Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_martin54

Refinishing Maple Hardwood

Jessica Martin
7 years ago

Hi all,
We are investing in refinishing our hardwood floors from 1915 and also patching in new floors in a couple rooms. All of the flooring guys have said that they are either birch or maple, so we went with caramelized maple for the new floors being patched in. My problem is the stain/finish. I have read everywhere that maple floors will not look good with oil-based poly because of how yellow they will appear, but we have many dogs and also foster through a rescue, so we really need the hardwearing finish. Unfortunately, I've also read that maple doesn't take stain well, and I really prefer the look of lighter, natural floors. Is there a stain that I can use that will maintain the floors as light as possible but will not appear very yellow after a coat of oil based poly? Should I just go for it and deal with the yellow floors? Should I try to stain them darker so that the oil poly won't appear so yellow? Any opinions here? All work is being done by a professional floor repair guy, so none of it will be DIY.

Comments (5)