Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason_jennings49

Anyone ever use plastic fencing as a trellis?

Jason
7 years ago

I was about ready to pull the trigger one a "deluxe" cucumber trellis but didn't want to spend the $60 for it. Then I figured I would build mine own as I have some 1" wide cedar lumber and some nylon trellis material. I realized I was out of the nylon and went to buy some more when I thought of my back garden that I had erected a plastic fence around (to keep deer out) and remembered how much the squash and cucumbers had climbed it and thought maybe I could use that instead. This is the product I bought:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-40-in-x-25-ft-Green-Plastic-Garden-Fence-889250EB12/206478200

Has anyone every used this specifically for a trellis? Any concerns as to using this as a trellis? It would be a lot more sturdy than the nylon net trellis I used in the past. My only thought is the spacing between the lines might be too close? I figured I could cut out some cross lines to make the squares larger.

Thoughts?

Comments (21)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

I think the fencing itself would be fine for anything with tendrils as long as it was supported robustly. I'd suggest something bigger than 1 inch for the posts and hammer them well into the ground. Or use the one inch but add bracing stays at an angle.

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

Your concerns with too fine mesh are well founded. You'll have a significant number of deformed fruit using it. Look for larger openings. You should be able to find something at a reasonable price.

• Labradors
    7 years ago

It would work.

I only grow cukes in groups of three. I have a tall wooden structure from which I hang some twine for the pole beans and cukes. I have to wind the cukes every day, but it works really well for Baby Fingers.

Linda

7 years ago

You can clean, sanitize, and reuse a plastic mesh many times. I would also stay clear of wood that cannot be sanitized.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

Barrie - how does the mesh size deform the fruit? Don't they hang down the sides of the netting rather than growing through the holes? I was seeing the mesh as support for the tendrils only, not as something the cucumbers themselves would interact with.

• thepodpiper
    7 years ago

I am also curious as to why you would need to sanitize the wood?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    7 years ago

Been using plastic fencing for years. Agree with floral that you'll need a post thicker than 1 inch for cukes and squash otherwise the whole thing is going to become a collapsed mess. Also agree with Barrie that you'll have to be on the lookout to prevent the fruits from getting stuck in the fence. If a cucumber fruit grows throw the fence it will have a girdling effect on the fruit and you'll have to cut it out.

Rodney

7 years ago

Thanks Rodney for answer. I tried to pull up a photo of a cucumber caught in even my larger 4x6" mesh but couldn't find. Those blossoms can try to set fruit in the oddest places.

For prevention of harmful fungal and bacterial diseases replacing wood is often one of the first recommendations. Even some insects like stink bugs will overwinter in and around wood.

• Jason
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I think I am going to try using this fence material but cutting out cross lines to make the grid holes large. The idea is to create an inverted V shaped trellis that comes of the side of one of my beds, goes up and over a dead spot in the area, and the other legs rest on the arch wall. This will create an archway trellis where hopefully the veggies will grow and hang down and I can go underneath it and harvest. See my rudimentary drawing below. This should allow me to maximize my 4x8' bed on the left as the zuchini took up a lot of space last year.

On the bed picture below, you will see the trellis I built with 1" (I think) cedar lumber and nylon trellis netting. I was thinking of using those same lumber to build my v shape for the cucumber and zucchini trellis. You really dont think 3-4 poles on each V side would be strong enough?

7 years ago

I don't want to suggest too many changes since you are on the right path. I just believe most Vic's will soon outgrow the shorter trellis. I can't harp too much since mine are always taller than I plan.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"I was thinking of using those same lumber to build my v shape for the
    cucumber and zucchini trellis. You really dont think 3-4 poles on each V
    side would be strong enough?"

A V-shaped trellis has more structure to it and is more rigid than a stand alone trellis (like the one you have in your pic) so a 1 inch lumber might work.

Oh, and here's a pic (not mine) of a cucumber stuck in a chicken wire trellis. It shows the girdling effect that I mentioned earlier.

Rodney

• Jason
    Original Author
    7 years ago

" I just believe most Vic's will soon outgrow the shorter trellis." When you say "Vic's", what do you mean?

Last year when I built my raised beds, it was my first year growing vegetables. My snow peas definitely grew higher than that trellis could go.

• Jason
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I cut some sections out of the fencing to create a new trellis hole. First is the stock at 1x1, then 2x2, and then 3.25x3.25 squares. Trying to decide which I want to go with....maybe the 3.25 x 3.25?

7 years ago

Sorry, meant "Cucs ".

• Labradors
    7 years ago

Does it really matter if the odd cuke gets stuck in a square? My plants are so prolific that I really don't think I would care! In addition, I'm outside checking on them every day, so I'd probably spot any problem.

Linda

• Jason
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Linda, that too is a valid point. I think with the way I will setup a trellis, it might be nice to have a larger square to pull cukes through to dangle.

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    7 years ago

I have used that exact type of fencing for growing cucumbers (and peas) and never bothered to make the squares larger. If i did have cucumbers caught in between them I don't remember it. Besides, the small effort of removing a couple cucumbers from between fencing is far outweighed by the much larger effort of cutting out all those squares in my opinion.

• Jason
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It is snowing in the Seattle area and I am on paternity leave, so I have a little time for projects inside. Im going to go ahead and cut it down to a 2x2 square. I will post some pictures of progress.

• Jason
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Would cucumbers, melons, and squash climb and go up and over the top of a L shaped trellis? I was thinking about doing an inverted L shape trellis on the bed I showed in the pictures with an existing trellis by adding on to the top horizontally. That trellis definitely wasn't tall enough last year and with the bed on legs, extending it more vertically would make maintenance challenging.
  • Jason
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hum, @Gardening Organic had posted a link about using PVC and plastic netting. I saw the email, but its not hre. Anyways, that seems like a pretty dang good idea. You can even make an A frame pretty easy! I will add this to my list of things to do :)