Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guccilina

Need Help Painting Cabinets, etc.. keeping appliances. Please help, this kitchen needs some love!

guccilina
10 years ago
We just bought a house and our kitchen is old and ugly, it requires work! Can not afford new kitchen, but would like to improve the look with a limited budget. ...Any ideas???? Please help

Comments (44)

• elklaker
    10 years ago
    My first question is why is the dishwasher facing in that direction? Anyway, i think that your first weapon is paint. The cabinets are not horrible. Wall color is needed. Remove the curtain and the scalloped piece over the sink. What is the backsplash? Hard to see. New cabinet hardware. It's a great size with lots of potential. I am sure that you will get lots of wonderful suggestions.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Biggest bang for your buck: new hardware on cabinets, rotate dishwasher, and remove or paint backsplash area to match more of the tone of your floor.
  • heinz9
    10 years ago
    You could also resurface the cabinets if that is in the budget (painting the face frames and installing new doors). If not then painting is your best option. Adding a ceramic tile backsplash is very affordable and easy enough to DIY. I'd also recommend looking into the idea of turning the dishwaher too. It does look odd and it's not very practical. Typically, you'd want to be able to access the dishwasher while standing in front of your sink.
  • guccilina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas! What is the right Color of Paint for Cabinets?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    The wood does not look too "worn" - Maybe do your upper cabinets first. Paint color is pretty much whatever "you" like. There is no "right" color :-) Have seen some nice painted kitchens in soft sage, grays, whites/ivories, blues. Look around here and post some kitchens you like the look of in your idea book :-)
    [houzz=
    White & Green Cottage Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Painted Cabinets · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Ashbury Heights Victorian's Remodeled Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • guccilina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes! Definitely will rotate the dishwasher :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Also.....please remove the dated window treatment. You really don't need one. Please remove the blinds unless you need them. I would have to see a closer look at your window to see if you should have anything at all there. Sometimes less is more.
  • elklaker
    10 years ago
    If you decide to paint the cabinets (which I would do only after you tackle the other things), I would suggest a deeper tone as the appliances and floor are lighter. Some contrast is needed.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I see nothing wrong with the cabinets. The wood warms the kitchen. Replace the hardware, add a backsplash in taupe tones and paint in warm taupe tones. Remove the window treatment. Turn dishwasher. Easy fixes. If, after that, you do not like the look, then paint cabinets.
  • elklaker
    10 years ago
    Exactly, cdrdesign!
  • guccilina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ????
  • PRO
    Seana Stockton Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would first rotate the dishwasher s it is faced in the direction of the kitchen. Change out the molding of the cabinets and pant it a color. Since you are keeping your appliances, I would go for a moss green or even a taupe color. Then, update your hardware. If the budget can support it, add a subway tile backsplash.
  • sassi404
    10 years ago
    I am seeing that the dishwasher is sideways because it does not fit under the cabinet countertop.
  • sassi404
    10 years ago
    My kitchen looked just like that. We are within a week of finishing it...on q ery low budget. Sao far it looks amazing. When it is finished, I will post pictures.
  • sassi404
    10 years ago
    * a very low budget, sorry for the typo
  • guccilina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sassi404 --- I would love to see your pictures. what did you do with dish washer?
  • guccilina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dishwasher does not fit under the cabinet countertop :(
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    So, you are saying that it is too deep. I am not a construction expert in any way.....but I am wondering if modifications could be made.

How much does the dishwasher protrude from the countertop?

I am thinking maybe a trim piece could be placed in front of it. It would have to be done right, so that it does not look awkward.
  • guccilina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, will rotate the dishwasher, also, pls advice where to find kitchen cabinet hardware for a good price. Thank you.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    reasonable prices and many choices:Lowe's and Home Depot.
  • sassi404
    10 years ago
    www.kitchen-cabinet-hardware.com its a Tail of the Lion company. I just bought my hardware there. They price match also, but they are already cheaper than most. Great selection. Tell them Cindy referred you (Sassi404)
  • guccilina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Cindy, will try this
  • sassi404
    10 years ago
    Remove the wood panel in front of the dishwaher area. Turn the dishwasher. Put in a strip matching the cabinet frames and wood panel you removed from floor to ceiling, making the extended part of the dishwasher on the side cohesive. Use removed panel as the new side panel for the dishwasher. With a little finesse and a good eye, you can fill in and extend with matching wood. Butcher block makes a nice addition to the top of the dishwasher and a great place for a countertop microwave or other small kitchen appliance.
  • sassi404
    10 years ago
    If you are trying to match the cabinet hinges, on the back of them is the manufacturer and model. Joshua Berman @ kitchen-cabinet-hardware will help you if needed.
  • sassi404
    10 years ago
    Rachel Pearson will help you also. She is wonderful
  • PRO
    Danver Stainless Outdoor Kitchens
    10 years ago
    Painting the cabinets is definitely the way to go. Here are some powder coats that are virtually maintenance free and look like a million bucks: http://danver.com/doors/and/drawer/fronts/painted-finishes.aspx

Also, to finish the look, the floors need to be changed. I personally think that white for kitchen flooring is outdated and difficult to keep clean-looking. Possibly wood/laminate or a darker tile like the pictures.
    Woodinville Retreat · More Info
  • Kandy S.
    9 years ago
    I used the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit to "paint" some cabinets and they turned out just beautiful! It was very inexpensive, but slightly time consuming. Each step only took me about an hour or two, but needed to dry overnight so it took me about 4 or 5 days to complete the project - but it was SO worth it!
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    paint the cabinets white. get new hardware. remove all stuff above window. rotate dishwasher. paint walls. you will be ok. Get yourself to Home depot and purchase 4 of their stock kitchen cabinets places or do Ikea if you have them close. make an island and add some nice countertop. You have instantly added some usefulness to the kitchen.
  • Martha Carlton
    9 years ago
    If the dishwasher is to deep to rotate then cheat the countertop by either ending the current countertop and adding a butcher block top on the dishwasher or purchasing a new countertop fabricated to curve wider at the dishwasher only. We did this in my mother's older home.
  • Jennifer Owen
    9 years ago
    The cabinets are not horrible, but I would remove the window treatments. With paint and a backsplash, it may totally transform the wonderful space that you already have. Moving the dishwasher would be great too:)
  • Donna Seaman Richman
    8 years ago

This is not hard to work with. I also recently purchased a home with a similar problem. Obviously the dishwasher has been addressed already so with that said, paint, paint, paint those cabinets! Also check out your local TJMax and Homegoods stores, I was able to score some beautiful knobs there for very little money. I have attached some photos of my kitchen that I did all myself and for under $1500 ( not including the appliances).

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

sacapuntaslapioz beat me to it. But I'll go anyway.

Buy an island. You will LOVE it.

Monarch Kitchen Island Set By Homestyles, 5021-948 · More Info

48 in. Kitchen Island · More Info

The dishwasher cracked me up. They solved a problem. Too funny.

• beckysimpson1
    7 years ago

No doubt someone who never washed dishes did the dishwasher that way.

• imlost119
    7 years ago
    Desperate for stair landing help!

My landing needs something - I don't want to clutter it or make it too much but I'm stuck. Please help!

We are modern/industrial type style

Thanks so much!
  • PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    7 years ago

Not sure how much light you have here, but if there is plenty, this would be the right cabinet color to go with. On the other hand, if there isn't, go with Antique White or this light gray color.

• imlost119
    7 years ago

oh my goodness - so sorry to do this in your discussion! I'll open my own - my apologies, I thought I had!

• guccilina
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It took me 3 years to give some love to my kitchen, I did paint my cabinets, changed appliances, but my dishwasher :)

• mom22plus2
    7 years ago
    Hi,
    I had the same issue when I moved. I agree with everyone. First, rotate that dishwasher. Lowes has a great paint out from Valspar that is a primer and paint in one. I had it tinted to my favorite white from Benjamin Moore called Cloud White. I would remove the bridge over your window to make it look more modern. Put in new backsplash and hardware. I am including photos of my kitchen before. Keep in mind it was done on a very limited budget. I also put in a new vinyl floor. Everyone thinks its ceramic because it is groutable. I even fooled a contractor who installed my range and he was sitting on the floor at the time. It's a great and inexpensive alternative.
  • janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    I disagree with most of the responses. I get the impression from the photo that the cabinets are flimsy and not in great condition. The fact that what is apparently a standard sized dishwasher doesn't fit under the counter also makes me question the cabinets. How is that even possible?

Painting kitchen cabinets is not a trivial task. I would suggest looking for second hand cabinets. Try Green Demolitions and Habitat for Humanity re-use stores.

Replacing the cabinets will mean new counters are necessary too, but you may be able to find a used kitchen with counters. Otherwise a cheap laminate in a pleasing color can be used for a few years. Or you could get butcher block from ikea or Lumber liquidators.
  • janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    I looked at the photo again and I really don't think the cabinets look good. The toe kick area looks weird - like it it less than 4". Maybe that is why the d/w doesn't fit.

I see only nine cabinets total - six uppers, a standard base, a corner base, and a single cabinet. If you replace the two uppers flanking the window with open shelves, and put cute storage baskets above the fridge instead of a cabinet, then you only need six new cabinets. You can find a nice barely used set somewhere. Or go to Ikea.
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

This post is from 2013 and the OP has already finished her kitchen and done a lovely job:)

• janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    Oops - it does look nice!