Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgrindrod

Staging the master bedroom for sale process

rgrindrod
7 years ago
Staging my master bedroom to list my home. The rug and bed are staying. I am wondering what end tables and color scheme for bedding/pillows I should go with. I have 2 other wooden bureaus in the bed frame color in the room so I think matching side tables to the bed would be too much of that wood color. Thanks!

Comments (42)

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Make the bed. A rug with some color, pattern, and life, would be much better than the too plain badly positioned one. That's it. No need to do anything else at this point.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Instead of buying tables, cover them with round table cloths. The lamps look nice. You might want to consider adding drapes. White, sheer, cheap from WalMart or BBB. You need some kind of dust ruffle to hide the box springs.

• Kicksychick
    7 years ago

Reposition the rug so it sits a little more under the bed. Cover the black boxspring with a white sheet. Add a colorful throw to the end of the bed. Add a small potted flowering plant to the night stand. Open the blinds for any showings to let the light in. Don't buy more furniture at this point.

• rgrindrod
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. Great thought for white round cloth on side tables. I will try it and make my bed of course with all white plus a throw with color and repost! Funny, I had a few people tell me to swap my pattern rug out with a plain rug to get a more serene, calm bedroom space. I had this rug in there before:

• jdgail
    7 years ago

Agree with Barbara. No cover on table...Compliment bedside table color with a duvet set.. Use shams and fold duvet at end of bed. Leave rug.

• Jennifer Dube
    7 years ago

If the hardwood flooring is in good shape, you could just remove the rug to show it off.

I might remove the nightstands altogether. What potential buyers will care about is: "what size bed will fit in this room?" That looks like a queen, which is good. But the nightstands make it seem like a queen just barely fits. So remove them, then maybe put a big piece of art above the bed to draw the eye up. Do you have any artwork that would work there? (I wouldn't necessarily buy anything new).

Could put the lamp on the dresser instead.

I might get a king-sized comforter/bedspread as it will cover and hide the box spring.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Bed area looks crowded.

Remove one end table and both lamps. Buy two plug in wall sconces (you can take them with you).

Move the rug our from under the bed.

Do a coverlet which will cover the box spring, but not the frame of the bed.

Add pillows…I like at least two Euro sham sized.

Master Bedroom Office Suite · More Info

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

A staged master bedroom should make the buyer say "look, how lovely". There's a fine line between calm and boring. Pick out some new bedding with one or two accent colors, like JudyG shows above. A master bedroom should show room for two nightstands because that is what people really use.

The nightstands can be covered with a round top and table cloth if you do not have any brown wood ones to trade for these. You can buy small, classic ones for less than $100 each at Target.

• blueee
    7 years ago
    If you want round tables to cover with a cloth just trade your night stands out with the round tables in the living area you show and then then greenish tables would also jazz up the living area. If you don't like it you haven't lost anything just trade em back.
  • rgrindrod
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice! It is a king size bed btw. Here's results from shopping today. The bed will obviously be made more precisely in the future- just want to get an update back quickly. Does this work?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Sorry big miss. Remove table near corner. Lamps don't make things look better. You need some color. Get large bedding. This looks like queen sized bedding on king size bed. Walmart has nice king size bedding that would help room a lot. Just get one plug in wall lamp. Style table with nice book can pretty coffee cup on top.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Remove small wall hanging. Hung too high and doesn't help your look.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Here is a set from Walmart - 7 piece. Nice look with the rug too. Then find a plug in wall hang sconce/light for side of bed with table.

bedding · More Info
    $44.99. Can't beat that.

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

No side tables / no lamps / no itty-bitty picture. If the wood floor is decent get rid of the rug. You really need a bedspread with some color and pattern, cheap is fine - BB&B, WalMart. Just remember, you're trying to sell and "space sells".

Just saw Flo's post - perfect!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

plug in wall lamp · More Info
    Plug in wall lamp, with cover for wire. I would like a better style, but this gives you the idea anyway. $57.49. I would like something more "girlie".

• rgrindrod
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh man, didn't realize I was so off. Okay, I'll see what I can fix tomorrow. Yes that picture isn't meant to be there anymore, too small. The floor is in good condition. Thanks.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    I don't think you missed the mark except that the comforter or duvet looks too small and is not covering the sides of the bed. You are better off with white bedding over a pattern. A white duvet cover over an old comforter would do the trick
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Here is the problem
  • User
    7 years ago

you got great suggestions.....what's on the opposite side of the wall. Have you ever thought of turning the bed around so that the head of the bed is in front of the other window.....it seems like you have plenty of room that way.

• User
    7 years ago

I don't think this is it...

Think hotel. Everything is neat and white and puffy. Try turning your comforter the other way and tucking it in. It should be (from the mattress up) fitted sheet, flat sheet, comforter, flat sheet. The first flat sheet meets headboard, the comforter and top sheet about 8 inches down. Then fold the first sheet over and tuck the whole thing in on the sides.

You might have a coverlet to fold at the foot of the bed (you can use a twin size if you have to buy it)

Lots of pillows. If you use shams, make sure they're filled out well (those you have don't)...

I like the lamps....not so much the tables.

You should remove one of the dressers.

Remove the rug as it looks dirty in the photos (not saying it is, it just photographs that way)

Is it possible to do a different layout in the room?

rgrindrod thanked User
  • Jennifer Dube
    7 years ago

It's a king bed? Do you have a queen in another room? If so, I'd put a queen in here, then you will have plenty of space for nightstands and the room will look more spacious, which is what you are going for. Or consider other layouts, including ditching one or both of the dressers.

Do you know sometimes stagers will put in a fake bed which is full sized, to give the illusion of a more spacious bedroom? This is a trick I watch for when house shopping, as it can be misleading.... but if you are selling not buying, it's a trick to know.

From the picture alone, I really thought it was a queen sized bed -- and your potential buyer is going to look at the photos in the listing first! If you are stuck with the king sized bed, then get rid of the nightstands entirely as they are making the room look less spacious than it obviously is, if it can fit a king.

When we staged our place to sell, all the bedrooms were tiny. In the master, the stager (our RE agent) had us re-position the bed, remove the rug, and remove a nightstand. He wanted us to remove both nightstands, but I needed at least one nightstand so we compromised and kept a smaller scaled one. For the guest bedroom, which looked cramped with dresser + full sized bed (and no nightstands), he had us remove ALL the furniture entirely. For the kids' bedrooms, he had us remove everything (dressers, nightstands) but their single beds, and a floor lamp. In the kids rooms we kept the rugs simply because the floors were not in great shape. He also had us empty out the bedroom closets as much as possible: we cleared the kids' closets entirely and packed away 2/3's of our clothes in the master.

We did not buy new bedding, but have always used a king-sized comforter on our queen sized bed, as it covers everything better. I've never been great at making a bed but I made the effort while the place was on the market.

rgrindrod thanked Jennifer Dube
  • rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    I would purchase a box spring cover. They are tailored to fit just the box spring and be nice and neat. Don't try to use a flat sheet , or whatever that is on the box spring. I like the old tables better, and would try them with the new lamps. I would add some white curtain panels on the windows, and move the nightstand over on the left to in front of that window, and then move the bed over so there's more breathing room around the bed. I would remove the rug and then make the bed exactly how it's described above. Maybe a nice white fluffy shag rug just next to the bed on the left? Just a thought.
    rgrindrod thanked rocketjcat
  • rgrindrod
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Okay what I hear is that my bed is shoved over too far right. I moved it left a little now. I wanted the see through minimal tables because I wanted it to kind of disappear against the wall and seem light and airy. My room is 15'x15'. It's amazing how much bigger a professional photographer will make things look once I get photos taken. Here's some better views of around the room-
  • PRO
    Chad Dixon
    7 years ago

Looks great. Don't sweat it too much. Light, bright, open, clean, and fresh air. 1st rule: offend no one. Your closets should be organized and 1/3 to 1/2 empty. Eliminate offensive odors without using chemical scents to mask.

rgrindrod thanked Chad Dixon
  • Tems
    7 years ago

I think the rug is a minus. Almost anything would be better. Including going without a rug.

rgrindrod thanked Tems
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    If you keep lamps, remove clear covering from shades.
    rgrindrod thanked Flo Mangan
  • eelh
    7 years ago

Suggest remove small picture and lamp on the chest between closets. Small plain lamp with plain bottom, leave on when house is shown. Great windows so do a mirror over this chest , a little less wide than the chest and a little less high than to top of closet doors. Will get multiplied light reflection.

Might consider Atlantis over the sink mirror, WalMart $33, or something equivalent that you like and can take with you, and Walmart Better Homes and Gardens lamp https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-TL9287-Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Ivory-Table-Lamp-with-Oval-Hardback-Shade/43938608

if the proportion looks right.

rgrindrod thanked eelh
  • rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    The bed looks much better! That little picture keeps reappearing! Ha. I can't see the subject but If you really need to use it, I think it should at least be lowered to just a few inches over the dresser. Or replace it with an attractive mirror and remove the cheval mirror. Still like the character/color of the previous nightstands, these give me a kind of "spare room" feeling.
    rgrindrod thanked rocketjcat
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Clear the walls and get rid of the cheval mirror. It just emphasizes that there is no mirror at the dresser. Simple is better. Add an attractive bouquet of real flowers on the dresser for showings. They will keep in the fridge between showings over a few days. I would remove the silvery pillow - too fou-fou for the style of your bed and the geometric coverlet. It is a masculine looking bedroom, so just keep it that way. I would look for a rug to replace this one and that you can take to your new home. The rug is bringing the whole room down.

Homearama Rock Springs 2013 · More Info

The Sandberg Home · More Info

rgrindrod thanked decoenthusiaste
  • mramsey
    7 years ago

decoenthusiastic is right on the money here! I would do everything she says and in addition, move the dinky lamp off the dresser.

rgrindrod thanked mramsey
  • User
    7 years ago

It really depends on your market, too.

Where we used to live, I didn't have to do anything to sell. Where I am now the expectations are much, much higher.

rgrindrod thanked User
  • rgrindrod
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah it is definitely a sellers market where I am- so I need to make it just presentable and clean looking/non offensive. Thanks everyone.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

rgrindrod, you have been a good sport! Good luck!

rgrindrod thanked Kathi Steele
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    What i strive for is max dollars in my client's pocket. It is "all about details." Research has shown, that people make "go or no go" decisions on a home within 6-8 SECONDS of entering a home. It is all about the feeling they get. So go outside, critically examine what a buyer sees in walk up to house, porch, condition of front door and entry area. That is first impression zone. Next is kitchen. From there itvis only confirming or raising questions. Hope those tips help and best of luck!
    rgrindrod thanked Flo Mangan
  • rgrindrod
    Original Author
    7 years ago

as follow up, here was the final product. House went under contract quite quickly. Thanks for all your help.

• jdgail
    7 years ago

Congrats!

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Wow!! You did an awesome job!! Good luck!

• Steph
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the update. Looks professionally staged. Great job!
    rgrindrod thanked Steph
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Fantastic. Very nice job and you incorporated many tips very well. Congrats!

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    You have shown everyone how a well made bed and neat room is the key to staging for sale. The importance of having quality photos done after getting the room prepped can't be stressed enough. Take time for that step and you will reap the rewards of a quick sale.
    Congratulations!