, Philippines)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

hi everyone! thank you for your replies!

i got rid of all the moss and isolated the two plants that had problems. :)

the sedum is looking good, since new bulbs are sprouting from the ones that fell off.

i am using a succulent potting mix i got from a plant shop. i guess i made a mistake because i did not remove all of the soil residue that stuck to the roots of the succulents before i repotted them, resulting to irregular soil and uneven moisture.

the white stuff are very small pebbles. the cactus and the other ones mostly covered by the white stuff are doing well :) should i still remove it?

the container is a plastic pot with four good drain holes :)

the echeveria seemed to become dehydrated when i isolated it for a while when it was overwatered. i removed all rotten leaves and stuff and put it in a new pot without soil so there will be no moisture. i guess i overdid it because after a day, i noticed that some leaves have become dehydrated, so i transferred it to the pot with moist succulent mix. i'll leave an update soon. :)

again, thank you!

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

While initially it may look lovely, you've combined plants which have different care needs in terms of light & watering, so that makes them incompatible to share the same community pot. Haworthias & Sans (snake plants) have different care needs & won't do well together.

Others have addressed the moss & the white stuff, changing to better mix is quite important.

Sorry for all the questions & we don't mean to sound discouraging. But growing these plants has more to it than one might think.

You'd benefit from learning what each plant is & learning to grow them separately. Once you learn their individual needs, you'll be more likely to have better results when combining them into a group pot (which many of us avoid for exactly these reasons).

Lenian (Manila, Philippines) thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you for your replies! i really appreciate it! :)

i already purchased a new stash of potting mix with a more consistent mixture that is fast draining. i also got chicken grit too! :)

thank you or the tip on the sans and hawthoria, i'm gonna move the hawthoria in a new dish. :)

as a first time grower, i must admit that i did not do thorough research of plant families before purchasing. when i got the plants, i first asked the shop attendants a couple of questions: if the ones i got would grow well together in a same pot, if they need direct sun because i'm planning to grow them in my room, how often they need watering, and if it was okay to use the existing soil in the nursery bag, etc.

they all said yes, these plans will be okay together, you can use the exiting soil, etc, and i guess they only cared about their sales :( they did not mention specific needs of the specific plants, and other crucial stuff i needed to know. THE MOSS WAS THE WORST. the lady sold it to me even if i asked them if it would be okay to include it in the pot -_________-

i dont want to put all of the blame on them because the plants are also my responsibility hahahaha. i really appreciate all of your help! i am not discouraged whatsoever, and i'd really like to learn more. do you have any blogs or sites i can look into for succulent plant families? so i would know what families have similar needs etc.

again, thanks all of you! i hope you wont get tired of me! :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

lenian

They did give you some wrong info. Can't blame first time grower being satisfied with advice given in a store. Sadly, even some garden centers employees do not know much...Anyway, lesson learned :)

You can search this forum for a plant, and will find many discussions about caring for it, problems ppl encountered, failures and successes. You'll find lots of very good info here, no one is trying to sell plants but learn how to grow them better.

You can google plants genera name & look for photos similar to your plant & give you ID - sometimes you'll be able to find it, sometimes not. Plant, not grown in proper conditions, may look different than photo of the same plant growing well, so that could be confusing.

Even before repotting, maybe you should read few posts here in general. You will find that drainage is most important for succulents: there are always q & a on that topic. You can do quite well using mix of just soil & perlite in 50/50 ratio, or you can go 'all the way' and learn about gritty mix made of mostly inorganic ingredients (search using bar on top).

If interested, here is one of the excellent posts explaining about 'soils' - it is long, but you'll find answers to many questions about how and why proper potting mix is important - click here -

I would recommend adding your general location and/or growing zone next to your name - growing in warm climate could be somehow different than in cold one. Take photos, ask questions - that's best way to learn.

• Celeste
    7 years ago

Yeah I've found that big plastic containers retain too much moisture for my plants, which is unfortunate. You could try an unglazed clay pot if you want to do an arrangement, I think they work way better.

Employees can be dodgy about how much sun the plants need, because plants like your echeveria need SO much sun to look as nice and compact as yours does now. It def needs a south-facing window, or to go outside when possible. The sedum will probably need just as much light to keep the purple tips.

The cool thing is that you got some really nice haworthias that can be grown together, and would probably do well in your bedroom. They tolerate less light much better than the others, just move them by a window occasionally.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Celeste

Most of the time it is more water retaining soil/potting mix that is a problem, not plastic containers. Obviously, unless they don't have any drainage holes. In hot & humid climate, they could hold more moisture. I do not know where in the world you live, but in typical temperate climate it is not a problem. Even glass containers, which we all discourage from using, could be used if the drainage is good (there are may additional reasons that they are not that good to use). One can drill holes into just about any material. I have over 200 pots with succulents, and hardly any are in terracotta pots. This is not because they are not good, but they are heavier, at least for me. They are definitely better looking than typical plastic pot :) and many ppl prefer using them, and that's great. Richard (oldstumpy), member of this forum, has all of his succulents in terracotta - his sunroom looks beautiful and plants grow extremely well. Here is just one of threads with photos: -Richard's sunroom-. OTOH, Kevin (ewwmayo) uses many (not all) plastic pots and has exceptional results. These are just examples...

Once the potting mix has good drainage and container has drainage holes, the choice of container matters less.

• Celeste
    7 years ago

I use a great soil mix and I have still had issues using larger plastic and glazed ceramic pots for arrangements, despite the fact that they had drainage holes. I have a few pots that are the exact same same size, style, and soil mix, only different material, and the clay pots simply dry out faster.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't use certain types at all, because I do keep mine in a wide array of small containers (plastic/metal/porcelain/etc). You can certainly add grit to less accommodating pots, or choose plants that are less water sensitive. And you're right, this may not be an issue in every climate, but I live in the Midwest and it has been for mine. Especially for arrangement-sized planters.

All I'm saying is, for a beginner especially, it might be safer to go with a more porous material while they're learning how to take care of their plants. Once you get a feel for what certain plants tolerate, then you can experiment with them more without losing them to rot.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Celeste

Would you mind sharing what are the components of your mix and/or posting a photo?

I don't question quality (and the better looks) of terracotta/clay pots at all.

I would be using gritty mix if all of my pots were terracotta - as mentioned, few are right now - and it is exactly same mix as in plastic pots.

Terracotta:

Glazed:

Some have pea gravel for top-dressing, but they are all in exactly same mix - grit, perlite and some turface.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

Gosh Rina,

You always post such beautiful plants & they seem impeccably neat & tidy .

That Sans cylindrica is REALLY nice, if any of it ever might like to come to NYC ..... I like its ridges, don't recall seeing that on a cylindrica before, cool.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Karen

Thank you. This is cylindrica about 3mo after purchased:

Still in original peaty soil. It really took off after repotting. I already separated couple of shoots. NP, when it gets warmer, they can find their way to NYC - but you have to remind me :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

@ Rina
    lovely plants!! :)

Hi again guys! I live in the Philippines. Manila is usually hot, with an average temperature of 30°C (85°F). I have photos of my room below and the current state of my plant dishes :)

Dish A:
    - i removed the majority of the small microscopic pebbles (i still need more of the new bigger ones, ran out) and replaced it with this dressing, (is this chicken grit???)

- i also removed the zebra plant and placed it on a different dish. is this group okay? :)

- i watered this dish for the first time after 2 weeks since i repotted the plants. i only spritzed them last week when i posted this thread. for watering, i followed the tips here: http://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/how-to-water-succulent-plants/3/

- A lot of the Sedum's leaves have fallen off. however, i noticed these small buds. Is it growing back or is it dying? i don't know

Dish B:

This larger dish is still a work in progress. I left a small portion of the pot for propagating since i don't have any extra pots yet. I placed the zebra plant here and got a new Echeveria. i made sure that the leaves don't touch the soil.

will this group be okay? will the plant varieties live well together? :)

this is a close-up photo of the potting mix i am using. will this do?

how about the leaves i'm planning to propagate? will the shriveled ones die?
    that baby cactus has roots btw :)

i spritzed these babies before i left for the weekend.

This is a photo of my window. My room window leads out to our laundry area, which has a bunch of windows that leads outdoors, in front of our neighbor's roof hahaha my room is in the second floor :)

it gets stifling hot inside my room during daytime, especially noon. and i get lots of indirect sunlight. will this be okay for my plants? i'm usually out for work during the daytime, i don't want to leave them in the laundry area because sometimes when it rains, water gets in from the windows and i'm afraid they would get soaked and i'd have to deal with overwatered succs again. we're actually having rainshowers this week, but still lots of sun.

i left them like this, and i wont be back after 2 days. i hope they will be okay!

Thanks again everyone! :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!