Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uhleezah

Asymmetrical dining room help

uhleezah
6 years ago

I am trying to redo my dining room and the dimensions of the room are throwing me a bit. There are two windows on the front wall, which are off center from the chandelier/table. I wanted to hang a mirror on the opposite wall, but neither centering on the wall nor centering on the table looks quite right to me. Any suggestions?? Please pardon the mess and the random test paint colors.

Comments (115)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Legs are too slim. You need larger, newel post type legs to pull this off. You might be able to double up the posts if you can get 4 more, but simple larger ones would look better. Another option, since you are so talented, perhaps you could find two large corbels and that would give the scale you need. I will post a photo. Bbl
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Beach Style Entry · More Info
    Something like these. The top is fairly thin, but those corbel type legs are awesome! That is what you need. You don't even need the length if you have the "bulk". Your round mirror might even work above it similar to this arrangement with a lamp and some beefy candlesticks.

uhleezah thanked Flo Mangan
  • uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a great idea, I will look around for some large corbels or balustrade legs. I love the look of the chunkier legs. Thanks for all your help! I will post a progress picture when I finish the table, but it will take me a little while. =)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I do love a chunkier leg but wanted to show you My entry table it is 92" long with three metal legs and I love it..just a different look but with skinner metal legs...so this is kinda what yours would look like not as long with the three legs you have..I actually think it would work just fine if you decide to go ahead and use them!:))

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Love the room but I feel you need more things relating to each other to blend the room.....tan table, grey rug, white walls, teal curtains all in separate blocks. Is it possible to find art work that has a lot of teal and not so much beige, grey cream and white so that the teal curtains have a mate in the room? I also think you need to go up one more size in the carpet; it isn't big enough to have a presence in the room.....your table is quite large and nice but the size isn't framing the rug....am I off in outer space here?

In the foyer table above there is black in the rug, frames, and table base/legs so black becomes dominanat and the other colors of white and greige support the black....and it looks cohesive and blended....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

this is a piece of art I just love.....it looks so calm and casual..would mix great with your table design and drapes!:)) hang it over the sofa table and flank it with large sconces...

37"x37"

All of these candle sconces are in bronze..I think your chandelier is bronze? But you can mix finishes if you want...

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Home Interiors, that's really helpful to see that foyer table. I contacted the gentleman who turned the legs I currently have to get a quote for chunkier legs, but it's nice to know I have an option if the bigger ones are too pricey. And I love those pottery barn sconces, I had looked at the very same ones :)

Flo, I still love the corbel look, but to get one big enough for a table leg will cost more than I spent on the dining table, benches, and captains chairs combined, yikes!

Susan, I agree the colors need to be tied together. I'll address that eventually, once I get all the big pieces in place. I have some fabric left over from hemming the curtains that I'll encorporate into a table runner and then try to pull in teals with decorations for the console table and walls. The rug is 8x10 and seems to fit the room and table fine.

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Speaking of tying colors together, I know Flo and Home suggested muted Roman shades under the curtains, and I am looking at some driftwood finish Roman shades that match the table color, but I also ran into this fabric on a recent outing and wondered what you thought? Is it small enough scale to not clash with the rug and pull they greys together? Or still too much going on?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Would not be my suggestion..would rather see woven wood shades in a warm color of the table or floors...it would make a nice table runner and use the teal as a trim or border!:))

love the wide runner across the table rather than lengthwise very Farmhouse Chic I would say!!

uhleezah thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Too much. Light colored woven shades would be my choice I wouldn't do too dark.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Something like the light tortoise in that last photo HWEI posted.
  • uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oooo, like the runner idea. Ok, I'll try natural Roman shades

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

If your dining table is being used by the young ones everyday, I would get the solid, washable placemats in maybe your blues/teals, nothing fabric. I get a little practical when it comes to your room because of the way you will and are using it everyday. Maybe for dinners you could do the cross wise runner concept.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

It's fabric it can be washed...and you can leave it and add your plastic wipeable placematts on top..easy breezy! Simple detail not important...

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Haha, yes! I have three little boys 2, 5, and 7 who use this daily, so practical is big for me. =) Thankfully no need for placemats, the table itself is solid oak with a polyurethane topcoat and pretty much bulletproof...the fewer things I have to wipe down the better. But it does mean my runner will need to be more of a long placemat that doesn't reach any edges so no one is eating over top of it.... or tempted to yank it from under the table =)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Found these on Etsy.com today thought I would share:)

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Progress update. Console table is finished! Decided to give the skinnier legs a try and I do like how it turned out. Still need to find all my accents/wall decor/etc, but we're heading the right direction. Thanks for all of your thoughts/ideas!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Uhleeza you are amazing!! It is wonderful...ok now be sure the acessories are a good size and make a big impact...no tiny things here and there!... Art first before acessories...you have to be patient:)) I can't tell you again how happy I am that you painted those walls!!!!! It looks so pretty and cohesive..now when you add your color and accessories they will really be special in that calm neutral space:)

• happyleg
    6 years ago

That's so nice. One large art over table. What is the color finish?

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Table finish is minwax aged oak, whitewashed and then sanded. Home Interiors...good reminder to be patient with the accessories, I imagine the art piece will influence what looks best around it.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Uhleezah, that is beautiful!!! You did a wonderful job!! Perfect size & color!! Love the room!!! Best wishes with the upcoming choices for finishing touches to your dining room!!
    uhleezah thanked Tammy Lawhorn
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Very nice job! Like the length a lot. I think I would prefer you have one large piece of art rather than smaller grouping, but that is kind of your personal touch. The finish you got on that table is really "pro"!

• happyleg
    6 years ago

Thanks. Did u have to seal it too?

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yep, I used General Finishes flat water based finish, which I really loved. But I've also used minwax polyacrylic on similar pieces with good results too.

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kjoy1, love the botanicals direction. Flo, I think I agree in leaning toward a single large piece. I saw this one from pier 1 that I actually really liked. Trying to decide if it would be too much white on white with the white background. And also if the sizing is correct. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Omg I love that!! It is beautiful...colors are so fresh...... that way you can accessories on each side.....I like that it is vertical that way it is not the same size as your mirror.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

You could always touch up the frame with a bit more color if you thought you needed it. You could also do a horizontal piece to repeat your "lengths of sofa table and dining table." I like HIWE's idea of the height and maybe sconces of some type on the sides. I think that would be good too, because it would raise the eye and make your ceiling look taller. I love the colors in the leaves in that piece too.

• uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ok friends, is this art working? Any thoughts for the table decor, particularly that right side

• Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Looks great uhleeza!! Maybe a large grapevine wrapped wine bottle. Or a glass sculpture of some kind
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Or some large candlesticks
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh that art is fabulous!! What a transformation!!

Remove the small basket on the right....take the two baskets you have on the bottom left and put them on the bottom right and add the one large empty vase up onto the right side.....it look just wonderful just a bit heavy on the left so just move the lower baskets over to lower right..give a try see what you think..

• everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

As nature is that way: I don't mind nothing on the right... I like the eucalyptus type already there... sweet.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Just wonderful! Well done.
  • uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Quick opinion poll, Roman shade or no Roman shade under the drapes??

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Roman shade for sure very nice finished look..did you make them..what is the color? Hard to tell

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

A woven Roman would give a more organic feel like your art..but that Roman looks nice.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Ditto what Flo said!!! You are doing a great job!!
  • uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did make them, they are faux shades. The colors are blues and off white. Enough fabric for 2 shades and a table runner was $12 at a Williams & Sherrill outlet, so I figured it was worth trying. I'd still be open to trying natural shades of the look of these doesn't mesh with the rest of the room.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh I love the texture But they look like a neutral pattern......what is blue?

• Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    I like this fabric uhleezah!! I think it ties into your rug and table nicely.
  • happyleg
    6 years ago

I like the shade.

• Trem Wills
    6 years ago
    Such a good thread. Nice transformation. And yes to the Roman shade
    uhleezah thanked Trem Wills
  • uhleezah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The pattern is 2 shades of light blue/green. I guess you could call it a neutral, it does seem to tie in the rug well. Thanks for all the feedback! Very helpful, I will finish up the other shade.

• Kim
    6 years ago

Very impressed with how productive you've been with this room and the amazing help you are getting. The botanical print is the perfect choice to tie the whole room together. Love it.

uhleezah thanked Kim
  • PRO
    Rodhelen Liao/Compass Real Estate
    5 years ago
    Question: how’d you make the shades? Btw, I love this post! It’s so awesome to see the fabulous transformation!
  • Kate Ciesielka
    5 years ago
    Maybe I missed this but can you rotate the table the other direction??
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Old post from August 2017

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    How about you draw up a to-scale floor plan showing the location of the windows and doors, and the size of the table. You will get more appropriate suggestions if we know how the room is built.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Old post....August 2017.....room is done and gorgeous!