Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windymess

Making my (2017) list, checking it twice....

Hoping none of these are naughty, just nice!

Center of Attention

Earth Angel

First Frost

Fluted Fountain

Francee

Gentle Giant

Golden Tiara

Great Escape

Hudson Bay

Hush Puppie

Irish Luck

Journey’s End

Love Pat

Luna Moth

Minuteman

montana Aureomarginata

One Last Dance

Sun Power

Sweet Susan

Teaspoon

Tidewater

Whirlwind

Comments (20)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oops... I forgot:

Stained Glass

Geisha

• stephanie_h12
    7 years ago

Nice list :)

I have Sun Power, Francee, and Stained Glass. They've all done well but out of the three Francee is the most vigorous grower. She has really grown and is just a good doer for the whole season.

I bought several of your list this past year but I don't know if they'll make it through the winter.

Earth Angel

First Frost

montana Aureomarginata

I've seen some gorgeous Great Escape's and Luna Moth's on this forum so it will be nice to see yours mature.

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked stephanie_h12
  • beverlymnz4
    7 years ago

Great Escape, left, with cousins "May" and "June" - a slower grower with a slightly different habit.

I also have Earth Angel, Francee, Hudson Bay, Journey's End, Stained Glass and Golden Tiara. Although Golden Tiara may not make the cut this year. For me, the foliage declines after flowering in July. I have so little room that I may have to move this one out soon. The others, Earth Angel, Francee, Hudson Bay, Journey's End and Stained Glass are favorites of mine.

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked beverlymnz4
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Stephanie - I have m.A. on the list because all the pictures are sooo beautiful and it gets raves - but I haven't figured out where I'll put it. I just know I really want that hosta!

Beverly - those three look really pretty together... May is being added to my dream list - love that glowing color.

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

Francee, First Frost and Minuteman are some of my oldest hosta and I like them very much. Never had problems with them. I bought Montana aureomarginata, Sun Power and Irish Luck this year due to a lot of very nice pictures I've seen on this forum.I got them late in the year, so I will see what happens in spring. Golden Tiara is also long in my garden, a good grower and often divided.

In the shopping card of my favourite dealer for next year:

War Paint

Fleet Week

On Stage

Queen of the Seas

Ice Follies

Paul's Glory

and some others...:-)

Francee left and Fortunei Aureomarginata right, also a very nice hosta:-)

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked Karin Black Cat
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Beautiful, Karin. Ferns, like you have, are also on my list for this year. And you mention On Stage - I hope to find that one, one day.

• Karin Black Cat
    7 years ago

I have a lot of ferns meanwhile, they grow like weed in my garden. I love the combination with hosta. My next try will be Rodgersia, my dealer says they also look nice with hosta. But I also liked the lavender flowers with Francee in my picture above.

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked Karin Black Cat
  • imagooch zone 6b/7a Chatham ON
    7 years ago

Karin. I hVe mA and it is reLly a great plant. Be aware that if it gets a lot of hot afternoon sun that the edges will whiten somewhat. My on stage is the last one to emerge in the ring, as if it is waiting for a cue! Paul's glory is a super plant and so is queen of the Seas. good luck,

l

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked imagooch zone 6b/7a Chatham ON
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good info, Imagooch....

Karin, I also like those lavender flowers--in fact I'm a real sucker for purple/lavender in the garden!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

if i recall properly.. center of attention is extremely fussy .... aka naughty ...

if you have abiqua drinking gourd.. you dont need love pat .... one or the other.. not both ... unless you are just a name collector ...

good luck holding you purchases to just this list.. lol

ken

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    7 years ago

Center of Attention = giant piece of carp. Watch it grow backwards if you want.

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    7 years ago

thank God i didnt kill that brain cell .. lol

ken

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Tidewater is a handsome plant, it's growing very slowly.

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked zkathy z7a NC
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, it sounds like Center of Attention really isn't worth my attention. So there are plenty of others on my extended list (Ken - yes, its probably a fantasy to think I'll limit myself to that list!!!).

I don't have ADG, Ken. Do you recommend it over Love Pat?

Kathy - I haven't seen Tidewater in person, only in pictures... but those pictures!!!!

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Tidewater. May 8. I don't think it got any bigger all year.

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

I don't have ADG, Ken. Do you recommend it over Love Pat?

==>> look alikes.. one or the other ... ken

windymess z6a KC, Ks thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • windymess z6a KC, Ks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awesome!

Kathy - even if it's growing slowly, it's very pretty!

Musky - you proved my theory that Sun Power and Journey's End will look good together... and your own hosta is beautiful and large as well. Is it related to Journey's End?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago

Magnificent specimens beautifully grown, Musky! Wow factor.

• gardenweed_z6a
    7 years ago

A few years back a hosta grower in Illinois proposed a swap--her hostas for my daylillies, both of our own choosing. After posting a few years on GW, she sent me 'Queen of the Seas' (I'm an avid windjammer sailor), 'Touch of Class' (I'm guessing because I can spell and she's not so great at it), and a few others that she selected based on my GW posts over the years, I reciprocated by sending her "personality-specific" daylilies from the garden bed my brother planted 20+ years ago. Hosta lovers are lifetime devotees. What's not to love?

windymess - I also have 'Minuteman' on your list (above) as well as Revolution, Patriot, Liberty, Independence and the others named for the anniversary of the American Revolution. All are consistently top performers in my southern New England garden beds. My soil is slightly acidic sandy loam, they're planted in partial shade and unless climate change delivers a nasty surprise or two, we receive sufficient rainfall and/or snow each year to sustain them.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida