Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillina_jarso96

Help! Bathroom temp/budget update.

H J
7 years ago
We just moved into our new house and don't have the money to renovate the bathroom, but strongly dislike it. Brown patterned tile in the shower/ceiling, red/orange counter tiles, dark cabinet.

I've covered the shower with a curtain because I hat the look of the ugly brown tile "cave" with visible soap scum. Want to get away from the brown and red. May not be able to do so with the shower, but any ideas how to update this thing to make it look better? We hope to be able to totally redo it in a year or two. In the meantime, all I've done is curtains and floor mats.

Paint the cabinets? I've heard about painting tiles but I'm. It sure how it would work on these red (glass?) tiles. ANY ideas on how to make this look different/better? Color suggestions needed as well!

Comments (18)

• H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also, this is our kids and guest bathroom!
  • P Banos
    7 years ago

I think Jess has some good ideas, but if you are planning a change down the road, I'd live with the sinks until that time. I agree that painting the tile is not the way to go. I think that kids+painted counter = not good.

The grey/cream floor mat and curtain are fine, but they do not compliment the tile. I'd rather see colors that complimented the tile.

In the meantime, a window dressing, hung high to expand the window's appearance would draw the eye to the window.

I'd also think about corralling the small items on the counter in a wide rectangular tray or basket. The open shelves are best for attractive items, they don't even have to be "bathroom" products, not as storage.

You've got room for a toilet paper stand, if you aren't ready to hang one.

I'd get something going on between the mirrors. If that ceiling light is the only light, additional lighting would be good, but you may need to wait for a remodel. Might be hard to match the mirrors with a third one. Some damp-friendly art would be interesting, or a wall-hung item.

I can't tell where the wallpaper fits in the room?

• H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That "wallpaper" is actually the shower tile.

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm really not into the red/yellow orange tile, so I can't imagine bringing in a rug that has any similarities.

I did purchase a paper towel holder to be mounted.

I hadn't thought of window coverings in a bathroom.
  • H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh and I agree about doing something with the items on the counter and shelf. That isn't the long term plan. Excuse the junk right now!!

I keep thinking I want neutral additions in order to calm the bathroom down. Maybe some art that included brown or red?
  • Sammy
    7 years ago

That last picture is the shower tile?? I, too, thought it was a wallpaper that you were considering. Ha!

• PRO
    Furnishr
    7 years ago

I would recommend changing the bathroom mat to a dark color to match the wooden ceiling. Also, the shower curtains should be clear to give it a bright color. Maybe a few decorations for your sink will make it stand out too.

• H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, it's tile. Weird! And that pattern just collects soap scum.
  • H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    And the ceiling isn't wood, it's that brown wallpaper looking tile!
  • PRO
    Louise Pearson
    7 years ago

I would update the shelves over the toilet and change out the mirrors.

• PRO
    Interiors By Deborah Beaman LLC
    7 years ago

Since you can't replace the tile, you need to bring the attention away from it. You could add a tall plant or cabinet between the sinks. Also, I would update the lighting in the bathroom. Lighting can change the feeling of a room in an instant.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

I think that tile is from a company called Interceramic, FYI. Now, since you're redoing it all in a year or two, I wouldn't throw any more time or significant $$ into it. I'd replace the brown rug and mat with fluffy white ones and take down the sheer curtain. You could also maybe float some shelves between the mirrors.

• H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    P Banos what's your suggestion for Rugs that compliment the tile? And what type of window covering.

The sheer curtain was one I already had that I thought softened up the harsh room. No curtain or clear is not an option, in my opinion. The shower has clear glass doors, but as I've mentioned, the tile looks terrible and grimy. We've tried cleaning it, but just can get it to look good. I. Could consider another Material as mentioned. But I guess I'd need to decide whether to do window coverings and be sure they'll look ok together.

Regarding white Rugs/mats - I love white! But the floors and other parts of the room are off white-ish colors. They are kind of drab, like the bathroom. I think white will make it look worst and stand out too much. Also, I have two little boys :). White Rugs might be scary. Ha!
  • H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I will definitely get a plant and possible try it between the mirrors!
  • H J
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Any thoughts on painting the cabinets?
  • P Banos
    7 years ago

Wow that's some shower tile...it sure looked like wallpaper to me.

If you dislike the orange/red then you might as well stick with the taupe and ignore the red tiles until you can change them.

I just replaced my upstairs shower curtain with a color-block one that is white for the top 1/4 and taupe on the bottom 3/4. It looks nice and modern.

I was thinking a roman shade, hung above the window casing, like in this picture. Since you have the frosted glass, skip the blinds. It will give the illusion of a taller window without blocking the light from the actual window.

If you choose well, it can stay when you remodel.

• Greta Bob
    7 years ago
    You have bathroom plan similar to the one I have. My idea would be to install glass shower doors if it fits your budget. Grey subway tiles on the wall, you can do all wall of half way and leave the wall white. Install rustic grey wood imitated tiles and for the color pop bamboo or oak double vanity with big mirror.
  • Natallia
    6 years ago

What did you end up doing?

I agree with both Jess's and P Banos's suggestions. Since you already have those colours, you have to work with them and try and make them less standing out. Bringing in yet another colour will make it all look mismatched.

Jess's rug pattern will look really well in this space. Take P Banos's advise re the roman shade, I think it's a great idea. Pick something with brownish accent. Get a matching colour for your shower curtain, if you must have one. Put a tall floor plant in the corner where your basket is standing. Replace the shelves to match the cabinets (since you are not changing the cabinets, and painting them is not a good idea). I would put the same shelves between the mirrors, or would hang some plants on the wall between the mirrors. Or get some art the size of your mirrors and hang it on the same level at the bottom of the mirrors (to hide as much tile as possible). Put two baskets between the sinks - it will make the counter space organised and will hide the tiles. That's what I would do.